IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 11:14 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello,

I did the hack but i am not sure if it is working properly. I would like to confirm the functions of this hack.

Instead of connecting the pink wire to the white wire directly in the back, I did an alternate route.

I installed 3 relays.
1. Pink wire
2. White wire
3. Red wire

I also installed a switch to activate the relays.

Once the switch activates the relays, it will interupt the Pink Wire and the White Wire. It will also cross the Pink wire with the White wire together for the hack.

The switch will also activate the 3rd relay to activate the ground for the Red Wire to enable the DVD Player in motion.

When the switch is off, everything will function just as OEM.

Question:
When the hack is engaged by the switch, I can only do the following when the car is in motion:
1. Phone Book
2. Watch DVD

I cannot input address and use the other functions of the Navigation. I have to use the OVERRIDE feature to enable those functions.

Is it working properly? Does this hack also enable functions for the navigations without using the "OVERRIDE Feature"?

Also, when the Red wire is grounded, My car notifies me that the BRAKE is depressed. The esclamation point also alerts me as well.

Is everything working as it should? Please kindly advise. Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you

J
Old 09-09-06, 11:47 PM
rys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only need 2 relays. The third on the parking brake wire is unnecessary - The car will know when you are in motion based on the speed signal. Also, if you enable the hack, you have the option of turning off DVD video just by switching to another screen momentarily, or pressing DISP then turning the screen off. In order to return to the video, you have to select the AUDIO screen then press a button on screen to bring the video back on screen.

Your parking brake wire is connected incorrectly. You are not supposed to TAP and ground out the parking brake wire. You are supposed to CUT and ground out the parking brake wire. That is why the car is lighting the parking brake when you hit the switch - You are telling everything on that wire that the parking brake is active (including the vehicle's computer).

-Brian
Old 09-10-06, 04:56 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Thank you Brian for your response. I have already installed 3 relays. I do not want to go through the trouble removing it.

I do have an idea that I know it will work for my application.

I will cut the Red parking brake wire and install a diode in between. The ground triggered by the switch installed will only go one direction, to the Navi. I am certain this will remove the "BRAKE" indicator from the dash.

Also, Can you please confirm the features from this hack as I have listed previously? I can use everything on the Navi as if it was parked, BUT the ability to input addresses into the Navi while the car is in motion. To be able to input addresses into the Navi, I still have to go into the service menu to select the OVERRIDE.

Does your hack enable you to input addresses into the Navi while the car is in motion?

Please kindly advise. Again, your help is much appreciated.

Thank you

J
Old 09-10-06, 07:49 AM
rys
Pole Position

It's been mentioned multiple times in the thread, but, yes, you must go to the override in order to input addresses in motion.

You can disconnect the speed signal from the unit entirely, and it will let you enter addresses, but that will cause your navigation to be "jumpy" (it will update slowly and jump). You will still need the navigation override in the service menu. The hack only allows you to use the telephone keypad, MP3 folder navigation, and a few other things.

I wouldn't use a diode, it's easier to just cut the wire and connect it to ground permanently. - There's no good reason to only have it connected sometimes.

There is one way to do it with a diode, but it is counter-intuitive. I will let you try and figure it out, but be you should know that your e-brake light should NOT come on when activating the hack.

-Brian
Old 09-10-06, 08:14 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

istundra, you did a good job... Like Brian said though, you will need to cut the VSS to the nav to input destinations while moving, else use the override function. I am going to install a switch for this function so I can input destinations instantly by flipping a switch, instead of having to do the override sequence.

Out of curiosity, why did you use a diode for the parking brake wire?
Old 09-10-06, 11:22 AM
istundra
Pole Position

"You can disconnect the speed signal from the unit entirely, and it will let you enter addresses, but that will cause your navigation to be "jumpy" (it will update slowly and jump)."

I would like to disconnect the speed sensor entirely and connect it to a switch. I will enable the Hack via switch.. input address... then shut off the Hack so the Navi functions just as OEM.

Do you happen to know which wire is the VSS?

"Out of curiosity, why did you use a diode for the parking brake wire?"

Why would I? Well currently I have a relay acting as a switch for all of the wires, which includes the Parking Brake Wire. The Diode will only allow the current to be flowing in 1 direction (Towards the Navi), therefore, when the switch is activated, the Parking Brake wire will ground without causing back flow of current back to the car's computer (gauge cluster).

Why did i put a relay on the Parking Brake wire? Becuase at a flip of the switch the car can function JUST AS OEM when off and also this HACK when it is on.

I did this to be safe so just incase something happens and the wire needed to be connected, I do not have to tear everything apart again.

So anyway, my question is: Which wire is the VSS wire for the Navigation? I would like to interupt this wire via Relay & Switch so i can Input Addresses into the car while in motion.

Last edited by istundra; 09-19-08 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 11:31 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
istundra, you did a good job... Like Brian said though, you will need to cut the VSS to the nav to input destinations while moving, else use the override function. I am going to install a switch for this function so I can input destinations instantly by flipping a switch, instead of having to do the override sequence.

Out of curiosity, why did you use a diode for the parking brake wire?

Do you know which wire is the VSS Wire? I would like to interupt this wire via Relay & Switch.
Old 09-11-06, 05:18 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Any update on the actual VSS Wire?

Thank you all. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 09-11-06, 05:26 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by istundra

It's the pink - the one you are already interrupting and connecting to the white wire.

-Brian
Old 09-11-06, 05:27 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Vehicle Speed wire is J50 #14 Pink
Old 09-11-06, 05:54 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rys
It's the pink - the one you are already interrupting and connecting to the white wire.

-Brian
Then why must I use the software override for the GPS? If the connections has already been made, then I would be able to input the addresses into the GPS.

Currently I can only use the full features except the GPS.
Old 09-11-06, 05:54 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Did i make a mistake?
Old 09-11-06, 06:23 PM
rys
Pole Position

Then why must I use the software override for the GPS? If the connections has already been made, then I would be able to input the addresses into the GPS.

Currently I can only use the full features except the GPS.
Because you're connecting the pink wire to the white wire. The white wire runs into the navigation unit.

The navigation uses this for:
1. Accurate positioning in conjuction with GPS data
2. An indicator of speed so that it knows when you are moving and when you are not (and when it should let you enter a destination for instance).

If you don't connect it to the NAV unit, then it won't have very accurate GPS data, but it will let you enter a destination while in motion.

-Brian
Old 09-11-06, 08:30 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Ok great! Thank you! I am installing a manual switch interupt for this.. so at a flip of a switch.. the pink wire will be disconnected. Once it is disconnected, I will be able to use the GPS while in movement. Once I am done inputing the data into the GPS System, I will flip the switch back on so the GPS will work!

Thank you
Old 09-11-06, 08:36 PM
istundra
Pole Position

so in essense for the manual switch interupt method, only interupting the pink wire is sufficient?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving