IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 06:17 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
ok.. just done this mod. accedently i grounded the wrong side of the red wire. but fixed it and it works perfect! easy to do.. well took me couple hours.. but i dont know jack crap about wiring or nething.
one advice try to see if it works b4 you put it back together.. - - had to open it all up again to fix it. but good mod!!! thank you guys for helpin me with this.!
Great!!! What year is your car? What options do you have?
Old 09-25-06, 12:10 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ok.. just done this mod. accedently i grounded the wrong side of the red wire. but fixed it and it works perfect! easy to do.. well took me couple hours.. but i dont know jack crap about wiring or nething.
one advice try to see if it works b4 you put it back together.. - - had to open it all up again to fix it. but good mod!!! thank you guys for helpin me with this.!
my advise is to leave the vent peice off during testing since that is the most difficult part to remove. The rest are simple. Just 10MM and 8MM screws.
Old 09-25-06, 12:40 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Great!!! What year is your car? What options do you have?
i have 06 IS350 ML/lux pkg.
Old 09-25-06, 12:48 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

if anybody wants to do this.. but cant.. bring it and i'll do it for cheap! ahaha. it was dat easy..
Old 09-26-06, 07:39 AM
rys
Pole Position

but i dont know jack crap about wiring or nething.
if anybody wants to do this.. but cant.. bring it and i'll do it for cheap! ahaha. it was dat easy..
I did this mod myself, so I don't need help.

I did want to mention something though, no offense, but since you don't know "anything" about wiring (or spelling), and you had to take it apart a second time to fix it, I probably wouldn't bring my car to you.

Also, would you want the liability of disabling a safety restriction on someone else's car? - Think about that before you start modding other people's NAV units. If they got into an accident because they were utilizing features that were originally disabled at the factory - you could be partially liable.

-Brian
Old 09-26-06, 07:52 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I'll help anyone on here do their nav hack, no worries.
Old 09-26-06, 01:55 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Technique, let me know when you are ready to doyour hack. I can go over the relay pinout if you want to do my method for the nav hack.
Old 09-26-06, 02:01 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
Technique, let me know when you are ready to doyour hack. I can go over the relay pinout if you want to do my method for the nav hack.
For sure man, but remember, car gets here in about 3 months from now... :-)
Old 09-27-06, 01:47 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

After reading all of these posts I have a few questions.. And I apologize if they have already been answered, I was trying to pay attention to the 200+ posts as best I could.

1. What is all this talk about MP3 folders. Is it my understanding (or misunderstanding?) that you can store MP3s somewhere and then play them at your leisure? People are talking about MP3 folders and being able to change songs while driving. Right now I have my iPOD Nano hooked in through the audio in port in the center console and I just listen through the aux setting. FYI, I do have Nav, but no ML/DVD. If there is a way to store MP3s on the Nav system please tell me, or tell me what I am misreading.

2. If I have bluetooth connected, and I want to make a call while driving, I just pick up the phone and hit send and put the phone back down. It then automatically calls from inside the car. So does this mod basically just allow me to use the speeddial and normal dial options on my Nav screen without being stopped?

3. Since I do not have ML/DVD, ultimately this mod allows me to use the destination features and phone features more openly as if I was stopped. Is this the extent of the mod?

Again, I apologize if these questions were answered. I was unable to locate answers to these specific questions.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 09-27-06, 06:41 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JB IS350X
After reading all of these posts I have a few questions.. And I apologize if they have already been answered, I was trying to pay attention to the 200+ posts as best I could.

1. What is all this talk about MP3 folders. Is it my understanding (or misunderstanding?) that you can store MP3s somewhere and then play them at your leisure? People are talking about MP3 folders and being able to change songs while driving. Right now I have my iPOD Nano hooked in through the audio in port in the center console and I just listen through the aux setting. FYI, I do have Nav, but no ML/DVD. If there is a way to store MP3s on the Nav system please tell me, or tell me what I am misreading.

2. If I have bluetooth connected, and I want to make a call while driving, I just pick up the phone and hit send and put the phone back down. It then automatically calls from inside the car. So does this mod basically just allow me to use the speeddial and normal dial options on my Nav screen without being stopped?

3. Since I do not have ML/DVD, ultimately this mod allows me to use the destination features and phone features more openly as if I was stopped. Is this the extent of the mod?

Again, I apologize if these questions were answered. I was unable to locate answers to these specific questions.

Thanks for the help everyone.
I'll try and answer your questions:

1) No, you cannot "store" mp3s in the nav. What we are talking about is the ability to browse mp3's stored on a cd in folders while driving. So, you burn a ton of mp3s to a cd, in different folders, but you cannot browse them while the car is moving without the hack.

2) Yes, you are correct.

3) This mod does NOT enable entering destinations while moving. It enables mp3 folders and bluetooth. If you have ML/DVD, it also enables movies while driving.
Old 09-27-06, 10:16 AM
Wahmba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rys
This isn't the thread for it, but the HU does not output analog signals, you have to get the signals after the amp.

-Brian
When you say the HU doesn't output analog signals, do you mean it's differential ouput, or is it actually digital?
Old 09-27-06, 10:41 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahmba
When you say the HU doesn't output analog signals, do you mean it's differential ouput, or is it actually digital?
With the ML/NAV system the output for DVD/CD is digital to the factory amp. With other setups (ML/no NAV, base audio/NAV, and base audio/no NAV) the HU uses an analog output. However in all setups the volume, tone, and balance/fader functions are performed in the factory amp, not the HU. You can tap into the analog signal wires between the HU and the amp but you will need other means to control the audio signal's volume and pre-amp functions.
Old 09-27-06, 09:59 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rys
I did this mod myself, so I don't need help.

I did want to mention something though, no offense, but since you don't know "anything" about wiring (or spelling), and you had to take it apart a second time to fix it, I probably wouldn't bring my car to you.

Also, would you want the liability of disabling a safety restriction on someone else's car? - Think about that before you start modding other people's NAV units. If they got into an accident because they were utilizing features that were originally disabled at the factory - you could be partially liable.

-Brian
I never said i would help you... and i was just tryin to imply how easy it is to do this by sayin i dont know much and i did it. its not so hard that im gonna disengage anything to cause someone to burn and die.. and i didnt know if i was writing an essay or a post.. if you want to do a spell check of all the post you should get some help.
Old 09-27-06, 10:11 PM
rys
Pole Position

I never said i would help you... and i was just tryin to imply how easy it is to do this by sayin i dont know much and i did it. its not so hard that im gonna disengage anything to cause someone to burn and die.. and i didnt know if i was writing an essay or a post.. if you want to do a spell check of all the post you should get some help.
No, I'm not saying that you're going to break something and cause the car to crash (but thanks for bringing that up, it's a valid concern). I'm saying that if you bypass the safety restrictions on someone else's navigation system, and they crash the car while watching a movie, or entering a phone number at 70mph on the freeway (examples), you could be held liable for enabling them to do that.

When the person that owns the car modifies it, they take responsibility for the modification.

As far as spelling, I tend to misspell things as much as the next guy, but when you come on here using words like "dat" instead of "that", it makes you sound unintelligent instead of simply being unable to spell.

-Brian
Old 09-28-06, 01:19 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rys
No, I'm not saying that you're going to break something and cause the car to crash (but thanks for bringing that up, it's a valid concern). I'm saying that if you bypass the safety restrictions on someone else's navigation system, and they crash the car while watching a movie, or entering a phone number at 70mph on the freeway (examples), you could be held liable for enabling them to do that.

When the person that owns the car modifies it, they take responsibility for the modification.

As far as spelling, I tend to misspell things as much as the next guy, but when you come on here using words like "dat" instead of "that", it makes you sound unintelligent instead of simply being unable to spell.

-Brian
first off.. i dont need to sound "intelligent" for anyone on this forum...
and if the owner agrees to the modification and fully acknowlege whats being done shouldnt that be their responsiblity?? what about body shops that install nitrous on the car... and the dumb owner decides to use it on a street instead of a track?? are the body shop responsible?? for me.. i did the mod because iam always with my girlfriend in the car.. and i thought it would be nice for her if we ever go on a long trip. its not the problem with the modifictaion... its the problem with how they use the modification.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving