IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 04:53 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just had it done but the person who did it said the parking brake light would stay on. does anyone know what i can do so that the parking brake light doesn't stay on? it would be annoying to have that light on while i'm driving... thanks
Old 09-01-06, 05:10 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

hmm i think they got it figured out... they did something wrong with the parking brake wire
Old 09-01-06, 07:42 PM
rys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the parking brake light is on, the wrong side of the harness is grounded, or the ground was spliced into the harness by accident. (You cut the wire and connect the connector side, not the vehicle side, to ground).

-Brian
Old 09-01-06, 09:26 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

i got that figured out thanks... but now an even bigger problem.

the dvd/mp3 work while driving, but now my nav, dest, and menu buttons don't work. well they work, like you can hear the buttons being pushed and you can use the touch screen if you know where the buttons on the screen are located, but either the screen will stay black or there are white lines going vertically across the screen. we checked the wires and everything but we can't figure out what it could be. any ideas? i can't stand not being able to use the nav.

p.s. the wrong pink wire was cut, but sautered back and is working. also, the white and pink wires were sautered together. don't know if that makes a difference, but i'm just putting out there whatever could possibly be the problem. again, any help would be great. thanks ahead of time.
Old 09-01-06, 09:50 PM
rys
Pole Position

I doubt anyone on here will be able to help you. Obviously something got damaged on one of the harnesses while you were back there.

Short of going back to the dealer and admitting that you broke something, I'd say that the soldered connection is either not good, or perhaps it's shorting against something (like ground).

-Brian
Old 09-01-06, 10:55 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rys
I doubt anyone on here will be able to help you. Obviously something got damaged on one of the harnesses while you were back there.

Short of going back to the dealer and admitting that you broke something, I'd say that the soldered connection is either not good, or perhaps it's shorting against something (like ground).

-Brian
hmm.. well that doesn't sound very good. i wasn't actually the one who did it and i don't know too much about wiring and such so what exactly does this mean? can i get a new harness and rewire something, replace a connection, or is it a big problem that will mean big $$$?
Old 09-01-06, 11:04 PM
rys
Pole Position

Means the guy that worked on it is responsible for it, so have him fix it.

You can't exactly just get a new harness for that piece of the harness. I'm not sure what Lexus would do. I know replacing the entire harness would be some big bucks. Although any reasonable person would try and do some diagnostic work on the harness before hand. (Start the car with the NAV unit pulled out and try adjusting things on the harness. - Adjustments should be made with the vehicle turned off.)

-Brian
Old 09-02-06, 12:54 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

we tried doing something like that, nav unit out and all. couldn't figure out what was wrong. does anyone know what harness/wires control the menu/nav/dest buttons? we tried looking at the wiring diagram but it is too damn confusing. thanks guys. we're gonna have another look at it in the afternoon.
Old 09-02-06, 03:56 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

i read the forum over and over.. but i cant find... how do you "ground" the wire? wat does it mean to ground it?? -- sory for the noob question.
Old 09-02-06, 05:52 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
i read the forum over and over.. but i cant find... how do you "ground" the wire? wat does it mean to ground it?? -- sory for the noob question.
just attach the wire to be grounded to one of the screws on the side of the nav/screen/stereo stack--there are plenty of screws there.
Old 09-06-06, 05:18 PM
kobrapack9
Rookie

um ok, i've been reading this exact post even before i bought my IS. everything is in peices. the instructions in the beginning are great but then there are adaptation made because of a "jumpy nav". so i should follow the instrutions on the first page and then what needs to be done about the "jumpiness"? i want to try this hack asap! thanks
Old 09-06-06, 05:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you can follow the instructions at the beginning and you should be fine without getting the jumpiness.

if you do get the jumpiness, you can go back and read the rest of the thread on how to correct it.
Old 09-06-06, 10:20 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

does grounding the e brake wire make the e-brake light come on?
Old 09-07-06, 10:06 AM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, it does not
Old 09-07-06, 02:16 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

metro hows the fujita / tanabe combo?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving