IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 01:24 AM
tsai3904
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this work on the 07 RX 350? I know the 06 IS and the 07 RX have the Gen 5 navigation but are the wirings the same?
Old 03-02-06, 07:31 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone figured out how to hook up a TV turner to watch regular tv on this screen? Is there any inputs for this? Where is there a wiring diagram floating around?
Old 03-02-06, 07:52 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tsai3904
Would this work on the 07 RX 350? I know the 06 IS and the 07 RX have the Gen 5 navigation but are the wirings the same?
it should, although the wire colors may be different (as is the case between GS and IS). You should wait until the wiring diagram is available.
Old 03-02-06, 08:32 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by integlikew
Has anyone figured out how to hook up a TV turner to watch regular tv on this screen? Is there any inputs for this? Where is there a wiring diagram floating around?
Now THAT is the best first post idea I've seen in a LONG time!
Old 03-02-06, 11:37 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
Now THAT is the best first post idea I've seen in a LONG time!
LOL. Thanks for the welcome. I thought i did see a wiring digram or someone saything they had a copy. I just cant find it again. I would really like to know if we can get TV into this beast. Then if its possible to hook up 2 more monitors off this one. Same signal which will have navi, radio, DVD and hopfully TV. With black interior i can hide 2 monitors in the head rest very nicly and they wouldnt even stand out unless they were on. And being controled form the front factory headunit would be real nice. Lets getter done boys.
Old 03-02-06, 11:47 AM
rys
Pole Position

LOL. Thanks for the welcome. I thought i did see a wiring digram or someone saything they had a copy. I just cant find it again. I would really like to know if we can get TV into this beast. Then if its possible to hook up 2 more monitors off this one. Same signal which will have navi, radio, DVD and hopfully TV. With black interior i can hide 2 monitors in the head rest very nicly and they wouldnt even stand out unless they were on. And being controled form the front factory headunit would be real nice. Lets getter done boys.
http://techinfo.lexus.com

P544 Navigation, Parking Assist (Rear View Monitor) and Audio System

J62 Pin 1 (Red) NTSC - Radio Receiver Assembly (Output)
J62 Pin 2 (Green) GND - Radio Receiver Assembly (Output)

J52 Pin 1 (Red) NTSC - Multi Display (Input)
J52 Pin 4 (Green) SGD1 - Multi Display (Input)

Not sure if that is a Composite video output, or if it is a proprietary signal.

-Brian
Old 03-02-06, 12:01 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Hmmm.... Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-06, 12:21 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

When you ground the red wire will the parking brake light still work correctly on the dash when the e-brake is on?

Also, I haven't looked at the connector but is it possible to just pull the wire out of the connector rather than cutting it?

Thanks
Old 03-02-06, 12:53 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Indeed welcome aboard! Definitely please keep us posted on what you find out with this. Tv in this car would be well worth the nav hack IMO!
Old 03-02-06, 01:21 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

why the hell would you do this, just play dvds using the code in the menu. and i'm pretty sure non-ml's can do that too just not in 5.1 sound
Old 03-02-06, 01:23 PM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by uschardcor
why the hell would you do this, just play dvds using the code in the menu. and i'm pretty sure non-ml's can do that too just not in 5.1 sound
non-ML's don't have the dvd changer
Old 03-02-06, 03:30 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
When you ground the red wire will the parking brake light still work correctly on the dash when the e-brake is on?

Also, I haven't looked at the connector but is it possible to just pull the wire out of the connector rather than cutting it?

Thanks
Once you ground the red wire, the light in the dash still works the way it's supposed to. You are just grounding the e-brake signal to the nav unit.
Old 03-02-06, 03:31 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by uschardcor
The code in the menu only allows you to enter destinations while you are moving. It doesn't do anything for playing DVD's.
Old 03-02-06, 03:47 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
Once you ground the red wire, the light in the dash still works the way it's supposed to. You are just grounding the e-brake signal to the nav unit.
Cool, thanks.
Old 03-05-06, 09:28 PM
DB17
Driver School Candidate

I successfully performed the mod today and it really works as advertised. The following are a couple comments that may be of help to others who are going to perform the mod:

Removing the vents is indeed the most challenging part. Once you are able to pull out one side, all you need to do is work it from side to side.

You should move the passenger side seat all the way forward and place a large blanket on it to support the nav once you pull it out.

Once you get everything back together, your nav settings may have changed. So do not be alarmed if your nav does not work correctly. In my case I had to reset the region back to US 2.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving