IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thursday is the day (supposedly)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 06:50 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here is the latest update. We went to the dealer today to get the car. As we pull up we see "our" car parked out front of the show room. It's backed in so our first view is of the front of the car with the factory lip spoiler installed. Have to say the front lip looks very good. So far so good. It's lightly raining so the car is wet and a little hard to inspect with great detail. As I go around the car to the rear I notice the rear valance from the body kit is pulling away from the bumper cover on both corners. Upon closer inspection the fit of the rear body kit part is horrible. Uneven gaps, doesn't come close to fitting properly. Now I start to look closer at the side skirts, the drivers side is sticking out anout a 1/2"-3/4" farther than the passenger side. Also notice that the front and rear portion of both skirts do not blend properly into the wheel wells. Looks almost like they are too long. Again it looked bad. Looked like a cheap hack job. Found our salesman and showed him our concerns, he got the GM and they both agreed it looked bad. Their initial offer was for us to take the car now (ie pay now) and they would work it into the body shop as soon as there was an opening. I have seen and done enough body work to know it would take major cutting, fitting, and painting for this to look half way decent. With the possibility of not being able to make it fit correctly we declined that plan. The short story is that we are not taking that car. The up side is they found us another car that is already on the boat (confirmed VIN #) that is identical with the exception it has the ML sound which we wanted in the first place. We are however not going to do the body kit. We will do the trunk spoiler but that is all. Don't want to take another chance of a botched install. So now we wait until 1/21 for the next try. Silver/Black, sport pack, nav, ML, sound. Still wish we could have the glacier frost with gray but the silver/black does look nice.
Old 12-30-05, 07:02 PM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to hear that but at least you can get another one with ML sound system. It's always better to get something you really want instead of settling for less or a botched job. Congratulations on your new 2006 IS. Great choice!
Old 12-30-05, 07:12 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SilverBolt,

DANG. That really sucks. Good call on your part though. Hope everything works out!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 12-30-05, 07:25 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you made the right call on not taking delivery. Once you got the car it would have been yours and much harder to make it right. 3 weeks is not so far away.

Last edited by kensteele; 12-30-05 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-30-05, 07:27 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Man, you are lucky to have ML, now u just need the Nav hack and u can watch dvd when the car is moving
Old 12-30-05, 07:43 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
I think you made the right call on not taking delivery. Once you got the car it would have been yours and much harder to make it right. 3 weeks is not so far away.
That was my exact thought. The car is for my wife so it was her decision to not take the car. I laid out the down side of taking it and as much as she wanted to she saw the light. So now she gets Christmas in January. I do like that now we will get the ML system. The stock system sounded very good to me, have not heard the ML yet.

Funny side note as we were discussing our options to keep the car or wait another sales person tried to take two customers for a test drive in "our" car. My wife ran out the door and stopped them. They had the second key and were ready to drive off. It will be interesting to see if the just try to sell the car as is or fix it. I admit that I have a hyper attention to detail so others may not initially see the flaws. From 10ft it looks good. Up close very bad.

One last side note. The side skirts on the factory body kit are very subtle. Too subtle. I had to compare side by side a stock one with the body kit to ssee the difference. The body kit is about 3/4" wider on the "rib". That's it. Sticks out just enough to get the back our your pant leg dirty getting in/out of the car. Front spoiler/lip looked great, rear trunk lip also looks very nice, the rest is a waste of money.
Old 12-30-05, 08:57 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I guarantee you they will try and sell the car as is. Problem is, some poor sap will probably take it.
Old 12-31-05, 01:27 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Silver/Black, sport pack, nav, ML, sound. Still wish we could have the glacier frost with gray but the silver/black does look nice.
A lot of people on this forum will be jealous of you if/when you get this car! Sport + ML = awesome. I have this color combo and it looks sharp. Wish I had the ML though. Pics here if you haven't seen them:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...p?name=diablo1
Old 12-31-05, 08:12 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
A lot of people on this forum will be jealous of you if/when you get this car! Sport + ML = awesome. I have this color combo and it looks sharp. Wish I had the ML though. Pics here if you haven't seen them:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...p?name=diablo1
We wanted the ML/Sport combo from the beginning. At the time we couldn't get it without a special order so we comprimised. In a way our rejecting the first car will be a blessing. Our perfect car would be: glacier frost/gray, sport, ML, and no nav. I know some think we are crazy for not wanting nav. We have had it in several other vehicles and used it at first then never bothered with it. This one does seem a little more intuitive than the pre I-drive BMW or the recent Mercedes so maybe we will like it.
Old 12-31-05, 11:29 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
I know some think we are crazy for not wanting nav. We have had it in several other vehicles and used it at first then never bothered with it. This one does seem a little more intuitive than the pre I-drive BMW or the recent Mercedes so maybe we will like it.
I agree! Part of my "NAV" is in my brain, and the other part is in the $6 mapbook I keep in the glove box. Those two parts work in ANY VEHICLE, from the most to the least expensive ones. It also works ANYWHERE, especially in Hawaii where NAV is NOT AVAILABLE.
Old 01-01-06, 09:58 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by paeko73
I agree! Part of my "NAV" is in my brain, and the other part is in the $6 mapbook I keep in the glove box. Those two parts work in ANY VEHICLE, from the most to the least expensive ones. It also works ANYWHERE, especially in Hawaii where NAV is NOT AVAILABLE.
We understand.
Old 01-02-06, 02:55 AM
FE9000
Driver School Candidate

Same here... Ordered the car mid Oct with no words no updates nothing! Decided to order a BMW instead. I guess they will treat you better if you buy one off the lot. Lexus is just not good with special orders. And if that's how I am treated when spending my money, forget it.
Old 01-02-06, 08:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by paeko73
The Nav knows and shows you exactly where you are, a key piece of information needed to use your $6 map that isn't always immediately obvious when you get lost in a strange area. With route guidance active, it tell you about upcoming turns, so you don't have to cut across five lanes of traffic when you discover (at the very last moment) that your freeway exit is from the left lane, not the right.

After owning two cars with Nav, I won't buy another one without one.
Old 01-02-06, 07:20 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
The Nav knows and shows you exactly where you are, a key piece of information needed to use your $6 map that isn't always immediately obvious when you get lost in a strange area. With route guidance active, it tell you about upcoming turns, so you don't have to cut across five lanes of traffic when you discover (at the very last moment) that your freeway exit is from the left lane, not the right.

After owning two cars with Nav, I won't buy another one without one.
PM me whenever you visit Hawaii because you won't find any navigation system here. I'll show you around and keep you from getting lost. By the way, we don't have 5 lanes freeway here, and if we did, the aloha spirit (friendliness) here is so great that people would let you cut across with smiles.....