IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Wood Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 12:40 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06LexIS350
Finally after 2 months worth of complaining to the Lexus 800 number I was able to schedule a visit with the factory guy.

I met him yesterday. He is going to document the issue. Problem is that not a lot of people are complaining to the dealer and the 1-800 Lexus number...So, if you have a problem and you haven't called Lexus it is your own fault.

We did experiment with a cleaner that helped remove most of the even deepest scratches. I am posting the name and type of cleaner. I strongly recommend you get some of this. Take care as to not let the cleaner spread outside the wood area or it will damage the other areas of the interior.

We used Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover. It works great and will not damage. We used sparingly and the dealer performed the proceedure.

It got all but the deepest scratch out of the wood. The only part (area by cupholder) it did not get. He ordered replacement part for free.

So, the light to medium stuff comes out great. Load up on it as the interior of this car is TOOOOOOO delicate.

Just today I was wiping off the dash with a soft cotton cloth and water and it scratched it up...HERE WE GO AGAIN...

Man, Lexus does not know how to build a car.
Plastic polish doesnt hold up very well

What part are they replacing for you? The Cupholder lid?
Old 02-24-06, 01:32 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

We used Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover. It works great and will not damage. We used sparingly and the dealer performed the proceedure.
Funny, I was going to recommend Novus #2 earlier in the thread, when someone first mentioned using plastic polish. I use Novus (both #2, which is an abrasive, and #1, which is more gentle and is not) on my pinball playfield with great results. My pinball has a painted wood playfield with a very glossy plastic finish (called Diamondplate), not too different from the wood trim in the car.
Old 02-24-06, 04:15 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmusic
I've had my IS with wood trim for nearly 3 months now. I drive it everyday and even drive a car load of co-workers to lunch some days in it. No scratches or any problems at all on the interior other than sweeping the dirt up off the floormats. I think the scratching problems are mostly due to owner use/abuse.
I've had mine for about a month, and in the right light there are at least 6 different scuffs and scratches in mine. I have been VERY careful about this, but it still happened. I will give the polish a try.
Old 02-24-06, 04:38 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cmusic
I've had my IS with wood trim for nearly 3 months now. I drive it everyday and even drive a car load of co-workers to lunch some days in it. No scratches or any problems at all on the interior other than sweeping the dirt up off the floormats. I think the scratching problems are mostly due to owner use/abuse.
Owner abuse? Of the wood trim? Like guys are getting into their cars and beating the wood... (so to speak)? Give me a break.
Old 02-24-06, 05:43 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
Owner abuse? Of the wood trim? Like guys are getting into their cars and beating the wood... (so to speak)? Give me a break.
Well the guy that started this thread stated he layed his Ipod on the wood behind the gearshifter while driving. Maybe others are laying their arms on the wood and the buttons from their coat or shirt are creating the scratches. I'm not saying the owners that are having scratching problems are doing it deliberately. All I can say is that I have had absolutely no problems with the wood scratching in my IS. The only thing I have done to the wood trim is to clean it with Pledge Orange furniture polish and a 100 % cotton cloth twice since I bought the car.
Old 02-24-06, 05:55 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't have scratches on my wood yet but my girl's wood did got scratches cuz she put her purse there all the time...
Old 02-24-06, 06:04 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I'm sorry, but it's pretty ridiculous to have to worry about scratching the console with something as benign as buttons from a shirt, especially in a high traffic area like that. I'm pretty sure mine came from the straps of my backpack dragging across there when I get out of the car.

I don't expect any vehicle to be indestructable, but this is not acceptable.
Old 02-24-06, 08:08 PM
TurkEclisp
Rookie

The silver parts on the ends of the transmissoin gear is also scratched.. from cell phone or phone cord.. it shouldnt have done that
Old 04-13-06, 04:08 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

Anyone figured out other dashkits that can replace the wood? I was notified that all Texas 2IS comes with wood trim now. I do not want to wood trim. I did see the carbon fiber trim but it is too expensive. Can anyone help me out?
Old 04-13-06, 04:12 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by taejin09
Anyone figured out other dashkits that can replace the wood? I was notified that all Texas 2IS comes with wood trim now. I do not want to wood trim. I did see the carbon fiber trim but it is too expensive. Can anyone help me out?
Carbon fiber trim?
Old 04-13-06, 05:27 PM
ptmIS350
Rookie

Here is photo 2. The thing only allows for 1 at a time
Mines worse and I'm just as pissed off.. I had no idea it would be so fragile. You think it would have some durabilty. Every time I look down at my wood I see crazy scratches and everyday I find a few more..and I'm really **** about how I care for the car.

Kinda sucks on my new car...I totaly understand why your pissed though and sympathize with you on the matter.
Old 04-14-06, 04:06 PM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

Brought my car in for rattles. They worked on the dashboard and subsequently scratched the wood trim. I noticed the scratches right away due to the sunlight. I called the service manager over and complained and asked them to replace it. He ordered the part but it hasn't come in yet.
Old 04-14-06, 09:31 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jjohur
Brought my car in for rattles. They worked on the dashboard and subsequently scratched the wood trim. I noticed the scratches right away due to the sunlight. I called the service manager over and complained and asked them to replace it. He ordered the part but it hasn't come in yet.
You should have asked him to get yout the sports package metallic looking part, the new wood part will scrach again and it's like 2-grand to replace!?
Old 04-14-06, 11:12 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
You should have asked him to get yout the sports package metallic looking part, the new wood part will scrach again and it's like 2-grand to replace!?
The way you phrase it makes it sound like the sports package comes with an upgraded part. The sports package does not upgrade the trim from what is in the base car (silver plastic). While it's clearly a matter of personal preference, many of us believe the wood gives the interior a warmer, more luxurious ambiance.
Old 04-14-06, 11:19 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, Lexus does not know how to build a car.[/QUOTE]

oh really? because of your scratching of your console? this makes a lot of sense. yes indeed. lexus has no chance in hell of succeeding [sp] because of their poor build quality. drat.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Wood Scratches