IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Suspension Problem - Veers to the right

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 11:23 PM
ukali10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Suspension Problem - Veers to the right

I having the same problem for IS 350 which I bought last December with Dunlop SportMax tires. I took it to the dealer for my 5K service last week. They didn't want to fix it and they asked me to replace the right RIM and tire which cost about $1250 because there was very tiny dent at the corner of the right rim. I called Lexus 800-25-Lexus and complaint. They told me someone will get back to me next week.
Old 07-04-06, 08:33 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ukali10
I having the same problem for IS 350 which I bought last December with Dunlop SportMax tires. I took it to the dealer for my 5K service last week. They didn't want to fix it and they asked me to replace the right RIM and tire which cost about $1250 because there was very tiny dent at the corner of the right rim. I called Lexus 800-25-Lexus and complaint. They told me someone will get back to me next week.
Definitely stick with your complaint, let 800-Lexus know that you are well aware you're not the only IS350 owner having problems like this! I've taken my car into the dealershp a handfull of times for this problem, they've tried a number if things, now they say they think they''ve got it right, said the steering wheel was a little off, but I'm doubtful. I know of several IS owners where the dealer replaced all Dunlop's wtih Bridgestone's and it completely remedied the problem, ask 800 Lexus about that! Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-04-06, 10:26 AM
06LexIS
Driver

wow, I'm having the same issue on my 250. I took the car in and the service manager told me about the camber issue and that they would take care of it.
The tech wrote that during his test drive he didn't feel the car pulling to the right so all he did was re-align the car
After the alignment the car pulled barely to the right, not as bad as before.
But after driving the car for a few days, the pulling to the right is back, I check my tire pressure on a weekly basis when they are cold.
Last night I went around town looking for a nice straight paved road and anything over 30 mph, the car pulls to the right.
I'm calling the dealer back again this week to see if they want to change the bushing. My car just broke the 7K mark.

I'll let you guys know the outcome.

P.S. my wife's 250 so far doesn't pull to the right and she has 800 miles on it, go figure
Old 07-04-06, 11:47 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
wow, I'm having the same issue on my 250. I took the car in and the service manager told me about the camber issue and that they would take care of it.
The tech wrote that during his test drive he didn't feel the car pulling to the right so all he did was re-align the car
After the alignment the car pulled barely to the right, not as bad as before.
But after driving the car for a few days, the pulling to the right is back, I check my tire pressure on a weekly basis when they are cold.
Last night I went around town looking for a nice straight paved road and anything over 30 mph, the car pulls to the right.
I'm calling the dealer back again this week to see if they want to change the bushing. My car just broke the 7K mark.

I'll let you guys know the outcome.

P.S. my wife's 250 so far doesn't pull to the right and she has 800 miles on it, go figure
ST004-01 REPAIR MANUAL SUPPLEMENT: VEHICLE PULLING TO ONE SIDE (REVISED) 4/4/2006 - 2002 – 2007 model year Lexus vehicles.
This bulletin contains general vehicle pulling diagnosis and repair procedures along with specific information to help correct pulling complaints.
This information supplements Repair Manual procedures when the symptoms are:
�� The driver holds the steering wheel without exerting steering effort while driving
straight ahead, and the vehicle drifts to the right or the left.
�� While driving straight ahead, the driver has to steer either to the right or the left to maintain straight driving.
Old 07-04-06, 03:39 PM
06LexIS
Driver

dkaplan435, I can't even let go the steering wheel for 3 sec it pulls to the right, so it's a legitimate complaint.
My wife's Del Sol with 200K steers better then my almitghy Lex, it's fustrating especially since I don't have the time to keep taking my car back to the dealer for every creek.
Old 07-12-06, 02:28 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone else with this problem gotten anything done about it? I just called the Lexus 800# this morning and complained; I also let them know about the other IS owners who have gotten tires replaced to fix the problem. They've promised me a call back in 1-2 business days. We'll see what happens... I just want my car to drive straight!!!

Javier
Old 07-12-06, 03:55 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

i have had this issue since day one all the way back in october and i have taken it in numerous times. First time they did an alignment, then they did another alignment, then they unmounted and rotated the tires, the car still pulled in the same direction so they gave me new tires, it helped the problem but it didn't fix the problem, then i had another alignment, and another one, then they changed my "casper bracket" and this dramatically improved the problem but there is still a ever so slight pull to the right. If anyone can get the dealer to fix this PERFECTLY please post and let other know what they did to solve the issue.
Old 07-12-06, 06:16 PM
tsp5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mofogasm
i have had this issue since day one all the way back in october and i have taken it in numerous times. First time they did an alignment, then they did another alignment, then they unmounted and rotated the tires, the car still pulled in the same direction so they gave me new tires, it helped the problem but it didn't fix the problem, then i had another alignment, and another one, then they changed my "casper bracket" and this dramatically improved the problem but there is still a ever so slight pull to the right. If anyone can get the dealer to fix this PERFECTLY please post and let other know what they did to solve the issue.

What type of replacement tires did they give you? When I had this problem a while back, the dealer originally tried swapping out the existing tires (Dunlops) with a brand new set of Dunlops, but the problem was still there. They ended up ordering a set of MIchelins and this completely resolved the issue in my case, no pull in either direction. If it was there, believe me, I would notice, it drove me crazy the first month or so.
Old 07-12-06, 10:19 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tsp5
What type of replacement tires did they give you? When I had this problem a while back, the dealer originally tried swapping out the existing tires (Dunlops) with a brand new set of Dunlops, but the problem was still there. They ended up ordering a set of MIchelins and this completely resolved the issue in my case, no pull in either direction. If it was there, believe me, I would notice, it drove me crazy the first month or so.

What type of Michelins did they give you. Did they do ANYTHING besides an alignment and the tires? Do you have ANY pull whatsoever? I've been dealing with this pull for the past 6500 miles, since October. They're ordering new tires but I fear it's never gonna go away.

Another note, the dealership told me that when they "road-force" balance the tires, some tires are "weaker" and that the disparity between the two from was 11 or 12, meaning the right tire was 14 and the left was a 3? Not sure if this has anything to do with the pull at all?
Old 07-13-06, 06:25 AM
tsp5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES3
What type of Michelins did they give you. Did they do ANYTHING besides an alignment and the tires? Do you have ANY pull whatsoever? I've been dealing with this pull for the past 6500 miles, since October. They're ordering new tires but I fear it's never gonna go away.

Another note, the dealership told me that when they "road-force" balance the tires, some tires are "weaker" and that the disparity between the two from was 11 or 12, meaning the right tire was 14 and the left was a 3? Not sure if this has anything to do with the pull at all?
They gave me Michelin Pilot Sports. They didn't do anything else to the car other than an alignment. I've racked up over 12,000 miles since then and there has been no pull whatsoever.
Old 07-13-06, 08:22 AM
06LexIS
Driver

I dropped my car off on Tuesday and I just recieved a call from Lexus of Pleasanton. I must say that there service is A+. I spoke to a technician by the name of Ted in regards to a few issues that I've been having with my IS.

The 6SPD tranny noise, sounds like a rattle when shifting at low speed/ in traffic from 1st to 2nd gear, he drove my car and decided to call their headquater in Irvine and spoke to two engineers. They both mentioned that they have recieved several complaints in terms of the 6 speed issues but theres no fix at the moment, the advise me to change to a synthetic based tranny fluid like Mobil one 75W-90 or any other GL-5 gear oil to see if this would cure the issue. I was also informed that the same tranny on the IS250 is found on the tacoma TRD 6spd with different gear ratios but they haven't gotten any complain from that side yet.

Now back to the veering issue, they did a 4 wheel re-alignegment, the car veered to the right, they checked all the bushings and then decided to replaced the bushings on the left side of the car, re-aligned the car, test drove it and still pulled to the right, replaced right side bushings re-aligned, still pulled and now they just ordered a set of Dunlop's to see if the problem goes away.

I can't complain, I've been driving a Smokey granite 2007 ES350 with less then 300 miles for the past two days as a loaner car
Old 07-14-06, 08:50 PM
06LexIS
Driver

Well, this evening I picked up my car from the dealer and the veering to the right is GONE
They replaced my front tires, re-aligned the car and completed my 10K maintenance.
All I have to say is; so far, its tracking good.
Old 07-14-06, 09:40 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still waiting for a call back from Lexus...

Javier
Old 07-15-06, 10:15 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
Well, this evening I picked up my car from the dealer and the veering to the right is GONE
They replaced my front tires, re-aligned the car and completed my 10K maintenance.
All I have to say is; so far, its tracking good.
Congrats! What type of tires did the trick?
Old 07-16-06, 03:39 AM
06LexIS
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Congrats! What type of tires did the trick?
Same as stock.

Quick Reply: IS350 Suspension Problem - Veers to the right