Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 09:07 AM
japkong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Your welcome!
i just got an automotive switch from radio shack for like 2$ or maybe less?? cant recall now. Others have a toyota/lexus switch and mounted it next to the switches on the dash there are a few empty slots. You can mount this where you find it to work best for you.

Do you know this ebay seller ID : reality_based_solutions_inc
sell this free information on Ebay to make dirty money, it is free information on internet, everybody should get it for free, and this seller just stole this forum information and sell it on Ebay, can we do something to stop him??
Old 04-09-08, 09:56 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont have nav :-( cant do this i guess
Old 04-09-08, 11:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0723
i dont have nav :-( cant do this i guess

No, you can't reenable features while driving that the car doesn't have while stopped either :P
Old 04-10-08, 12:50 PM
japkong
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by s0l0
Wow, I was curious and bought these instructions from eBay. They are directly word for word and same pics taken from here on CL. Tim, are you the seller also on eBay because otherwise this would a total scam. Just had to let out my anger for losing $10 for the auction . Hahaa, oh wells, let me know if it's you who sold this info on eBay. The link to the sold info is here:
http://www.RealityBasedSolutions.com...ent/is-dvd.htm

yes, that ebayer sellers stole the information from this forum and make the dirty money
Old 04-25-08, 09:06 PM
KKSaus
Driver School Candidate

What can you do when you snapped one of the clips on the vent . Its impossible to remove the vent now...
Old 04-25-08, 11:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KKSaus
What can you do when you snapped one of the clips on the vent . Its impossible to remove the vent now...
Uh oh...
Old 04-27-08, 03:09 PM
Kris Laes
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I'm new here, from Belgium, owner of a IS 220d since 3 days...

Being locked out of the navi, phone ea during driving was quite a disappointment for me but this tread helped me much and I am now the proud owned of a hacked nav
Since this tread helped me so much I thought I might share some photos for people with manual shifter (stick drive), since the first few steps are a little different.

The first thing to remove is the part of the center console where the cupholder and the handbrake are in. Just gently pull up at the front of this part, just behind the stick. It should come off easily.

I just left this piece hanging on the handbrake, as can be seen in the picture.

Next, remove the **** from the stick by unscrewing it counterclockwise and unclip the leather. Now, gently pull the piece of the center console where the stick is in up from the front, so the side where the red screwdriver is in this pic. It will come off in one piece, including the silver bars that you need to remove first if you are doing the mod on an autoshift. I tried to remove the silver bars first but abviously they didn't come off and I lightly scratched one

Voilà, from here on the work is the same as on page 1. My IS is a 2008 model and I a happy to say that all wires were the same on it, making the mod a breeze. For the Navi mod, I used a Tamiya R/C car switch between the pink and the white/silver wire, installed the switch in the ashtray compartment as can be seen here:

Not as clean as some here but good enough, as this part of the ashtray can be taken out and cheaply replaced, and I was in a hurry so I used what I had lying around
Old 04-27-08, 08:04 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Laes

Being locked out of the navi, phone ea during driving was quite a disappointment for me but this tread helped me much and I am now the proud owned of a hacked nav
Since this tread helped me so much I thought I might share some photos for people with manual shifter (stick drive), since the first few steps are a little different.

The first thing to remove is the part of the center console where the cupholder and the handbrake are in. Just gently pull up at the front of this part, just behind the stick. It should come off easily.

I just left this piece hanging on the handbrake, as can be seen in the picture.

Next, remove the **** from the stick by unscrewing it counterclockwise and unclip the leather. Now, gently pull the piece of the center console where the stick is in up from the front, so the side where the red screwdriver is in this pic. It will come off in one piece, including the silver bars that you need to remove first if you are doing the mod on an autoshift. I tried to remove the silver bars first but abviously they didn't come off and I lightly scratched one

Voilà, from here on the work is the same as on page 1. My IS is a 2008 model and I a happy to say that all wires were the same on it, making the mod a breeze. For the Navi mod, I used a Tamiya R/C car switch between the pink and the white/silver wire, installed the switch in the ashtray compartment as can be seen here:

Not as clean as some here but good enough, as this part of the ashtray can be taken out and cheaply replaced, and I was in a hurry so I used what I had lying around
Nice add We should post info on the first post for members that also have a model similar to yours so they can find the info easier with out going thru pages of info!
Old 04-27-08, 08:59 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Originally Posted by Kris Laes

Great first post mate, welcome to the club
Old 05-15-08, 12:21 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got around to installing the switch. I was going for a stealth OEM looking solution and this is what I came up with. The switch is a bit too bulky for my taste but at least it fits perfectly. It is out of the way but easily reachable. It works great too.
Name:  DSC04107.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  145.1 KB
Old 05-15-08, 01:36 AM
blklexo818
Pole Position

im not reading all 40 pages or anything but this work with the 08s?
Old 05-15-08, 08:39 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
I finally got around to installing the switch. I was going for a stealth OEM looking solution and this is what I came up with. The switch is a bit too bulky for my taste but at least it fits perfectly. It is out of the way but easily reachable. It works great too.
Excellent job!! Very clean and OEM looking... Yes, the switch is a bit bulky, but if you want the OEM look/fit, they are all bulky from Toyota... lol...

Originally Posted by blklexo818
im not reading all 40 pages or anything but this work with the 08s?
Yes, it will work with the 08.
Old 05-15-08, 11:46 AM
chuckler
Driver

+1 i used the same switch..big and bulky but looks really stock.
Old 05-30-08, 07:09 AM
chadfetter
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I Finally got the nerve to try this DIY myself. I quickly got to the point of taking out the airvents, and then got too nervous about scratching/wrecking my dash, so I put everything back together before the wife got home.

Does anyone have any pictures of the tools they used and how they used them to pry the airvents out without wrecking the dash?

How are you using this tool? Do you slide it inbetween the dash and the vents on either side and pry out? Do you put it in the airvent some how and then pry out? I would really like to see a picture, or get a little better explaination of how to do this.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-30-08, 07:21 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Looks really good Never noticed that your buttons are different then mine? I have 2 large buttons so both of those are filled up for me where you have the 2 small buttons where my one large one is? Wonder if its a change or it its due to different options between our cars.

Good job!

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving