IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 03:44 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
first off.. i dont need to sound "intelligent" for anyone on this forum...
and if the owner agrees to the modification and fully acknowlege whats being done shouldnt that be their responsiblity?? what about body shops that install nitrous on the car... and the dumb owner decides to use it on a street instead of a track?? are the body shop responsible?? for me.. i did the mod because iam always with my girlfriend in the car.. and i thought it would be nice for her if we ever go on a long trip. its not the problem with the modifictaion... its the problem with how they use the modification.
You are right. If you are not a merchant and not in the business and not getting paid to do car work, if you get the permission of the owner, you will not be responsible or liable.

Just like if you (everyday Joe) stop on the side of the road as a good samaritan and this lady asks you to change her flat tire for you, if you do and then 2,000 miles later, that lug nut you forgot to put back on ultimately leads to her tire coming off and killing her, even though her family may try, you won't be held responsible for her death. As long as you are not negligent in your actions, you'll be fine.
Old 09-28-06, 06:32 AM
montyIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another successful hack on the first try.

Great writeup for this hack, went mostly flawlessly. I read this WHOLE thread yesterday and a few things come to mind:

If you ask whether the brake light comes on after the mod is done, you have not read the whole thread. (That question is asked (and answered kindly) almost every other page on this thread.)

RE: Getting out the airvent. As said before, this is the hardest part. Once the top four clips are down, the vent is still held in place by clips, and there really is no place to get your fingers in there to pull it out. My method: grab some plasticey hard object, or something without sharp edges to damage the interior (I used some metal tools from a computer toolkit, wrapped up in vinyl electrical tape). Locate the FAR LEFT and FAR RIGHT clips that you pulled down - there is a space in front of the clip with a good edge that you will use to pull on. Slip your tool into the hole, one side at a time, and push up slightly, but PULL HARD outward toward you until the clip pops out for that side only. Repeat for the other side. Once the clips pop out the entire airvent should slip out mostly easily, probably just catching on some part of the dash, but the hard work is done.

Once the bolts were out from the nav unit, it still seemed to be stuck in there. In terms of pulling it out, i put a little upward motion from the bottom while pulling it up and out diagonally, resting it halfway between the front seat and the shifter area. My system seemed to have shorter cabling than others, as with everything still connected I was unable to get it fully on the front seat as suggested by an earlier post. NOTE: The nav unit has some pointy metal on the bottom, the main ones i could see were from the bolts that hold it in. I'd take to heart an earlier suggestion about covering your seat with a towel, and I'd go one step further to also cover around the shifter and over the ledge where you popped the silver edging out as you may need to rest the nav there. I did not cover that ledge, and setting the nav down made a little line impression, which, fortunately, was covered up by putting the plastic back on.

Re: Wiring - Take note of which wires need to go where -- plan out your "snips"! The pink and white w/ silver wires need to be tied together from their WIRELOOM side. Cut accordingly to have enough length to accomplish this. Also note that the wireloom side of the white w/ silver's wireloom side actuallly goes back into the HU at the harness in the bottom. You'll need to cut away some of the wirelooms to get enough wire length to splice.

Re: brake wire. Once again, the WIRELOOM RED wire is CAPPED. The harness RED wire is GROUNDED. To ground the brake wire, just attach it anywhere to the nav chassis. I snipped and didn't have enough wire to reach around to a mounting screw on the side of the chassis, so i just stripped a bit of the wire, and electrical taped it to the back of the cassis for now until I can get back in there and mount it correctly. Worked like a charm. I wouldn't recommend this as a permanent job, though. I'll get back in there this weekend to clean it up a bit.

Otherwise everthing worked as planned... great writeups, pics and videos for this mod, just read through the entire thread before going forward and you'll be alright.
Old 09-28-06, 07:16 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
first off.. i dont need to sound "intelligent" for anyone on this forum...
and if the owner agrees to the modification and fully acknowlege whats being done shouldnt that be their responsiblity?? what about body shops that install nitrous on the car... and the dumb owner decides to use it on a street instead of a track?? are the body shop responsible??
Originally Posted by kensteele
You are right. If you are not a merchant and not in the business and not getting paid to do car work, if you get the permission of the owner, you will not be responsible or liable.

Just like if you (everyday Joe) stop on the side of the road as a good samaritan and this lady asks you to change her flat tire for you, if you do and then 2,000 miles later, that lug nut you forgot to put back on ultimately leads to her tire coming off and killing her, even though her family may try, you won't be held responsible for her death. As long as you are not negligent in your actions, you'll be fine.
I'm simply pointing out that if you expect that anyone is going to bring their car to you, and allow you to make a modification, you could at least sound intelligent. Apparently, you don't care, but that's your decision.

Also, I don't know about where you are, but "body shop"s around here don't install nitrous kits. Speed shops, and aftermarket product manufacturers usually have disclaimers for the product and the work done limiting their liability. The word limiting liability usually states "for off-road use only". This is why nitrous manufacturers and speed shops are not held liable.

Re: Good samaritan. There is a law called the "Good Samaritan Law", This law exists specifically to protect those that aid or help others that are sick or injured. Oddly enough, it does not protect against changing a spare tire on the side of the road. This law DOES NOT protect against disabling a manufacturer installed safety feature. (Navigation restrictions). Another good example of the limitations of this protection is when a coworker slid off of the highway in a snow storm. Someone stopped to help her, and pulled her vehicle from the side of the road, but did so by wrapping a chain around the rear axle. While the intention was good, he was responsible for severely bending the rear axle causing her vehicle to become undrivable. He was not protected by any law, especially not the "Good Samaritan" law.

This thread really isn't a place to debate this particular topic (legal issues), but if you have any questions, you should consult your lawyer. I have a feeling that the lawyer will explain the same to you.

Re: Negligent actions. It could easily be argued in court that your actions are negligent when disabling a safety feature. Think of disabling the navigation restrictions like unplugging an air bag, as far as the court is concerned. I know, it's not quite the same thing, but ask your lawyer and see what he has to say.

-Brian
Old 09-28-06, 12:53 PM
Evil ESD
Driver School Candidate

Default Does anyone know?

Does anyone know or have info on if this "hack" works on a 2007 IS250 with Navi? If not, has someone developed one yet?

Thanks for any help
Old 09-28-06, 08:01 PM
kobrapack9
Rookie

i had to post what happened 2 me. i got all the way down 2 taking off the nav bolts and they are super duper tight. they broke the handle of my driver. i am so close i can smell it but so many dumb little pbstacles keep getting in my way. its dark now and i dont know if i should continue or give up. were any of your bolts that tight? and i tried all of them
Old 09-28-06, 08:09 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rys
I'm simply pointing out that if you expect that anyone is going to bring their car to you, and allow you to make a modification, you could at least sound intelligent. Apparently, you don't care, but that's your decision.

Also, I don't know about where you are, but "body shop"s around here don't install nitrous kits. Speed shops, and aftermarket product manufacturers usually have disclaimers for the product and the work done limiting their liability. The word limiting liability usually states "for off-road use only". This is why nitrous manufacturers and speed shops are not held liable.

Re: Good samaritan. There is a law called the "Good Samaritan Law", This law exists specifically to protect those that aid or help others that are sick or injured. Oddly enough, it does not protect against changing a spare tire on the side of the road. This law DOES NOT protect against disabling a manufacturer installed safety feature. (Navigation restrictions). Another good example of the limitations of this protection is when a coworker slid off of the highway in a snow storm. Someone stopped to help her, and pulled her vehicle from the side of the road, but did so by wrapping a chain around the rear axle. While the intention was good, he was responsible for severely bending the rear axle causing her vehicle to become undrivable. He was not protected by any law, especially not the "Good Samaritan" law.

This thread really isn't a place to debate this particular topic (legal issues), but if you have any questions, you should consult your lawyer. I have a feeling that the lawyer will explain the same to you.

Re: Negligent actions. It could easily be argued in court that your actions are negligent when disabling a safety feature. Think of disabling the navigation restrictions like unplugging an air bag, as far as the court is concerned. I know, it's not quite the same thing, but ask your lawyer and see what he has to say.

-Brian
this is a forum to help and discuss ideas... i don't care if a guy here sounds intelligent enough... "dat dat dat dat dat" :smile:
Old 09-28-06, 09:57 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rys

-Brian

HAHA i am not on this forum to find out about what i can do and i cant.. i dont really care... about legal issues. im not obssessed enough about this forum to ask my lawyer about it.., lol all im trying to say is... you dont have to be harsh on people with their spelling or their opinions.. if people wants to help others do navi hack... let them... you dont have to bring up legal issues.
Old 09-28-06, 10:09 PM
Lexellent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evil ESD
Does anyone know or have info on if this "hack" works on a 2007 IS250 with Navi? If not, has someone developed one yet?

Thanks for any help
I have just completed the "hack" on my '07 this afternoon. There does seem to be some differences. I believe that I have worked them out and will post in the next day or two regarding my experience. I want to live with it a day or so to be certain all is working as it should.

As a side note, and I will post this in the proper place later, I also installed the VaisTech SLI at the same time. The "I Agree" no longer works! I called Vais today and they advised me that the logic to remove the "I Agree" nag screen was only included in the CL group buy. They are now building a newer software version which does not include removing the "I Agree" screen. Bummer!!!!
Old 09-29-06, 05:34 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexellent
I have just completed the "hack" on my '07 this afternoon. There does seem to be some differences. I believe that I have worked them out and will post in the next day or two regarding my experience. I want to live with it a day or so to be certain all is working as it should.

As a side note, and I will post this in the proper place later, I also installed the VaisTech SLI at the same time. The "I Agree" no longer works! I called Vais today and they advised me that the logic to remove the "I Agree" nag screen was only included in the CL group buy. They are now building a newer software version which does not include removing the "I Agree" screen. Bummer!!!!
Wow, that's one of the nicer plusses of having the SLI unit installed. Right after you start up your car, sometimes you have to wait 15 seconds for the "I Agree" screen to go away and if your display starts up on some other screen (like movies or audio) then it doesn't work. Also if you go into reverse too soon (and your rear camera comes on), doesn't work either. But I've learned to stand still for a few seconds to let it work properly....it's actually okay.
Old 10-01-06, 02:52 AM
kobrapack9
Rookie

finally got done with the hack. now i have another problem...my clock and hazard lights dont work anymore! now what could have gone wrong? everything else works, at least they seem to work so far. do u think something came loose or did i ruin it? what wires controll the clock and hazards? if anyone knows, thanks
Old 10-01-06, 03:01 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fuses? checj 'em
Old 10-01-06, 03:48 AM
kobrapack9
Rookie

why would the fuses go out? because of my hack?
Old 10-01-06, 07:12 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kobrapack9
finally got done with the hack. now i have another problem...my clock and hazard lights dont work anymore! now what could have gone wrong? everything else works, at least they seem to work so far. do u think something came loose or did i ruin it? what wires controll the clock and hazards? if anyone knows, thanks
You forgot to plug clock/hazard back in. There is this one wire and connector that plugs into the side of the nav unit, it's a little bit detached from the rest of the harnass on the backside. No need to check all those little fuses.

I am 100% positive this is what happened because I did the same thing. I drove around for a week wondering if I should start checking fuses or if the clock actually went out (I didn't know the hazard was out too) or what I really though was I don't have the energy to go back into this for the fourth time to check for a loose connection. Luckily it's just a missed connection, take you about 5 seconds to plug her in. But you're going to have to go back in. What a pain.

Last edited by kensteele; 10-01-06 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-01-06, 08:40 AM
Irishfan
Driver

Will doing this hack disable the speed variable automatic volume adjustment?
Old 10-01-06, 09:17 AM
MeTrO
Driver

No it does not disable speed variable volume adj.

Go Irish!

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving