IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 07:30 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by doing this hack and if i bought a sl2vi on my non ml nav will i be able to watch videos on the fly off my ipod??? and do i need to ground the red wire? that ml nav owners need to ground ...

Last edited by i3urton; 07-16-08 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 12:48 PM
is300boyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO you guys know if this works on the 2008 IS 250's, because i found the hack for the olderones to go thorogh the internal system and just turn it off without cutting wires, but it doesnt work on my car.
Old 07-17-08, 12:50 PM
is300boyee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tim817
This mod won't let u access the destination menu.. for that there's a way to override without cutting anything. I borrow this from another thread:

Press Menu
Press Volume
Press the Top Left Corner
Press the Bottom Left Corner (there is nothing there)
Press the Top Left Corner
Press the Bottom Left Corner

A new menu screen will come up

Press and hold Override for 5 seconds or until you hear a beep

You will need to do this again after turn off the engine the next time u need to override again.

Only problem is it doesnt work on the 2008's...sorry if someone has asked already, but does anyone have a way to unlock those?
Old 07-23-08, 04:50 PM
devanaire0
Driver

I just pried the vents out with my hands! Well, after fiddling with the clip on the right side of the vent and the one also to the second to the right. Then I took my fingers and pulled it from the right side crease in between the vent itself and the dashboard.

Go figure.

But I am still too scared to do the nav hack cutting and such.
Old 07-25-08, 01:10 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by i3urton
by doing this hack and if i bought a sl2vi on my non ml nav will i be able to watch videos on the fly off my ipod??? and do i need to ground the red wire? that ml nav owners need to ground ...
Any info if i need to ground the wire to get videos off my ipod? and if so how do you ground the red wire in the p50
Old 07-26-08, 04:15 PM
IS-Fuji
Driver School Candidate

Do you know if for 2008 they changed something? I have an IS-F and did the mod and the DVD works fine but its still graying out the icons when in motion. Anyone know? Pretty positive I got all the wires right. thanks!
Old 07-26-08, 06:07 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fuji
Do you know if for 2008 they changed something? I have an IS-F and did the mod and the DVD works fine but its still graying out the icons when in motion. Anyone know? Pretty positive I got all the wires right. thanks!
That's normal, the hack does NOT allow you to use the destination input while moving... It allows everything else...

If you want the destination while moving you will need to use an old firmware or install a switch that kills the speed sensor.
Old 07-27-08, 08:20 PM
devanaire0
Driver

So, to enable playback of the DVD (via Sl2vi) I need to ground the red wire (parking brake) in my non-ml?

How do you 'ground' it...I have no clue what that entails.

Right now I am able to view the phonebook, mp3, and input addresses while moving with the switch, but not able to watch videos in motion.

Last edited by devanaire0; 07-27-08 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 09:41 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by devanaire0
So, to enable playback of the DVD (via Sl2vi) I need to ground the red wire (parking brake) in my non-ml?

How do you 'ground' it...I have no clue what that entails.

Right now I am able to view the phonebook, mp3, and input addresses while moving with the switch, but not able to watch videos in motion.
To ground the red wire, cut it, and attach one end to the metal frame holding the nav unit in place...

What I do is cut the wire, and then ground the PLUG SIDE of the red wire by loosening one of the screws of the metal nav cage and tucking the end of the wire underneath it, then tightening it again... That way, the nav unit thinks the parking brake is always on...
Old 07-29-08, 07:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
To ground the red wire, cut it, and attach one end to the metal frame holding the nav unit in place...

What I do is cut the wire, and then ground the PLUG SIDE of the red wire by loosening one of the screws of the metal nav cage and tucking the end of the wire underneath it, then tightening it again... That way, the nav unit thinks the parking brake is always on...
I was just going to post about this...I did the nav hack for this member last weekend but didnt know he was able to play DVD with out the ML...so is it the same red wire as with the ML DVD?? I told him to hold off and wait before he cut it or I meet him back up again to finish that last part. he has the vaistech sl2vi so I was thinking that I need to find/figure out what the ground wire is for that and ground it to the metal brackets around the navi?? I am open as its not my car so I dont want to F something up!
Old 07-29-08, 08:22 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
I was just going to post about this...I did the nav hack for this member last weekend but didnt know he was able to play DVD with out the ML...so is it the same red wire as with the ML DVD?? I told him to hold off and wait before he cut it or I meet him back up again to finish that last part. he has the vaistech sl2vi so I was thinking that I need to find/figure out what the ground wire is for that and ground it to the metal brackets around the navi?? I am open as its not my car so I dont want to F something up!
Yes, it's the same red wire as with ML DVD
Old 07-29-08, 08:49 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Technique

ground the PLUG SIDE of the red wire by...
when you say plug side do you mean the wire coming from the nav plug or the wire coming from the car...srry if this seems to redundant but i want to make sure.. and i tired a search alrdy for this... a pic would be nice of a ground red wire...
Old 07-29-08, 08:59 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by i3urton
when you say plug side do you mean the wire coming from the nav plug or the wire coming from the car...srry if this seems to redundant but i want to make sure.. and i tired a search alrdy for this... a pic would be nice of a ground red wire...
No worries...

Plug side means wire coming from the nav plug... That way the nav unit thinks the wire is grounded... Do NOT ground the side coming from the car, lol...
Old 07-29-08, 09:23 PM
devanaire0
Driver

Default For those w/o ml and sl2vi

The red wire that you need to cut looks more like a dark pink to me,...and the reason why I was so scared to cut it, but I just went for it, and it worked. I grounded the reddish pink wire to the unit itself in between the metal cage because I didn't cut enough of the wire to get it to the screw itself.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving-img_0085.jpg  
Old 07-29-08, 09:25 PM
devanaire0
Driver

another view.

I have the wire going into a wire connector thingy, and then grounded.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving-img_0087.jpg  

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving