IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08 | 07:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chadfetter
Ok, I Finally got the nerve to try this DIY myself. I quickly got to the point of taking out the airvents, and then got too nervous about scratching/wrecking my dash, so I put everything back together before the wife got home.

Does anyone have any pictures of the tools they used and how they used them to pry the airvents out without wrecking the dash?

How are you using this tool? Do you slide it inbetween the dash and the vents on either side and pry out? Do you put it in the airvent some how and then pry out? I would really like to see a picture, or get a little better explaination of how to do this.

Thanks in advance!!!
Just follow the pics on the first page
Old 05-30-08 | 07:31 AM
chadfetter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did. I pushed the tabs up. But, the pictures don't show what kind of tool was used to pry the vents out, and how they used that 'plastic' tool to do the prying, and where they pryed from.
Old 05-30-08 | 07:46 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

chadfetter,

The best thing you can buy to pry it out are a set of nylon pry bar set. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for less than $5.

This is what they look like:

This is the link for them at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=
Old 05-30-08 | 07:55 AM
chadfetter
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, That is great!

Did you pry from the sides of the vent and the dash? Or, the top of the vents and the dash? Does it matter? How hard should they be to come out? Will it be pretty easy? I just want to make sure that I am not fighting the clips that I pushed up.....in case I didn't push them up far enough.
Old 05-30-08 | 08:06 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

you want to pry from the right side of the a/c vent first. And IT DOES MATTER on that.

Place the pry bar on the right side of the vent. Make sure it's in well, and then start wiggling it outward until you see it come out. Then, just use your hands to shimmy the vent completely out.

Make sure that all four upper clips have popped downward FIRST. That's very important.
Old 05-30-08 | 08:48 AM
leviq
Driver School Candidate

This hack was done on my 06 350 with ML by the time I bought it. However, I do not have sound from the DVD player. The radio, AUX input and bluetooth all work fine.

Anyone else had problems with DVD sound after doing this hack?

Last edited by leviq; 05-30-08 at 08:50 AM. Reason: asdf
Old 06-02-08 | 07:14 AM
lfeharri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody charge to do this? If so how much? Please PM me.. for I am too scared to do it on my new car.. an expert that will be able to do this would be nice
Old 06-02-08 | 11:39 AM
chadfetter
Driver School Candidate

Ok, My Mod is almost done. I have all the wires done, everything tested and it seems to work great.

Now I am trying to put the #*@m vents back in. Is there a secret to getting them back in? The top seems to go in Ok first, I just cant get the bottom to easily go back in. There are four non-moveable 'tabs' on the bottom that they seem to be gettnig hung up on.

Anyone else have a problem with this? How do you get the vent back in?
Old 06-02-08 | 12:02 PM
chadfetter
Driver School Candidate

Got it.......

Thanks for a great post!!!!!
Old 06-02-08 | 03:37 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lfeharri
Does anybody charge to do this? If so how much? Please PM me.. for I am too scared to do it on my new car.. an expert that will be able to do this would be nice

lol I do but I live all the way in MIA
Old 06-04-08 | 07:33 PM
Losingbig
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 LS430 - NAV Hack for DVD playback

Does anyone have instructions for the 2004? Removing the NAV & are the wires the same, white & pink, plus grounding the red??
Old 07-12-08 | 04:17 PM
smatn5
Driver School Candidate

Looking for someone in the Orlando or anywhere in Central Florida area that is willing to help me with the vent clips/vent removal, will pay gladly for time and I'll come to you. I have the plug and play kit ready to go but cant get vents off.

Just hope I didn't mess the vents clips up too badly to use in my hour of trying to get them down. Having an impossible time with them. The vent removal should be step 1, that way if you can't get them off you don't have to put anything back together lol. Not that it's hard, everything was a breeze up to the vent clips. And I'm sure plug and play is super easy once the vent is off, sigh. Help please!
Old 07-13-08 | 01:14 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so, I just did this "nav hack" and yes I can access the phone book and tracklisting on my mp3 CD's while driving BUT howcome I still can't input addresses and mess w/ the actual NAVIGATION aspect. The reason I did this hack was so I could input addresses on the fly..how can I do so?
Old 07-13-08 | 02:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
Ok so, I just did this "nav hack" and yes I can access the phone book and tracklisting on my mp3 CD's while driving BUT howcome I still can't input addresses and mess w/ the actual NAVIGATION aspect. The reason I did this hack was so I could input addresses on the fly..how can I do so?
you need to install the switch. basically the switch allows you about 1 minute or so to enter your destination and if that doesnt allow you enough time you just toggle it again to replenish your time. There are 2 navi hacks on here see the one by Technique as he has the switch. Once you add this it will do what you want You can get the switch from radio shack also....
Old 07-16-08 | 05:23 PM
smatn5
Driver School Candidate

Finally got my vent out, it took me about 10 minutes with proper tools!

Ignore anything about using a screwdriver to pull the clip into the down (unlocked) position! It works if your clip isnt stuck up there but is still much harder than needed. These are the two tools you need from Harbor Freight Tools, think they were about $7 total:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ubmit2=find+it
Item Number 93514

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ubmit2=find+it
Item Number 95214

On the picks, you want the second one up from the bottom in that photo. The reason you need this pick instead of a standard dentist tool are two fold. One, its thin so it can fit deep into that tiny vent hole. Two, its hook end is strong and thick and can withstand a good tug without bending.

First, watch this video so you know what these clips look like and what you're dealing with!

http://files.filefront.com/IS350_Ven.../fileinfo.html

Here is what worked for me. Twist the pick into the vent hole, then "lasso" the clip with the hook and pull it down. When you can see the tip of the vent clip in front of the little hole, you're good to go. Do this for all four, then take the nylon pry bar. Push it a good half inch into the gap between the dash and the vent on the right side and pry. You'll need a good amount of force, don't worry you will not damage the dash with the nylon tool. Once you get part of the vent out on the right side switch to the left and pry a bit, then the top if needed, etc. Hope this saves some folks all the frustration I went through.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving