IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07 | 06:02 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. i'm stuck..

I finally did the Nav hack with switch.. but ran into a problem.. its jumpy..

Ok.. so I have a 07 350..

remove everything,

cut the pink wire and white with silver

attached the pink wire(from the car) to the switch
then attached the white with sliver (from the bottom plug, forgot whats the number plug) to the switch.

this the switch I used.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rt&tab=summary

result.. = everything work during moving... switch on or off everything still work??? wtf.

and its jumpy?

Where is my problem? the switch? or the wiring?

the pink wire (from the nav HU) remind cut and not connected
white and sliver (from the P1- HU) remind cut and not connected

Pink wire(from the car) is connected to the switch
White and Silver (from Under J50 Plug) is connected to the switch

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.. thx
Old 05-28-07 | 06:51 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

when you switch it OFF, you should be able to access the Destinations and Add address.

It doesn't matter how the switch is hooked up. The switch is interrupting the circuit.

I would double check the connection to the switch.

I find it hard to believe that you were able to connect the switch without extensions.

How did you complete the extensions to the pink and white wire?

Is it soldered? Butt connector? Spade connector? Or just simple twist w/ black tape method?

One more thing, have you bypassed the switch? Is it a good switch? Did you test it?

Maybe technique can chime.... Since he did developed this portion of the hack.
Old 05-28-07 | 07:55 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 4GRFSE-GFM
when you switch it OFF, you should be able to access the Destinations and Add address.

It doesn't matter how the switch is hooked up. The switch is interrupting the circuit.

I would double check the connection to the switch.

I find it hard to believe that you were able to connect the switch without extensions.

How did you complete the extensions to the pink and white wire?

Is it soldered? Butt connector? Spade connector? Or just simple twist w/ black tape method?

One more thing, have you bypassed the switch? Is it a good switch? Did you test it?

Maybe technique can chime.... Since he did developed this portion of the hack.
thats the thing, when the switch is OFF or ON., I still can access the Destinations and address while on the move.

Yes I had to use some wire to extent the OEM wire.

I then use a simple split then twist, and tape..

bypassed the switch? what do you mean?...

The switch should be good. its brand new from Radio Shack.

The switch does have led.. but do we have to connect the ground cable?

thx
Old 05-28-07 | 08:05 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Try removing the switch and cross the two wires together.

If it is crossed, it should disable Destinations and address while moving.

If bypassing the switch works, that means you either have a defective switch OR installer error.
Old 05-29-07 | 07:56 AM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

i'll try that
Old 05-30-07 | 01:29 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by istundra
Try removing the switch and cross the two wires together.

If it is crossed, it should disable Destinations and address while moving.

If bypassing the switch works, that means you either have a defective switch OR installer error.
OK.. so I remove the switch.. cross the wire together... and its back.. Destinations and address while moving. is disable...

but then if i'm right.. when I remover the two cross wire... it should enable the Destinations and address while moving. Correct? but it doesn't..

maybe my wire gauge is too small..... going to rewire everything again later.

And there is only two cable involve in this whole matter correct.... Pink and white with silver... Thats it correct?
Old 05-30-07 | 06:11 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tdrag97
OK.. so I remove the switch.. cross the wire together... and its back.. Destinations and address while moving. is disable...

but then if i'm right.. when I remover the two cross wire... it should enable the Destinations and address while moving. Correct? but it doesn't..

maybe my wire gauge is too small..... going to rewire everything again later.

And there is only two cable involve in this whole matter correct.... Pink and white with silver... Thats it correct?
um...

If the white and pink wire is not connected, it will enable destinations and address while moving.

when I remover the two cross wire... it should enable the Destinations and address while moving. Correct? but it doesn't..
I do not understand why it doesn't enable when you disconnect the two crossed wires.

when you disconnect the crossed wires, no speedo is connected, so you will have a jumpy nav.
Old 05-31-07 | 12:20 PM
ysalar
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation hack questions

Hi i just have a few questions about this navigation hack firstly does it affect the navigation speed or how fast you move on the map, secondly i would like to know what you mean by grounding the parking brake wire. also whats this override function what does that do and how do you do it thank you in advance

Sal
Old 06-02-07 | 01:09 PM
SpookJr
Rookie

The J50 plug has a light pink wire and a darker pink wire. Which on is it exactly.
Old 06-03-07 | 04:43 PM
WillyC24
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone's guidance, I can now watch DVDs and access Bluetooth while moving.

However, now my Passenger Air Bag indicator light (in the middle of the dash) does NOT illuminate, and the Air Bag light (on the dash) is always on.

Ideas?
Old 06-04-07 | 08:08 AM
WillyC24
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I realized this morning that nothing in the "clock" panel works. I do not have time, hazard, or airbag indicator light. I will go back and check to see if everything is plugged in.

BTW - I had my NAV unit disconnected for about 5 hours since I got distracteed while working on it. Good thing I left the vent covers off until I knew it was all working right!
Old 06-04-07 | 02:03 PM
astralfx
Driver School Candidate

Hey Everyone,

I'm in Mountain View. While everyone says this is an easy hack I still would hate it if i damaged my new car and would rather have someone with experience do it. Anyone in the area willing to help me out? what's your price and where are you at? Thanks!
Old 06-07-07 | 06:31 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

I have performed the nav hack last weekend and so far so good. No mistakes on my part.

I would like to thanks everyone who contributed on this thread. Especially tim817 with the good write up and photos.
Old 06-10-07 | 08:02 PM
yogi350
Rookie

Hey all i HAVE to say this and i feel entitled to since i just read through all 34 pages and about 500 posts.

First ill help, ***** there is a little plug on the passanger side of the nav you either forgot to connect or it came undone so you need to go back in and make sure EVERYTHING is connected...

Now what i have to say...I would like to thank the big contributors to this thread such as technique and brian. I cant believe this thread has made it this far with the same questions being answered OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. There was no flaming and no getting mad and you were always ready and willing to answer. That is amazing from a car forum and i thank you.

Now that being said ill probably be tackling this in a week or two after i get my car and if i have anything weird come up ill post but i think i know how to fix the most perceived errors.
Old 06-13-07 | 11:59 PM
peterAP2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Payam
To enter addresses while driving, you don't have to cut or splice any wires. You can select the overide button by going into the volume menu then:
touching the top left corner
bottom left corner
top left corner
bottom left corner

then hold the override button for 5 seconds.

The reason for the wore cutting is so that you can use all of the other functions of the nav system while you are moving. For example: dial a phone number, look at folders or song titles on your cd's and stuff like that.
so this is a one time thing for entering addresses or every time i want to enter an address?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving