IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 05:41 PM
genyosai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muzzman1
I would get a wiring diagram as I did before I figured the is hack, otherwise you will have some problems that wont be warrantied.
I suppose the easiest way to get diagrams is to purchase the Lexus shop manual? If so, once I get this I can read the schematics. Had to do so (more extensively) when swapping a 2jzgte into my sc300 I just wanted to know if someone here already knew whether or not they're the same.

Just for the heck of it, however, I'm going to pull the unit and look at the connector setup and wiring colors. If I see that they are the same, I'll assume the IS hack will work. Toyota usually uses pink to designate the spead sensor signal, so I'm sure this will exist. I can ring-out the wire from the parking brake switch to find it on the head-unit. As for the wire to connect the pink to (after cutting)... that may take time to find if it's not the same.

Thanks,

--nick
Old 06-12-06, 06:25 PM
glilly
Pole Position

did this mod a couple weeks ago, ...freakin' awesome. Only hitch I had was the ground wire, ...where to ground it at ( i did it to the chassis). But somehow had the DVD playing and had the parking brake showing it was on. Went back, clipped a wire and fixed it. yay. great write up!
Old 06-12-06, 08:13 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

When you cut the white and the pink wires do they need to soldered or can they just be twisted around each other to make the connection? Are there any other options other than soldering?

Also, when you cut the wire you now have essentially 4 wires (2 that go into the monitor and the other half which comes from somewhere I don't know). Which ends need to be connected and what do you do with the other ends?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-06, 12:02 PM
cooper6660
Driver School Candidate

Question

I had a problem when I carried out this mod, it displayed CHECK VSC and the engine management light came on, so I re-connected the wires back together thinking this will undo the mod.

I got the garage to check the car and they reported that thre was a fault with the speed sensor, they cleared the fault and did not mention anything about the mod.

Then today I was out driving and have noticed that the mod is still active ( )

Not really complaining about it but has anybody else noticed this or tried undoing the mod with the same effect,

Also is there any difference between the USA Lexus IS250 and the UK IS250

Cooper6660
Old 06-24-06, 11:58 AM
red250
Driver School Candidate

Default clips won't release

When I tried to do this I ran into trouble getting the vent clips to release. The two outer clips released down with no problem, but the two inside clips wouldn't stay down or go down as far. It almost looked like the clips were pushed back in the vents so that there was interference that wouldn't let them click down out of the way. I messed with em til I was getting frustrated and afraid more force would break something. Did anyone run into this and how did you get past it? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-06, 12:27 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VitB6
When you cut the white and the pink wires do they need to soldered or can they just be twisted around each other to make the connection? Are there any other options other than soldering?

Also, when you cut the wire you now have essentially 4 wires (2 that go into the monitor and the other half which comes from somewhere I don't know). Which ends need to be connected and what do you do with the other ends?

Thanks!
Usually the next best thing is to use crimps to bridge the two wires. You connect the white & pink wires that is coming from the wireloom together, and the two that is on the harness side to the nav unit is left by itself.

Originally Posted by red250
When I tried to do this I ran into trouble getting the vent clips to release. The two outer clips released down with no problem, but the two inside clips wouldn't stay down or go down as far. It almost looked like the clips were pushed back in the vents so that there was interference that wouldn't let them click down out of the way. I messed with em til I was getting frustrated and afraid more force would break something. Did anyone run into this and how did you get past it? Any help would be appreciated.
I have ran into this problem, the clips look like it's pushed way up. What I used is a sharp skinny pick, and kinda wedged it in between and brought it down. Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-06, 05:41 AM
BShears
Rookie

When you guy have everything apart and you're working on the wires, where is the nav? Do you disconnect all the wires and put the nav on the front passenger seat?
Old 06-25-06, 11:29 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is usually on the lap of the vehicle's owner while I work on it. I only disconnect the needed harness and work from there instead of disconnecting everything.
Old 06-30-06, 07:56 PM
BShears
Rookie

My car has the controls for the heated seats on the center plate between the shifter and the ash tray. When removing the center plate, I'm assuming there are wires connected that I have to remove.

Has anyone seen how they're connected?
Old 06-30-06, 08:18 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BShears
My car has the controls for the heated seats on the center plate between the shifter and the ash tray. When removing the center plate, I'm assuming there are wires connected that I have to remove.

Has anyone seen how they're connected?
It's just a standard Toyota locking connector. Press the tab on the center to release. It's an integrated control box, if I am remembering right, there's only one connector (but I've been known to be wrong before).

It's not a big deal, if you are performing the mod, the connector to the heated/ventilated seats is like child's play.

-Brian
Old 07-02-06, 04:20 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if the wires are the same for the ES350. I tried to do the hack today and my backup camera was disabled. Also the hack didn't work. I had the installer who hooked up my VAIS SLI unit do the hack. We ran out of time and I need to go back on Wednesday. I am really hoping he just clipped the wrong wire but if anyone has any info, that would be great.
Old 07-02-06, 06:05 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay - I just downloaded the wiring diagram for the ES350. The wiring and colors are totally different for the ES350. This hack will not work. The speed wire (14A) is a light blue wire.
Old 07-07-06, 01:42 PM
knuckles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by genyosai
I've done this hack on my IS350 and it works great.

Does anyone know if the pinouts are the same for the '06 GS with ML system? I ask because I have a GS, too, and would like to know before I open up the dash. Otherwise, I guess I'll just "dive" in.

--Nick
I know there were several requests for the GS hack. I believe this is it and it was out before the IS hack FWIW:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=24442&st=0
Old 07-08-06, 02:19 AM
bape206
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys... I just did the mod and it was pretty simple. Now I'm having problem with my navigation postion. It's not positioning with my car. I'm not sure if it has to do anything with the pink and white wire I cut..... Can anyone advise? I tried to colabe my position and it's still not working....

Last edited by bape206; 07-08-06 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-08-06, 08:44 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

so some people are having problems . . . is this mainly because of what they are grounding the wire to? i want to do this mod, i actually printed out the front page instructions and am going to take it to my buddy that works at a reputable audio shop. Why are people having problems pop up if its supposed to be so simple???

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving