IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 07:28 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wegofaster
I soldered the pink and white/silver together (instead of using wireties) and everthing seems to be working now. I will update after my trip this weekend.

After the testdrive it does seem to be running smoother, and i did not get the nav to loose me.
Excellent!!! It seems that "loose/improper" connections are the #1 cause of problems with this hack.

Congrats and enjoy! Something else to consider doing is adding a switch to connect the pink and white/silver wires, that way you can enter destinations while moving. I will do that when I get my car...

Look forward to hearing about your report when you get back from your trip this weekend. Congrats again!!!
Old 10-13-06, 08:42 AM
350_PR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Ya, something odd must be happening with Lexcellent's connections, loose wire maybe?? Because the 2006 and 2007 should be identical, and it seems to be working for you... The nav "losing" you sometimes is a problem people who have NOT done the hack experience as well...

We'll see what happens when 350_PR tries it...
Tonight i will make the hacking..
I will let you know guys as soon i finish.

Talk later..
Old 10-13-06, 10:06 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Question

Everyone with a 2007 who has done the hack, please download these 2 video clips and report back which your nav looks like... "smooth" or "jumpy"...

These are .MP4 files that I've renamed as .AVI.

IS350_Smooth_Nav.avi
IS350_Jumpy_Nav.avi
Old 10-15-06, 12:02 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

I cant believe that everyone is just doing this mod. I willprobably do it too once my initial fear of something going wrong with the navi in the future (un-mod related). Then the stealership has a good reason not to honor the warranty.
Old 10-15-06, 12:03 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

The company that offers bluetooth advice for my dealership said they can do this mod for $375. LOL The guy said it involves using some relays, etc. I wonder if that was just BS. I need to call back tomorrow and ask if it voids the warranty.
Old 10-15-06, 01:42 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
I cant believe that everyone is just doing this mod. I willprobably do it too once my initial fear of something going wrong with the navi in the future (un-mod related). Then the stealership has a good reason not to honor the warranty.
im pretty sure a cl member would do it for u for a small fee whether it be food or money.
Old 10-15-06, 09:34 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to call back tomorrow and ask if it voids the warranty.
Curious about that, let us know.
Old 10-15-06, 09:38 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The company that offers bluetooth advice for my dealership said they can do this mod for $375. LOL The guy said it involves using some relays, etc. I wonder if that was just BS. I need to call back tomorrow and ask if it voids the warranty.

uhh.. The way i did it involves relays. It is more controllable then what you guys did.

The DIY is like beginner for the Nav Hack.

The way I did it with Relays is Advanced Nav Hack.

No need to fret, you can still make it better if you did it as per this DIY. I can guide you through the process to make it better.
Old 10-15-06, 02:01 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a couple questions. Sorry if they're stupid, I scanned a little bit of the thread, but didn't want to search 23 pages...

1. I'm a little confused based on some of the recent replies. Does this hack not work the same on 2007 models?

2. Are there any common mishaps or malfunctions that people have experienced after they do this?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-15-06, 02:12 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I have a couple questions. Sorry if they're stupid, I scanned a little bit of the thread, but didn't want to search 23 pages...

1. I'm a little confused based on some of the recent replies. Does this hack not work the same on 2007 models?

2. Are there any common mishaps or malfunctions that people have experienced after they do this?

Thanks for the help.
1. Unknown, it should work, but only a few people with 07's have tried... one has success, the other no...

2. loose wiring connections is the only problem... make your connections properly and you should have no issues
Old 10-15-06, 02:55 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by istundra
uhh.. The way i did it involves relays. It is more controllable then what you guys did.

The DIY is like beginner for the Nav Hack.

The way I did it with Relays is Advanced Nav Hack.

No need to fret, you can still make it better if you did it as per this DIY. I can guide you through the process to make it better.

I'd much rather do it the "right way". Have you poseted what you did anywhere? I'm interested
Old 10-15-06, 03:52 PM
istundra
Pole Position

OK simple.

Parts need:

(3) 5 Prong Relays
couple feet of 18 Guage White Wire
couple feet of 18 Guage Red Wire
couple feet of 18 Guage Pink or wutever color wire... This is for the Pink Wire
Bunch of Male & Female SPade Connectors
(1) nice switch. i'll show u the link later. about $12.00.
(1) T Tap
some eletrical tape

OK. Once youget all of the parts, you need to extend the 3 wires you have cut. approx 6-10 inches
The White Wire
The Red Wire
The Pink Wire

I pretty much wired the relays like this:
--Pink Relay--
Pin 30 = Pink Wire from the Car
Pin 87A = Pink Wire to the HU
Pin 85 = Switched 12V (+)
Pin 86 = Ground
Pin 87 = To White Pin 87
--White Relay--
Pin 30 = White Wire from the Car
Pin 87A = White Wire to the HU
Pin 86 = Ground
Pin 87 = To Pink Pin 87

From Pink Relay Pin 87 to White Relay Pin 87. Connect these 2 pins together with a Wire.

--Red Relay--
Pin 30 = Red Wire from the Car
Pin 87A = Red Wire to the HU
Pin 86 = Ground
Pin 87 = Ground

When the coil is not charged (NO 12V Applied), Pin 30 and 87A will act as 1 wire.

When the coil is charged (12V Applied), Pin 30 and Pin 87A will be interupted and disconnected. Pin 30 will connect to Pin 87

DOes this make sense? Let me know.
Old 10-15-06, 04:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,016 Likes on 2,432 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
...2. loose wiring connections is the only problem... make your connections properly and you should have no issues
This is the #1 reason I am leary of used cars. When someone hacks the OEM harness and does not do quality work, mystery problems crop up at some point and sometimes render the vehicle inoperable. I've seen this with OEM harnesses too (I have a very long story about troubleshooting a single bad connection on the ECM connector on my Supra), but I have only rarely seen a modded wiring harness that equalled factory quality.

Case in point - single spade connectors for three wires. Why? Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to get a three or four pin polarised block connector for an inline device? Since you can get connectors and pins from Lexus, you could actually do it so it looks completely factory, and has factory reliability (assuming you own some decent crimping tools.)

I also feel very sorry for the ultimate owner of any car with a soldered wiring harness. Nothing could be more UNreliable. Wiring harnesses with solder connections are illegal on aircraft for a reason - they have a poor MTBF especially in high vibration environments - and they are extremely difficult to troubleshoot because the breaks are under the insulation at the point where the solder/flux wicked up underneath it. I know this from first hand experience on my WC-135B. You'll notice there are no connections on the OEM harness with solder on them. It's not for cost reasons.
Old 10-15-06, 08:33 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is the #1 reason I am leary of used cars. When someone hacks the OEM harness and does not do quality work, mystery problems crop up at some point and sometimes render the vehicle inoperable. I've seen this with OEM harnesses too (I have a very long story about troubleshooting a single bad connection on the ECM connector on my Supra), but I have only rarely seen a modded wiring harness that equalled factory quality.

Case in point - single spade connectors for three wires. Why? Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to get a three or four pin polarised block connector for an inline device? Since you can get connectors and pins from Lexus, you could actually do it so it looks completely factory, and has factory reliability (assuming you own some decent crimping tools.)
I agree the connections can be better, but i have proposed a good solution with the use of relays for this hack.

The block connector does sound interesting. COuld you please share in depth?

In my opinion, having the Nav Hack controlled via switch is the best. If in the event your car does need those such wires to be connected, a flip of the switch will reconnect all cut wires back to OEM... assuming the extra connections would not affect the overall feed of the signal.

I hacked mine with the switch and it does work great with more control.
Old 10-16-06, 10:31 AM
chuckler
Driver

Originally Posted by istundra;2183***
OK simple.

Parts need:

(3) 5 Prong Relays
couple feet of 18 Guage White Wire
couple feet of 18 Guage Red Wire
couple feet of 18 Guage Pink or wutever color wire... This is for the Pink Wire
Bunch of Male & Female SPade Connectors
(1) nice switch. i'll show u the link later. about $12.00.
(1) T Tap
some eletrical tape

OK. Once youget all of the parts, you need to extend the 3 wires you have cut. approx 6-10 inches
The White Wire
The Red Wire
The Pink Wire

I pretty much wired the relays like this:
--Pink Relay--
Pin 30 = Pink Wire from the Car
Pin 87A = Pink Wire to the HU
Pin 86 = Ground
Pin 87 = To White Pin 87
--White Relay--
Pin 30 = White Wire from the Car
Pin 87A = White Wire to the HU
Pin 86 = Ground
Pin 87 = To Pink Pin 87

From Pink Relay Pin 87 to White Relay Pin 87. Connect these 2 pins together with a Wire.

--Red Relay--
Pin 30 = Red Wire from the Car
Pin 87A = Red Wire to the HU
Pin 86 = Ground
Pin 87 = Ground

When the coil is not charged (NO 12V Applied), Pin 30 and 87A will act as 1 wire.

When the coil is charged (12V Applied), Pin 30 and Pin 87A will be interupted and disconnected. Pin 30 will connect to Pin 87

DOes this make sense? Let me know.

do you think you can get us a picture of what this looks like? where did you put the switch and which one did you use..?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving