IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Wood Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 05:12 PM
lexi06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06LexIS350
I have owned Mercedes, BMW and Audi...All with wood. The Audi by far has the most real type of wood and the most beautiful.

I am not a stranger to wood in the car. This is different. The hose was plastic, the kind at the car wash to vacuum the car.

It just brushed up against the wood and dug in deep....The wood is not scratched...just the top protective part.

It is junk.....Just like the same thing Apple went thru on the new Nano...Fact is they can coat the wood with many things...the current solution is not good.

On top of that there is the fact that the metal looking side plates by the shift **** are all scratched up as well.

If your cell phone or keys touch this wood it will destroy it...If you put your mail on the wood and it slides it will scratch it.

Trust me when I tell you there is a problem here......I am a luxury car owner of several types and I know what the deal is.

This is a Lexus issue...
I just hope they stand by their product. I know Benz, BMW and Audi would....

I just love the car...It is so fast, beautiful and gets tons of looks...It is silver with the black interior....

I recommend the car...just watch out for the wood

At least the carbody isn't scratched right? What's worse? Minor scratches inside or some truck on the highway passes you with rocks from the tires hitting your windshield, fender, etc.?
Old 02-01-06, 05:57 PM
pumper
Rookie

I wish I had seen this thread before I picked up my car. Putting my seat belt on at the dealership, I lightly touched the wood with the buckle. A three-quarter inch scratch resulted -- the very first time I put my seat belt on! I now wrap my pinkie around the buckle before I get it near the wood trim. The finish on the wood is rather soft. Something more durable and less prone to scratching would have been better.

Someone commented earlier about BMW's wood not getting scratched as easily. I had a '97 M3 with the luxury package, which included wood trim. The center console had a beautiful piece of wood trim molded around it. Mine didn't get scratched too much, but the wood delaminated in several areas. Of course this happened *after* it was out of warranty. BMW wanted some ridiculous figure to replace it, similar to the one quoted to the OP. They said it came in a specially designed shipping carton and it was very delicate to install. Yea Right!?! I opted to steal a needle and syringe from work and squirt a little Elmers wood glue in there.

Has anyone tried the Meguiars polish yet?

pumper
Old 02-01-06, 06:55 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

uh you can always opt for the Chevy Cobalt...just a nice hard plastic console in there! You can drag a vacuume hose over it, hit it with the seat belt etc....with no worries.
Old 02-01-06, 07:05 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pumper
anyone tried the Meguiars polish yet?

pumper

Oh yes. I use Meguiars all the time on all my cars. I have just used #7 polish and then followed up with their new Nxt Tech Wax liquid. The crystal white sure looks good. I probably will go back to the paste (just personal preference) Gold Class next however. Over the years I have been most happy with Meguiars. My cupboard looks like I'm a distributor. NOT. I have many of their Professional numbered series products and more than once by using the right # for the right problem I've made the car I was working on look fantastic.
Old 02-01-06, 07:26 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexustom
Oh yes. I use Meguiars all the time on all my cars. I have just used #7 polish and then followed up with their new Nxt Tech Wax liquid. The crystal white sure looks good.
That's interesting, but I think pumper was refering to the suggestion earlier in the thread to try Meguiars plastic polish to remove the scratches on the wood.
Old 02-01-06, 07:58 PM
pumper
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scooter24
One of the guys at my Lexus service department recommended Meguiars clear plastic polish to remove the scratches. I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone used this product ?
Yeah, I was refering to the above post. I was considering something like this, but I want to be sure to use the correct product. Using the wrong thing could do more harm than good.

pumper
Old 02-01-06, 09:38 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oops. I have theMeguiars plastic polish and plastic cleaner as well. I would guess it would work just fine on the console. Sorry about my confused state of mind. I should have read the topic of the post with both eyes open!!
Old 02-19-06, 07:36 PM
rev9
Driver School Candidate

i used to have dynaudio in my previous car, and currently have dynaudio in both of my cars as well.....
i just love them....
Old 02-19-06, 09:31 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

I had an Audi A6 4.2 for several years before getting the IS 350. The wood trim hardly showed any wear, so I will be careful to notice how this car's trim holds up.
Old 02-20-06, 09:56 AM
mogrefy
Driver School Candidate

Is the metal interior that comes with the sport package any more resilient than the wood interior. I was leaning toward the wood interior for the looks/class however if the metal holds up better I can probably sway myself as I wouldn't mind the sport suspension (otherwise I'm probably going to go luxury package and add sport suspension aftermarket later).
Old 02-20-06, 10:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mogrefy
Is the metal interior that comes with the sport package any more resilient than the wood interior. I was leaning toward the wood interior for the looks/class however if the metal holds up better I can probably sway myself as I wouldn't mind the sport suspension (otherwise I'm probably going to go luxury package and add sport suspension aftermarket later).
the metallic trim comes like that normally, the sport package doesnt add it, it adds the aluminum pedals and door sills
Old 02-20-06, 10:20 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the metallic trim comes like that normally, the sport package doesnt add it, it adds the aluminum pedals and door sills
That isn't what he asked.

To answer the question. I'd say the non-wood trim probably isn't that much more resistant to scratching, but it probably won't show them as badly. The clear finish on the wood captures and reflects the light, so scratches will be much more apparent.
Old 02-24-06, 10:59 AM
06LexIS350
Driver School Candidate

Default Met Factory Lexus Rep Yesterday

Finally after 2 months worth of complaining to the Lexus 800 number I was able to schedule a visit with the factory guy.

I met him yesterday. He is going to document the issue. Problem is that not a lot of people are complaining to the dealer and the 1-800 Lexus number...So, if you have a problem and you haven't called Lexus it is your own fault.

We did experiment with a cleaner that helped remove most of the even deepest scratches. I am posting the name and type of cleaner. I strongly recommend you get some of this. Take care as to not let the cleaner spread outside the wood area or it will damage the other areas of the interior.

We used Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover. It works great and will not damage. We used sparingly and the dealer performed the proceedure.

It got all but the deepest scratch out of the wood. The only part (area by cupholder) it did not get. He ordered replacement part for free.

So, the light to medium stuff comes out great. Load up on it as the interior of this car is TOOOOOOO delicate.

Just today I was wiping off the dash with a soft cotton cloth and water and it scratched it up...HERE WE GO AGAIN...

Man, Lexus does not know how to build a car.
Old 02-24-06, 11:13 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my IS with wood trim for nearly 3 months now. I drive it everyday and even drive a car load of co-workers to lunch some days in it. No scratches or any problems at all on the interior other than sweeping the dirt up off the floormats. I think the scratching problems are mostly due to owner use/abuse.
Old 02-24-06, 11:45 AM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmusic
I've had my IS with wood trim for nearly 3 months now. I drive it everyday and even drive a car load of co-workers to lunch some days in it. No scratches or any problems at all on the interior other than sweeping the dirt up off the floormats. I think the scratching problems are mostly due to owner use/abuse.
Same here. I've had mine for almost 4 weeks and have 0 scratches or abuse on any of the wood trim in the car.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Wood Scratches