IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 06:19 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VietBaka
Hi, Just recently purchased an IS350...and just found out about this site by accident when trying to find out how to play dvd videos...couldn't find the missing info that i needed the parking break on. Anyways...I think someone should make a video on how to do this....this will ease my mind in DIY.
Welcome to ClubLexus. A video would be helpful but I would suggest you go ahead and give it a try before then if you are really interested. It is not very difficult and if you read the posts carefully, it is well written. You shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy the video in your IS350!
Old 06-07-06, 01:43 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Enable only DVD HELP!!!!

Hello everyone ,
I'm a nubbie here. I've read this Nav hax thread, it is really cool and very helpful . However, I was just wondering how to enable ONLY the dvd so that my passengers can enjoy the movie and the surround sound system, while the car is in motion . Do I need to do all the step cutting wires as described in the thread or I just have to ground the brake wire only? Please help me with this. Thank you very much.
Old 06-07-06, 01:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by t.is350.h
Hello everyone ,
I'm a nubbie here. I've read this Nav hax thread, it is really cool and very helpful . However, I was just wondering how to enable ONLY the dvd so that my passengers can enjoy the movie and the surround sound system, while the car is in motion . Do I need to do all the step cutting wires as described in the thread or I just have to ground the brake wire only? Please help me with this. Thank you very much.
You have to do the whole hack as described on page one to enable the DVD player to work while driving.
Old 06-07-06, 01:52 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you very much.
Old 06-09-06, 12:04 PM
shyishguy
Rookie

in regards to grounding the red wire for the ML - the RED wire on the J50 connector. After you cut the red wire, which end do you ground? The end that is coming from the Nav unit ? or the end coming from inside the car?

And once you ground the wire, what do you do with the other end? cap it?
Old 06-09-06, 12:08 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You ground the one that is coming from the head unit. Cap the other end.
Old 06-10-06, 09:39 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First off, I'd like to say thank you to all of you who spent your time figured this out. I did a bunch of reading before doing this mod. My Nav screen went blank right after the mod but from reading I knew it was a fuse that blew so I didn't panic . I used shrink wap instead of cap and I think the result looks almost OEM. I also grounded the red to the Nav itself, I guess less work that way. I took a pic with my phone, although the pic doesn't do justice but I can tell u it looks very oem.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving-06-09-06_1639.jpg  
Old 06-11-06, 06:31 PM
revspeed
Driver

does anybody know if they sell the slits inside the ac vent separately or the entire asymbly? I broke one of the slit today by pulling on it too hard. thanks
Old 06-12-06, 12:40 PM
cooper6660
Driver School Candidate

Question

I carried out the mod to my ML system and it worked great until the computer displayed a messege CHECK VSC and the engine management indicator came on . Is the speed information wired into the cars stability system or not. I tried a bit odf fault finding by undoing the Mod but am unsure whether the computer needs reseting to remove this fault.

Can anynody shed some light on this please

Cooper6660
Old 06-12-06, 01:15 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cooper6660
I carried out the mod to my ML system and it worked great until the computer displayed a messege CHECK VSC and the engine management indicator came on . Is the speed information wired into the cars stability system or not. I tried a bit odf fault finding by undoing the Mod but am unsure whether the computer needs reseting to remove this fault.

Can anynody shed some light on this please

Cooper6660
I've noticed that a few people have accidentally grounded the harness (vehicle) side of both the E-brake, and the Speed Sensor.

Grounding the E-brake will cause the warning triangle to flash, along with the "brake" light. Grounding the speed sensor will cause the ECU to believe that the vehicle is in motion (which will prevent the vehicle from shutting off, and can sometimes cause other problems.)

Are you absolutely sure that the speed signal from the vehicle is attached to the correct point?

I'm not sure but generally, on Toyota vehicles, the speed signal is not provided by the transmission, but usually by either the ABS or the stability control system. If the vehicle speed signal is attached to the wrong point, it can cause all sorts of problems.

Also, I will mention that, so long as the speed signal is not visible to the multi-display, the NAV hack itself will appear to "work", although it can cause other side effects.

-Brian
Old 06-12-06, 02:23 PM
cooper6660
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

NO defently grounded the harness side as the mod worked.

I been looking through the forum site and found other people with the same fault

They are saying that it is either the petrol cap sensor or petrol mixing with the oil, this seems to be a common problem with this model and and other lexus models .

I will see what the garage says about this!
Old 06-12-06, 02:31 PM
rys
Pole Position

Yes, that is a common problem as well.

I just meant that even if you have the speed signal connected to the correct point on the navigation unit.

You should get the vehicle checked out, it'll tell you what's wrong in particular.

-Brian
Old 06-12-06, 02:33 PM
cooper6660
Driver School Candidate

I only joined this forum site today, I am impressed with the amount of info.

Many thanks for your help
Old 06-12-06, 04:01 PM
genyosai
Driver

I've done this hack on my IS350 and it works great.

Does anyone know if the pinouts are the same for the '06 GS with ML system? I ask because I have a GS, too, and would like to know before I open up the dash. Otherwise, I guess I'll just "dive" in.

--Nick
Old 06-12-06, 05:05 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genyosai
I've done this hack on my IS350 and it works great.

Does anyone know if the pinouts are the same for the '06 GS with ML system? I ask because I have a GS, too, and would like to know before I open up the dash. Otherwise, I guess I'll just "dive" in.

--Nick
I would get a wiring diagram as I did before I figured the is hack, otherwise you will have some problems that wont be warrantied. If youd like to get them forward them to me and I will be happy to give you instructions on the hack for the GS

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving