Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 03:50 PM
Lexellent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wegofaster
Thanks for the reply Lexellent!

Well, I have been driving mine for a week, and the NAV looses me every once in a while!! I have had to re-calibrate my location 4 times.

I have the silver/white and pink together, red grounded, and the others capped as described in the hack... everthing works, but I still have the problem with the NAV loosing me.

I am going to try reconecting the silver/white wire (speed wire?) together and see if it works as described by Lexellent. If it does, this should be the NEW hack sequence for 07's.

Any other suggestions before I get everthing open again? Lex, is your nav working as smoothly as stock with the setup your currently running?
Thanks,
Wegofaster,

I just can not remember the way it was before the conversion. As I described previously, the screen has a small ratchet like movement every 1 second. I don't find it particularly objectionable. There was one configuration which had a marked ratchet or jumpiness which was very noticeable. How would you describe the movement of the nav screen with the current hack? Do you have access to your phone book and MP3 folders. Will a DVD play while driving?

I have had NO problems with the nav getting lost and having to recalibrate.

Perhaps you can test the other scenerios such as 1)white/silver cut and both ends capped and pink not cut 2)pink cut and capped with white not cut 3)both wires cut and capped. Then you could compare the nav movement and record if the phonebook, the MP3 folders and DVD watching on the move all work. I have just not had the time to pull my unit again since Sunday's trial.

It would be helpful for someone with a non-hacked car to describe how the OEM nav screen moves.
Old 10-10-06, 03:59 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexellent
It would be helpful for someone with a non-hacked car to describe how the OEM nav screen moves.
There is a post somewhere in this thread, someone posts 2 videos, one has the normal nav, the other has the jumpy nav. Download those videos and let me know.
Old 10-10-06, 04:01 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it'll be nice if some1 can update us on the color schemes for the 07.
Old 10-10-06, 04:05 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
it'll be nice if some1 can update us on the color schemes for the 07.
Color schemes?
Old 10-10-06, 04:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Color schemes?
Gold or blue highlights. You have a choice...
Old 10-10-06, 04:47 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Gold or blue highlights. You have a choice...
I am totally confused here! Does this have to do with the nav? Is this new for 2007? Sorry if this is an obvious question.
Old 10-10-06, 06:20 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. I am asking about the wiring colors for the 2007!
Old 10-12-06, 01:34 PM
wegofaster
Driver School Candidate

Default My nav movement

I will try to reconnect the white/silver wire today...

My NAV movement seems normal, similar to my Prius... it has a small ratcheting movement like Lexellent described, but its not objectionable.

The loosing my location is what’s weird, and also that mine works with the white and pink spliced together, but Lexellents does not! Seems strange to me. I am hoping that capping the pink and re-connecting the white silver (like Lexellent) will stop my Nav from loosing my location.

So far while driving this week, it has not lost me since Monday... but it sure does go "off the street" like 1/4 inch from where the marker should be, very often, like every time i pull out of my driveway onto the main street.
Old 10-12-06, 01:47 PM
wegofaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexellent
Wegofaster,

I just can not remember the way it was before the conversion. As I described previously, the screen has a small ratchet like movement every 1 second. I don't find it particularly objectionable. There was one configuration which had a marked ratchet or jumpiness which was very noticeable. How would you describe the movement of the nav screen with the current hack? Do you have access to your phone book and MP3 folders. Will a DVD play while driving?

I have had NO problems with the nav getting lost and having to recalibrate.

Perhaps you can test the other scenerios such as 1)white/silver cut and both ends capped and pink not cut 2)pink cut and capped with white not cut 3)both wires cut and capped. Then you could compare the nav movement and record if the phonebook, the MP3 folders and DVD watching on the move all work. I have just not had the time to pull my unit again since Sunday's trial.

NAV movement same as you described, DVD will play, but have not tried an MP3 DVD yet, but i assume it will work. Have to learn what format to make the MP3 DVD first.

I'll get back to you on that.
Old 10-12-06, 02:42 PM
350_PR
Driver School Candidate

Hi, my 350 arrived 07 and would like to know if have any problems to hack while driving.

The first page is the same instruction as 07?
if not what's the difference or waht i have to do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-06, 03:20 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 350_PR
Hi, my 350 arrived 07 and would like to know if have any problems to hack while driving.

The first page is the same instruction as 07?
if not what's the difference or waht i have to do.

Thanks in advance.
The hack on the first page should work for your 07. Some people have had issues, but nothing is resolved yet... Your best bet is to try it and see if it works... Make sure to take notice of the behavior of your nav now BEFORE the hack, so you can see if there are any differences AFTER the hack...
Old 10-12-06, 03:58 PM
350_PR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Technique
The hack on the first page should work for your 07. Some people have had issues, but nothing is resolved yet... Your best bet is to try it and see if it works... Make sure to take notice of the behavior of your nav now BEFORE the hack, so you can see if there are any differences AFTER the hack...

Ok, I will try.

Thanks....
Old 10-12-06, 05:01 PM
wegofaster
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down White/Silver connected Pink cut

Well this doesent work at all in my car... I reconected the white/silver wire, and cut and capped the pink, and it shows my car to be stationary even when i am moving.
How this is working for Lexellent, i don't know, but its not working for me. The instructions on the first page, with the additional ground seem to be working best, allthough the NAV looses me periodically?

The DVD and other functions work while in motion, but the nav does nothing but change direction when i turn, but it does not move.

Lexellent, will you confirm that this is the setup that is working on your car...White/Silver connected Pink cut?

Thanks,
Old 10-12-06, 05:03 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wegofaster
Well this doesent work at all in my car... I reconected the white/silver wire, and cut and capped the pink, and it shows my car to be stationary even when i am moving.
How this is working for Lexellent, i don't know, but its not working for me. The instructions on the first page, with the additional ground seem to be working best, allthough the NAV looses me periodically?

The DVD and other functions work while in motion, but the nav does nothing but change direction when i turn, but it does not move.

Lexellent, will you confirm that this is the setup that is working on your car...White/Silver connected Pink cut?

Thanks,
Ya, something odd must be happening with Lexcellent's connections, loose wire maybe?? Because the 2006 and 2007 should be identical, and it seems to be working for you... The nav "losing" you sometimes is a problem people who have NOT done the hack experience as well...

We'll see what happens when 350_PR tries it...
Old 10-12-06, 07:21 PM
wegofaster
Driver School Candidate

I soldered the pink and white/silver together (instead of using wireties) and everthing seems to be working now. I will update after my trip this weekend.

After the testdrive it does seem to be running smoother, and i did not get the nav to loose me.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving