IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 08:42 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^it is being said that simply flipping the switch BACK into position will not simply re-enable GPS. Once you first flip it off and GPS loses track, it will take quite a while to recover...that is what i read somewhere.
Old 09-11-06, 08:44 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
istundra, you did a good job... Like Brian said though, you will need to cut the VSS to the nav to input destinations while moving, else use the override function. I am going to install a switch for this function so I can input destinations instantly by flipping a switch, instead of having to do the override sequence.
I've noticed you have a 2007 IS on ur sig. Have you tried to hack the 07 yet? My wife has a 07 which i would like to hack. Not sure if the wiring is the same.

I want to use the manual switch method as well.
Old 09-11-06, 08:51 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
I've noticed you have a 2007 IS on ur sig. Have you tried to hack the 07 yet? My wife has a 07 which i would like to hack. Not sure if the wiring is the same.

Look closely at my sig, it says "on order". I have don't have the car yet.

As far as the wiring, it should be identical. I will hack the car the day I get it.
Old 09-11-06, 08:52 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra

Take pics once you are finished. I'd like to see the style switch you use as well as install location.
Old 09-11-06, 08:54 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
^^^it is being said that simply flipping the switch BACK into position will not simply re-enable GPS. Once you first flip it off and GPS loses track, it will take quite a while to recover...that is what i read somewhere.
I've also read the opposite. But, as with everything posted on forums... grain of salt man, grain of salt...

I'll install the switch myself, and find out 100% how long it takes to recover. Either way, I will want the option of having the switch there, even if I don't use it often. Anyway, until someone trustworthy actually does on a 2g IS, it's all speculation.
Old 09-11-06, 09:20 PM
istundra
Pole Position

I've also read the opposite. But, as with everything posted on forums... grain of salt man, grain of salt...

I'll install the switch myself, and find out 100% how long it takes to recover. Either way, I will want the option of having the switch there, even if I don't use it often. Anyway, until someone trustworthy actually does on a 2g IS, it's all speculation.
Technique,

What i will be doing is this:

Disconnect the wire between the White Wire and Pink Wire. This will most definately confirm our theory. I will also inform you the length of time it will take for the GPS to recover.

*sigh* If i know that disconnecting the pink wire via switch would work, I wouldnt have cut the wire wire.

I will take picture of my setup once i crack it open again.

I pretty much wired the relays like this:

Pin 30 = Pink Wire from the Car
Pin 87A = Pink Wire to the HU
Pin 85 = Switched 12V (+)
Pin 86 = Ground

When the coil is not charged (NO 12V Applied), Pin 30 and 87A will act as 1 wire.

When the coil is charged (12V Applied), Pin 30 and Pin 87A will be interupted and disconnected.

Same concept goes with the White Wire.

Currently, Pin 87 from the Pink wire and Pin 87 from the White wire are connected. When the coil is charged (12V Applied), The Pink Wire from the Car will connect to the White Wire from the Car.

Hope this makes sense.

But yeah, I will help test the pink wire interupt theory.
Old 09-17-06, 06:04 PM
Wahmba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Wirirng Question

Hi All.... Great post about hacking the NAV. I have a question about the Radio wiring colors without the NAV or ML. I'm adding a Couple of JL's and a Kicker amp in my buddy's IS350 and I need to tap into the wires coming out of the HU. There are 3 separate connectors in the HU with various colored wires. Does anyone have a description of the wire colors in each harness? If not all of them, maybe just the speaker output wires. Thanks all!!
Old 09-19-06, 06:47 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wahmba
Hi All.... Great post about hacking the NAV. I have a question about the Radio wiring colors without the NAV or ML. I'm adding a Couple of JL's and a Kicker amp in my buddy's IS350 and I need to tap into the wires coming out of the HU. There are 3 separate connectors in the HU with various colored wires. Does anyone have a description of the wire colors in each harness? If not all of them, maybe just the speaker output wires. Thanks all!!
This isn't the thread for it, but the HU does not output analog signals, you have to get the signals after the amp.

-Brian
Old 09-20-06, 11:33 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Look closely at my sig, it says "on order". I have don't have the car yet.

As far as the wiring, it should be identical. I will hack the car the day I get it.
I will give this a try since I picked up my 07 a few days ago.
Old 09-20-06, 03:08 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jman-is350
I will give this a try since I picked up my 07 a few days ago.
Excellent! Take pics and let us know how it goes...
Old 09-20-06, 09:40 PM
kobrapack9
Rookie

ok, i'm gonna try it on my 06. any last words of advice? this shouldnt be that difficult for me because i have installed radios before should it? i just dont want anything stupid like jumpy nav or no backup cam.
Old 09-20-06, 10:20 PM
istundra
Pole Position

no special advise. not sure if i would recommend a manual switch for this hack but it is merely up to you.

if you do plan to have control over the hack by installing a switch, post here and I will give u the pinout for the relays.

goodluck.
Old 09-20-06, 10:54 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

does grounding the e-brake wire make the light come up on the dash?
Old 09-20-06, 11:03 PM
istundra
Pole Position

If you tap it, YES.

You must cut the Red wire, cap off the end from the car and ground the end from the HU.

When i did mine the switch method, at a flip of a switch, it will disconnect the red wire and ground itself.

If you follow this direction, the red wire will permanently be grounded.
Old 09-25-06, 12:42 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

ok.. just done this mod. accedently i grounded the wrong side of the red wire. but fixed it and it works perfect! easy to do.. well took me couple hours.. but i dont know jack crap about wiring or nething.
one advice try to see if it works b4 you put it back together.. - - had to open it all up again to fix it. but good mod!!! thank you guys for helpin me with this.!

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving