IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 05:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DROBB
I just did the nav hack and all i am able to do is access the phone. Am i supposed to be able to enter addresses and POI's. Is there something that was done wrong please let me know thanks
did you install a switch? if you dont install the switch then it allows all features but you cant enter destination while moving. let us know. Technique is good with it. just did mine and works great!
Old 01-12-08, 06:11 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
okay i went a different direction with the switch. i installed it in a easy to use that did require a hole to be drilled out. took all of 5 min to install and i like that its easy to use where its located. enjoy!! also to note i choose that spot as there are many things that would get in the way so i couldnt hide it as much as i wanted. so if you choose this location please make sure your switch has enough room.
I too am trying to find a good location for the switch but I want to make sure it is completely reversible (so no drilling of holes.) I would place it like Technique did but I cannot find a switch that is OEM looking.
Old 01-12-08, 07:37 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
I too am trying to find a good location for the switch but I want to make sure it is completely reversible (so no drilling of holes.) I would place it like Technique did but I cannot find a switch that is OEM looking.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254545
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253264
Old 02-06-08, 04:26 AM
drooi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some help needed here - I got my auto-electrician to do the wire hack, put a switch in-line, and ground the red wire. Most things work, like the DVD plays, bluetooth dialing works whilst moving. However I feel the satnav is not as accurate, and my position lags a bit behind. Also, the satnav is not jumpy when the switch is engaged (connection broken), it just stays frozen for as long as the switch is engaged. When the connection is restored the satnav takes several minutes to "catch up". Do you guys think the wiring is done incorrectly? If so how come everything else works as it should?? Thanks.
Old 02-24-08, 10:52 AM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this mod will void the nav warranty, right? i mean if i have some nav based issue i'm probably gonna be stuck with the replacement and labor costs or am i wrong?
Old 02-24-08, 11:11 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drooi
Some help needed here - I got my auto-electrician to do the wire hack, put a switch in-line, and ground the red wire. Most things work, like the DVD plays, bluetooth dialing works whilst moving. However I feel the satnav is not as accurate, and my position lags a bit behind. Also, the satnav is not jumpy when the switch is engaged (connection broken), it just stays frozen for as long as the switch is engaged. When the connection is restored the satnav takes several minutes to "catch up". Do you guys think the wiring is done incorrectly? If so how come everything else works as it should?? Thanks.
sounds like something isnt fully correct. could be where you are located? i havent had any troubles i did have to go back a 2nd time to check my connections and all works fine along with the switch. make sure they have the correct wires, as it sounds like they do, but cant hurt to go over all connections and wires to make sure all is 100%. maybe try it with out the switch to see how it works also? maybe a bad switch or the wrong kind?

maybe others will have something to add. it does work!!
Old 02-24-08, 11:14 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by APBT4Me
this mod will void the nav warranty, right? i mean if i have some nav based issue i'm probably gonna be stuck with the replacement and labor costs or am i wrong?
if anything related to your navi goes out and they see the hack they most likely will make you pay for the item. they have to prove that what you have done also caused the error if that makes sense. its not that hard and many have had it working for 2 years now with no troubles.

with all that i see you have done to your car already i dont think you have anything to worry about and its worth it! had i known the navi wasnt like Acura i would have purchased another car or had no navi in this car.

good luck with the hack!
Old 02-24-08, 11:16 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oblivionis
i did have to drill a whole...not worried about it and i like the location of where i put it. worked out perfect. i wanted to put it in the ashtray area but put it by my seat so its sort of hidden where most will never know its there but functional...good luck!
Old 02-24-08, 11:19 AM
chb402
Driver

Default ...

Originally Posted by APBT4Me
it should void the warranty.

but if the dealer is nice, then they might ask you to put it back to original and then they will assume you didn't do anything, and cover under warranty..

i bought the Nav Hack Kit instead...

just so that I can always put it back to original...

with the Nav Hack Kit, you can use OEM setup mode, and Hack mode..

this manual hack mod does not allow the OEM setup.

Nav Hack Kit is expensivo~

but think about your Nav screen going black out or "Dead Pixel
Old 02-24-08, 07:29 PM
playboi25
Driver School Candidate

how long did this take? so are you able to use the nav system still? or just able to use it at dvd player?
Old 02-24-08, 08:31 PM
chb402
Driver

Default ...

Originally Posted by playboi25
how long did this take? so are you able to use the nav system still? or just able to use it at dvd player?
i think this mod will take about 3 hours for beginers... or i don't know that is just my guess..

this manual mod will allow everything while the vehicle is in motion.

the current position marker on the map might get very jumpy if you perform this mod improperly...

in order to play DVDs while in motion, you need to have ML package or an aftermarket DVD simulator in addition to this manual nav hack and also grounding the parking wire(harness side, not the loom side).
Old 02-25-08, 02:43 PM
zduchene
Driver School Candidate

On a 2008 IS this hack will not let you put in an address while moving?

Please clarify.
Old 02-25-08, 02:44 PM
zduchene
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chb402
i think this mod will take about 3 hours for beginers... or i don't know that is just my guess..

the current position marker on the map might get very jumpy if you perform this mod improperly...

in order to play DVDs while in motion, you need to have ML package or an aftermarket DVD simulator in addition to this manual nav hack and also grounding the parking wire(harness side, not the loom side).
On your 2008 this hack does let you put in the address while driving? Do you have to disable the speed control (with a switch of course)? If so, how long does it take for the navigation to pick up your "new" location?
Old 02-25-08, 02:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chb402

if you have all items that you need this will take all of an hour to do. most of the work is removing the dash and items to access the wires. just make sure you follow the instructions from the OP. you will not have a jumpy navi if you follow the process.
Old 02-25-08, 02:58 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zduchene
On a 2008 IS this hack will not let you put in an address while moving?

Please clarify.
it does allow you to input while in motion if you add the switch that Technique did in his install, search his DIY thread and follow the steps. if you dont put the switch as in this thread then you will not be able to enter destinations while in motion. the hack with out the swithc allows phonebook, info, and other items to be used while in motion. there is another step to allow dvd in motion if that is an option on your car.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving