IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 05:34 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I did it, but screwed up my vents so that they don't work right now. Anyone got a tip on how to fix?

Oh, and yes I'm an idiot.
Old 11-16-06, 05:44 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^i think we need to put a disclaimer on this thread. what exactly is wrong with your vents?
Old 11-16-06, 05:54 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Originally Posted by kensteele
^^^i think we need to put a disclaimer on this thread. what exactly is wrong with your vents?
Well, it was my fault, the directions were fine. The horizontal "slits" in each side come to a point, where there is a vertical piece of plastic which holds them togther and somehow connects to the dial to aim the outgoing air. That vertical piece has come undone on both sides and I can't tell how to get them back on correctly to attach to the dial. Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-16-06, 06:05 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by livinitup7
Well, it was my fault, the directions were fine. The horizontal "slits" in each side come to a point, where there is a vertical piece of plastic which holds them togther and somehow connects to the dial to aim the outgoing air. That vertical piece has come undone on both sides and I can't tell how to get them back on correctly to attach to the dial. Thanks for any advice.
Read through the thread, somewhere near the beginning something similar happened to another guy at like 3AM... His vents collapsed like dominos... hehe... He said that reassembling them was easy, but it just took time and that it was "like doing legoz, lolz!"

Don't sweat it, you can reassemble them, it will just take some patience
Old 12-09-06, 05:15 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

To clear up ANY confusion, I did the full nav hack described on the first page of this post on my 2007 IS350.

Everything works perfectly... There are NO changes from 2006 to 2007 with the wiring or hack...

See my webpage in my sig for pics and stuff...
Old 12-10-06, 12:48 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you. You always have great DIYs.
Old 12-10-06, 09:01 PM
linnboi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anyone in the * jersey * area that help me out with the nav/dvd hack & destination override? hit me up @ linnboi@hotmail.com
Old 02-01-07, 11:09 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

its kinda hard to read through 29+ pages in one sitting but how is the removal of the dash different with the manual transmission?
Old 02-04-07, 07:44 AM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

I want to know what happens when you have a problem with the Navi or the CD player or the Radio, and the Lexus tech has to pull it out and sees the wires you cut, I think you will be screwed then. I don't see it as worth taking the chance. That would be a really expensive mistake, if the unit fails
Old 02-06-07, 03:20 PM
Lexellent
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 Mod prob

As you may recall I had posted that after receiving my '07 IS that I had felt there were some wiring changes. As later posted, I was incorrect. To make a long story short I have been driving around thinking all was well with my mod. I was able to access the folders on my iPod while driving and the nav screen was working, although I now know what the "jumpiness" means. Then I actually tried to use the nav to travel somewhere I was unfamiliar. It did not work. Yes, it calculated the route but there was NO voice guidance.

Today I decided to recreate the modification following the instructions exactly. I first put everything back as OEM. All worked well and as according to the manual.

Then I recut the white with silver dots and the pink wires. I connected the wireloom sides and capped the head unit side on both. I went for a drive and three things happened.
1. Jumpiness returned to display
2. No ability to access folders etc while driving
3. No voice guidance

I can recut the pink wire and leave the white one connected and get folder access again, but the other problems persist.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Otherwise I guess it is back to OEM.

Thanks
Old 02-06-07, 03:30 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexellent
As you may recall I had posted that after receiving my '07 IS that I had felt there were some wiring changes. As later posted, I was incorrect. To make a long story short I have been driving around thinking all was well with my mod. I was able to access the folders on my iPod while driving and the nav screen was working, although I now know what the "jumpiness" means. Then I actually tried to use the nav to travel somewhere I was unfamiliar. It did not work. Yes, it calculated the route but there was NO voice guidance.

Today I decided to recreate the modification following the instructions exactly. I first put everything back as OEM. All worked well and as according to the manual.

Then I recut the white with silver dots and the pink wires. I connected the wireloom sides and capped the head unit side on both. I went for a drive and three things happened.
1. Jumpiness returned to display
2. No ability to access folders etc while driving
3. No voice guidance

I can recut the pink wire and leave the white one connected and get folder access again, but the other problems persist.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Otherwise I guess it is back to OEM.

Thanks
All I can say is make sure you are cutting the CORRECT white/silver wire... Look at the picture in the beginning of the thread... And make sure it's from the proper connector, P1, which is right next to the P50 connector that has the pink wire... There's a similar connector next to it that has a white/silver wire... You don't want that wire obviously... Just double check everything against the pictures in this thread, and the pictures on the website in my signature... You probably are just cutting/connecting the wrong wire somewhere...
Old 02-06-07, 03:34 PM
Lexellent
Driver School Candidate

It is the white/silver dot wire below. It looked like it goes up to the other connector. I will take another look at that. That does make the most sense. I have checked my connections many times to be sure they are stable.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-07, 04:07 PM
Lexellent
Driver School Candidate

Here was the problem;

The white with silver dot wire coming out of P1 was cut correctly. I had connected at the end going into the plug below J50 on the head unit side. I should have used the cut side coming out of P1 and connected to the loom side of Pink wire from J50.

All is now well with the modification

Now to go back and dig out the post on entering a destination while driving.
Old 02-06-07, 04:41 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexellent
Here was the problem;

The white with silver dot wire coming out of P1 was cut correctly. I had connected at the end going into the plug below J50 on the head unit side. I should have used the cut side coming out of P1 and connected to the loom side of Pink wire from J50.

All is now well with the modification

Now to go back and dig out the post on entering a destination while driving.
Woo Hoo!!! Congrats man

If you want to install a switch that allows destination while moving, you'll basically install a switch in between the silver and pink wire you just successfully connected... I posted a separate thread on it here, plus it's on my website... Keep us posted as to what you end up doing... And again, congrats on getting the hack 100% working!
Old 02-07-07, 02:54 PM
93illini
Driver School Candidate

Does the hack allow me to use the phonepad to dial numbers or will I be restricted to phonebook entries?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving