IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 06:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad it all worked out! Next time you are in town I would like to see how that works as I may want to try this kit if the car has navi so I can play the dvds on it. so you know if you can slip the output? meaning have it run to monitors in the back??
Old 07-31-08, 06:30 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I just cut the Red wire and ground it, will it still allow me to play Vids while the car is in motion without cutting the Pink and White wire???
Old 07-31-08, 08:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andyboy
If I just cut the Red wire and ground it, will it still allow me to play Vids while the car is in motion without cutting the Pink and White wire???
Yes they are separate from each other but why not just do both while you have it all apart
Old 08-02-08, 07:04 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andyboy
No, you must do the full nav hack to watch DVDs while the car is in motion.
Old 08-02-08, 10:18 AM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Hey guys I just wanted to share my experience.

I did the nav hack this morning on my 07 IS. I followed the instructions carefully found on page 1. I cut the pink wire on J50 and white wire with silver stripe on P1 then connected them together (both from wireloom). In addition, I grounded the red wire from the head unit to the metal casing. I thought I was done but when I turned on the car, I got an error message on the nav screen that said External system is not connected! I immediately checked all connections and didn't find anything lose. I decided to put everything back to stock. I turned the car on and error's gone! whew!

I didn't feel like giving up so i made another attempt but this time I cut the white wire (thicker with silver spots) and connected it to the pink wire and it worked!!
I can now watch movies off my iphone, access phone dial pad and mp3 folders all while the car is moving!

If you have an 07 IS and plan on doing this mod, don't make same mistake I did the first time.. Make sure you cut the white wire with silver spots (thicker)and not the one with silver stripe!
Thanks guys!
Old 08-02-08, 10:36 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexIS250SS
Hey guys I just wanted to share my experience.

I did the nav hack this morning on my 07 IS. I followed the instructions carefully found on page 1. I cut the pink wire on J50 and white wire with silver stripe on P1 then connected them together (both from wireloom). In addition, I grounded the red wire from the head unit to the metal casing. I thought I was done but when I turned on the car, I got an error message on the nav screen that said External system is not connected! I immediately checked all connections and didn't find anything lose. I decided to put everything back to stock. I turned the car on and error's gone! whew!

I didn't feel like giving up so i made another attempt but this time I cut the white wire (thicker with silver spots) and connected it to the pink wire and it worked!!
I can now watch movies off my iphone, access phone dial pad and mp3 folders all while the car is moving!

If you have an 07 IS and plan on doing this mod, don't make same mistake I did the first time.. Make sure you cut the white wire with silver spots (thicker)and not the one with silver stripe!
Thanks guys!
Yes, if you look at the first post in this thread it says "White (with silver paint)", NOT with "stripe":

"WHITE (with silver paint) wire on connector P1"

Glad you realized your mistake and didn't give up!
Old 08-02-08, 10:53 AM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Well I guess I didn't read the instructions carefully enough I thought the white wire (with silver paint) was the one with silver stripe lol.. Glad no serious damage was done on my nav..
Old 08-02-08, 01:40 PM
Zender
Rookie

Originally Posted by Technique
No, you must do the full nav hack to watch DVDs while the car is in motion.
So you can't JUST do the red wire cut and ground? I wanted to get just the DVD in motion working and don't really car about the rest. Couple threads say just the red wire is fine but a couple say you need to do the rest as well.

Confused
Old 08-02-08, 01:48 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zender
So you can't JUST do the red wire cut and ground? I wanted to get just the DVD in motion working and don't really car about the rest. Couple threads say just the red wire is fine but a couple say you need to do the rest as well.

Confused
Don't be confused. I am correct, any other people/threads are wrong.

Seriously, there are TWO checks the system does before allowing play:

1) Is the car stopped? If yes, PLAY. This is the pink/white wire hack.
2) Is the parking brake engaged? If yes, PLAY. This is the red wire hack.

BOTH must happen for DVD video playback to occur.

CAVEAT for Vaistech sl2vi:
Maybe for the Vaistech sl2vi you only need the red parking wire, but I don't know? The only time I did a sl2vi (last weekend) we did the full hack. But for DVD videos on the stock system, you need to do both wire cuts described above.
Old 08-09-08, 09:21 AM
peet_2008
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 Lexus IS250 Nav Hack problems

Hi I'm new to the club, but have done tons of reading and info searching on clublexus. I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have a 2008 IS250 and just installed the vaistech ipod adapter with video. I followed Technique's instructions on the hack with a switch exactly. Two things that I am having problems with are: voice guidance from the navigation no longer works (is this a normal side effect?) and when I flick the switch to break the circuit from the pink and (white w/gray) wires I am never able to input address while driving. However I do notice that the dvd playback, phone # input, and file/folder browsing does stop allowing access. Untill I flick the switch back to connect the circuit from the pink and (white w/gray) wires then, the dvd playback, phone # input, and file/folder browsing is allowed again while in motion. Not sure whats wrong. Also tried disconnecting the switch so that the Pink and (white w/gray) wires are not connected and still no input of address is available when in motion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-10-08, 01:06 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peet_2008
Hi I'm new to the club, but have done tons of reading and info searching on clublexus. I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have a 2008 IS250 and just installed the vaistech ipod adapter with video. I followed Technique's instructions on the hack with a switch exactly. Two things that I am having problems with are: voice guidance from the navigation no longer works (is this a normal side effect?) and when I flick the switch to break the circuit from the pink and (white w/gray) wires I am never able to input address while driving. However I do notice that the dvd playback, phone # input, and file/folder browsing does stop allowing access. Untill I flick the switch back to connect the circuit from the pink and (white w/gray) wires then, the dvd playback, phone # input, and file/folder browsing is allowed again while in motion. Not sure whats wrong. Also tried disconnecting the switch so that the Pink and (white w/gray) wires are not connected and still no input of address is available when in motion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sounds like you cut the wrong wires or didn't connect them properly... Double/Triple/Quadruple check all of your cuts/connections again... Read the post above as well as the first post in this thread and make sure you got the right "white" wire and the right connectors...
Old 08-16-08, 03:24 PM
AKIS350
Driver

READ THIS!!!
I dont know if anyone has posted this up yet.
I just finsihed rewiring my navi.
There is 2 pink wires.
Cut the lite pink wire NOT the dark pink.
Old 08-17-08, 03:43 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

I dont know if this was posted already but i was too lazy to read 43 pages.

U can always do the "temporary bypass" if you dont want to cut wires.

Not sure about years, but this was done on 06 IS350.

Go to "MENU" then enter the "VOLUME" section.

tap upper left corner, lower left corner, upper left corner, lower left corner"

a MAINTENANCE Screen will come up.

then press OVERRIDE.
then go back.

voila.. navie usage while driving.

untested on ML but i think it works.

its a 5 second procedure. doenst take cutting wires if ur scared u will mess up.

otherwise, i would recommend the wire cutting for long term effectiveness.
Old 08-17-08, 06:59 PM
loroko
Rookie

how long time override last and any secondary effect ??????
Old 08-17-08, 07:40 PM
loroko
Rookie

well i have an IS 250 08 the override thing works in this model and year???

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving