IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07 | 06:30 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ERG
We need the step by step only for the (ML/DVD/WHILE MOVING) hopefully the above hack is not necessary for that. What s wire ground ??
Read the first post in this thread. You need to do everything listed there for ML/DVD while moving...
Old 08-04-07 | 01:56 PM
jg71q
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending two days reviewing the 500+ entries on this topic I successfully completed the mod's on my one week old IS250 yesterday. The total time required, including cleanup was 2.5 hours to complete the following:

1) The basic mod as described at the top of this topic to enable the audio and phone functionality.

2) The addition of the switch to interrupt the speed input into the Nav when I want to enter destinations while in route. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...av+hack+switch

The switch I used, which looks great in one of the empty spots on the dash is the Scion OEM Style GSW-45 Rocker Switch (On/Off Style) for $7.99 from http://www.oznium.com. The switch was on my doorstep 4 days after I ordered it online and with about two minutes of filling on the dash opening, it fits really well and looks OEM.

Everything works as described. THANK YOU to all the early contributors that cleared this path for me!!! The hardest part (by far) was the vent removal. 20 minutes into it I succeeded by following the advice of another contributor as follows.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vents - It cannot be over-emphasized that you really need to have the right tools to successfully complete this task. Removing the vents took me an hour only because I made darn sure that anything I was attempting would not have irreversible damage. To that end, I could not find anywhere on the vents where a plastic pick or wedge would get enough hold to pull the vent loose. After I hit the 1 hour mark, I decide to try something different. Remember the 4 clips that you need to pull down in order to start to remove the vents? Well it turns out there is just enough space in the hole of the first clip to fit a U-shaped hex key. A standard L-shaped key won't help because there's nothing to give you leverage. One end of the he U-shaped fits right into the hole, while the other gives you something to gentle pull with. In no time at all, the entire vent came loose on the left side, then repeating the process in the far right clip hole loosened the other.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should you do this mod? There are 4 factors to consider first.

1) Do you have the skills to do the job? (IMHO you need a basic understanding of how to make good electrical connections and some prior experience installing car stereos, etc to do this confidently)
2) Can you accept the risk of Lexus excluding the Nav system from your warrantee due to a breach of warrantee on this fairly expensive piece of equipment.
3) Are you concerned about a potential liability if you get into an accident using the system against the manufacturers designed “safety” limitations
4) If you do the DVD mod, are you concerned about the legality of this mod given that in many states, it is against the law.

Id you are OK with the answers to the above questions, the procedure is working for me as advertised.
Old 08-11-07 | 03:31 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great DIY. spent less than an hour taking everything apart and putting it back together. now my passangers can watch dvd's or music videos instead of just listening to music while i drive. no problems so far.
Old 08-11-07 | 06:49 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

One point on the DVD mod is that during reassembly put the vent cover back on the vent structure and then mount the entire vent structure with cover on into the vehicle. I kept trying to put the cover back on once the vent structure was mounted into the vehicle, subsequently the vent slats kept falling off. This makes a huge difference and would have saved me hours!
Old 08-17-07 | 12:55 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does Grounding mean? I kept on reading, didn't understand.
Old 08-17-07 | 06:59 AM
taze
Driver School Candidate

if you dont understand grounding, i wouldn’t recommend you do the mod or at least work with someone who has a basic understanding of electricity wiring.
ALSO BE FORWARNED!!!! You can suffer permanent damage by doing this mod!!! Read the Following, its real and randomly strikes without prejudice:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=300340
Old 09-19-07 | 08:11 AM
Tacobiter
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know how to do the "Enter Destination While Moving" procedure with the new 2008 navigation system?
Old 09-19-07 | 08:33 AM
CASANOVA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tacobiter
Does anyone know how to do the "Enter Destination While Moving" procedure with the new 2008 navigation system?
You can't unless you do the mods.
Old 09-27-07 | 07:43 AM
CASANOVA
Driver School Candidate

Got a question for all that did the mods. Have you encounter any issues after you modify the NAV system? I want to modify my NAV but I am concern about possible issues after. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 11-04-07 | 04:49 PM
*Anamima*
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know if the nav hack instructions will work for an 07 is250. i tried the manual override and it doesn't work on my is.
Old 11-04-07 | 06:28 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

What the h*ll does DIY mean???, I have seen it in almost a million thread
Old 11-04-07 | 06:56 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DIY = do it yourself
Old 11-05-07 | 11:51 AM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

Have a Quick Question. If you just ground the wire to watch dvd's will the dvd's play? or do i have to do the whole hack just to get the dvd's. I don't really care about the phone book and stuff and only wanna watch the dvd's. Anyone shed some light on that?
Old 11-05-07 | 01:33 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoHwan
Have a Quick Question. If you just ground the wire to watch dvd's will the dvd's play? or do i have to do the whole hack just to get the dvd's. I don't really care about the phone book and stuff and only wanna watch the dvd's. Anyone shed some light on that?
Good question, I'll await the answer! However, I would imagine you may still have a jumpy nav, if grounding the E-brake, which may or may not matter to you?
Old 11-05-07 | 09:01 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

The ground wire really does that much? I'm thinking the ground wire for the ebrake is just a wire to make sure that people don't drive while watching movies. I'm hoping that that's the only function of that wire that everyone is grounding for enabling the use of watching dvd's. I don't think it'll affect the navigation at all, unless I'm totally wrong which is why I asked ANYONE only do the ground for the nav unit?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving