IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 03:29 PM
jazba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did the nav hack/dvd hack. Worked like a charm! only thing that seemed different was that instead of grounding the red wire for the dvd player, i had to ground a pink wire... i have no red wire? lol.

I also added a switch so i can enter in destinations while i drive. i just have to calibrate my navi a little besides that its awesome!
Old 08-23-08, 05:37 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jazba
just did the nav hack/dvd hack. Worked like a charm! only thing that seemed different was that instead of grounding the red wire for the dvd player, i had to ground a pink wire... i have no red wire? lol.

I also added a switch so i can enter in destinations while i drive. i just have to calibrate my navi a little besides that its awesome!
Congratulations! Told you it was easy
Old 08-24-08, 12:45 PM
AKIS350
Driver

Just finished fiing up my mistakes..
Works pretty good right now, no defects..
Old 08-24-08, 02:38 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AKIS350
Just finished fiing up my mistakes..
Works pretty good right now, no defects..
Excellent!! Congrats
Old 08-24-08, 06:31 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to make sure, will this (1st post) work on a 2008 IS350?
thanks.
BTW great DIY
Old 08-24-08, 08:24 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juice14
Just to make sure, will this (1st post) work on a 2008 IS350?
thanks.
BTW great DIY
Yes, it will work on all 2nd gen IS...
Old 08-24-08, 11:02 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yeah. I cant tell u how much i hate that thing.

Originally Posted by Technique
Yes, it will work on all 2nd gen IS...
Old 09-19-08, 12:59 AM
Thangipoo
Driver School Candidate

has anyone try to do this on a NONE ML system, and try to play DVD's? (movies) how do you figure that it wont work? I dont get wants the different? Thanx
Old 09-19-08, 10:13 AM
scruffydog
Rookie

HELP!!! (To people who have already done the Nav Hack)

so I did the Nav hack along with the DVD/video MP3 folder usage while in motion. I put a switch between the VSS signal and the actual Nav unit (not display) and I got the Nav entry while in motion going, but once you drive over 50 mph or so.....for maybe less than 1 min, the system locks you out again. I can flip the Switch and feed the system VSS signal again for 5 second or more then disconnect the VSS signal again, then it'll let you access the Address Entry again. But it's a freaking hassle. Anyone find a way to totally bypass this Nav issue?

FYI: I have absolutely no problem with the Bluetooth/MP3 folder/DVD channel because once you disconnect the VSS signal to the Display, it unlocks these features. As oppose to the Nav unit, I believe even though it doesn't get the speed signal from the VSS wire, it uses the actual Satellite signal to Pin point your location and can detect your cars in motion, that's why it can still lock up your POI input. Sigh....HELP?!? Suggestion? It seems like the only way is a software bypass.

In case anyone needs to know, I did my mod on a IS250 Nav Non-ML, with the VAIS SL2Vi kit
Old 09-19-08, 10:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juice14
Hell yeah. I cant tell u how much i hate that thing.
Me, you and nearly everyone else

Originally Posted by Thangipoo
has anyone try to do this on a NONE ML system, and try to play DVD's? (movies) how do you figure that it wont work? I dont get wants the different? Thanx
No offense, but I don't understand your question(s). Can you please rephrase?

Originally Posted by scruffydog
HELP!!! (To people who have already done the Nav Hack)

so I did the Nav hack along with the DVD/video MP3 folder usage while in motion. I put a switch between the VSS signal and the actual Nav unit (not display) and I got the Nav entry while in motion going, but once you drive over 50 mph or so.....for maybe less than 1 min, the system locks you out again. I can flip the Switch and feed the system VSS signal again for 5 second or more then disconnect the VSS signal again, then it'll let you access the Address Entry again. But it's a freaking hassle. Anyone find a way to totally bypass this Nav issue?

FYI: I have absolutely no problem with the Bluetooth/MP3 folder/DVD channel because once you disconnect the VSS signal to the Display, it unlocks these features. As oppose to the Nav unit, I believe even though it doesn't get the speed signal from the VSS wire, it uses the actual Satellite signal to Pin point your location and can detect your cars in motion, that's why it can still lock up your POI input. Sigh....HELP?!? Suggestion? It seems like the only way is a software bypass.

In case anyone needs to know, I did my mod on a IS250 Nav Non-ML, with the VAIS SL2Vi kit
You got it 100% correct my friend. Congratulations.

Unfortunately, what that means is the answer to your question(s) is "No". The only way to TOTALLY bypass it is to use the older firmware from the 2006 DVD disc via the softare override. I do that, or I just flip the switch on/off like you do at highway speeds.

As you correctly guessed, the reason this happens is because the GPS knows the car is moving via satellite even though the speed wire is disconnected. It updates every mile or so which is why it happens faster at highway speeds...
Old 09-19-08, 11:06 AM
Thangipoo
Driver School Candidate

Well I was asking if anyone ever try to bypass the Nav to play DVD's withOUT an ML system in your IS350/250? I just dont know why you need an ML system for the DVD's (movies) to work? because I have an IS350 without the ML and I want to watch movies while driving but poeple on here says that it wouldn't work... HAS anyone TRY it on an IS withOUT ML system?
Old 09-19-08, 11:14 AM
andyboy
Lead Lap

Well I was asking if anyone ever try to bypass the Nav to play DVD's withOUT an ML system in your IS350/250? I just dont know why you need an ML system for the DVD's (movies) to work? because I have an IS350 without the ML and I want to watch movies while driving but poeple on here says that it wouldn't work... HAS anyone TRY it on an IS withOUT ML system?
It won't work b/c the Non-ML units DO NOT have a DVD player. Different hardware in between both units. Only ML units can play DVD's, weather or not you do the Nav hack.
Old 09-19-08, 12:06 PM
Thangipoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andyboy
It won't work b/c the Non-ML units DO NOT have a DVD player. Different hardware in between both units. Only ML units can play DVD's, weather or not you do the Nav hack.

OOOoo OK I see, thanx. DO you know if the Lexus Dealership can swicth it? Like if i wanted to go in a BUY the ML system? just wondering!!!
Old 09-19-08, 01:23 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

OOOoo OK I see, thanx. DO you know if the Lexus Dealership can swicth it? Like if i wanted to go in a BUY the ML system? just wondering!!!
I believe that while it can be done, the cost would be TOO great, you would be better off selling your car, and buying another IS350 with ML.

MAYBE if you can find a used ML headunit for cheap, and do MANY wiring changes yourself, it would be affordable, but it's VERY complex. Do a search, I think at least one person attempted it. Honestly, you're better off just getting a video IPOD VAIS or something if you want video in the car. Or hook up a PS2 somehow...

There is a reason that ML is the #1 option people regret not getting with their car...
Old 09-19-08, 02:19 PM
scruffydog
Rookie

Originally Posted by Technique
Me, you and nearly everyone else

No offense, but I don't understand your question(s). Can you please rephrase?

You got it 100% correct my friend. Congratulations.

Unfortunately, what that means is the answer to your question(s) is "No". The only way to TOTALLY bypass it is to use the older firmware from the 2006 DVD disc via the softare override. I do that, or I just flip the switch on/off like you do at highway speeds.

As you correctly guessed, the reason this happens is because the GPS knows the car is moving via satellite even though the speed wire is disconnected. It updates every mile or so which is why it happens faster at highway speeds...
Thank you so much for you input Technique, I do have another question...lately i've been hearing people talking about this Nav hack for IS350 Nav w/ML on ebay. It's suppose to be a complete hack for the Mp3 foler, bluetooth, Nav, etc. I keep hearing people say that the hack for the Nav 100% works, so my question is how is that car's Nav unit any different? Shouldn't the Nav unit still lock you out at high speed? (Btw, this kit i'm talking about has a switch that toggles between Nav and TV)...i wish I have the link so you know what I'm talkin about.
Either way, I guess my only question is does this kit REALLY does the Nav trick? or people still runs into this kinda issue where you need to toggle between Nav and TV once you get locked out?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving