IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08 | 02:57 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scruffydog
Thank you so much for you input Technique, I do have another question...lately i've been hearing people talking about this Nav hack for IS350 Nav w/ML on ebay. It's suppose to be a complete hack for the Mp3 foler, bluetooth, Nav, etc. I keep hearing people say that the hack for the Nav 100% works, so my question is how is that car's Nav unit any different? Shouldn't the Nav unit still lock you out at high speed? (Btw, this kit i'm talking about has a switch that toggles between Nav and TV)...i wish I have the link so you know what I'm talkin about.
Either way, I guess my only question is does this kit REALLY does the Nav trick? or people still runs into this kinda issue where you need to toggle between Nav and TV once you get locked out?
I don't think it's any different, just a harness that makes the same wire cuts/joins... So I'd assume you would have to toggle to enter destinations... There is no way to get around it other than software bypass (e.g. - override), and that can't be done through a kit because the firmware is proprietary software, so unless someone can read the Denso machine code (which I know nobody except Denso firmware engineers can do this) it's not going to happen... So, it's not going to happen
Old 09-19-08 | 07:16 PM
scruffydog
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I don't think it's any different, just a harness that makes the same wire cuts/joins... So I'd assume you would have to toggle to enter destinations... There is no way to get around it other than software bypass (e.g. - override), and that can't be done through a kit because the firmware is proprietary software, so unless someone can read the Denso machine code (which I know nobody except Denso firmware engineers can do this) it's not going to happen... So, it's not going to happen
Good! OMG You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear this...for a sec i thought i'm all alone in this. Thanks again Technique. I'm sure in the upcoming future if someone can somehow break into the Nav Hardware and actually physicall bypass the NAV signal into the NAV unit...e.g. by doing some crazy Chipset bypass kinda thing like what people do w/Playstations and Xboxes; that could potentially work...unitl that day.....

lolz, like that's even worth the trouble or worth risking messing up a Nav unit.
Old 09-26-08 | 03:37 PM
chieplai
Driver School Candidate

any member residing in Colorado that knows how to perform the hack & switch? willing to pay very reasonable fee to get this done.
Old 09-26-08 | 04:56 PM
Kuki_350
Rookie

i just did the hack (cutting wire, no switch) today. It took me and my friend around an hour to finish, but we're being careful to make sure the all spliced wires are tight (using splices and ring terminal).
It a little scary at first but now i think i am more confident after done it once.
Old 09-27-08 | 06:12 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Scruffydog: Everything you have said is already known and already discussed in this thread and others. Look at the VERY first post in this thread. It does NOT say this hack enables destination while moving. Look at post #25, it clearly says that this hack does NOT enable destination while moving.

As far as the switch, you are confusing 2 different hacks... There is a separate DIY thread for the SWITCH hack which clearly discusses everything you talked about:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254545

Next time do a search, and if you have trouble finding what you are looking for, just ask, and one of us will gladly help you out...

Last edited by Technique; 09-27-08 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-09-08 | 05:03 PM
ennjay
Rookie

For those who have Nav without ML and have installed the SL2vi (ipod video), is it required to ground the red parking brake? or can I leave this intact to play videos off the ipod?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-08 | 01:18 AM
tommigsr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ennjay
For those who have Nav without ML and have installed the SL2vi (ipod video), is it required to ground the red parking brake? or can I leave this intact to play videos off the ipod?

Thanks!
you don't need it if the e-brake is engaged. if you're driving, than yes, it needs to be grounded
Old 11-02-08 | 04:19 PM
bigboi23
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Problem with Overide Address and E-Brake

Hi everyone,

I am a new Lexus owner as well as new to this site and dont know much at all about cars so thank you all for all the posts, it has helped me a lot.

First of all I have a IS350 with ML and I wanted to fix it so I can watch DVD and use Navi while driving. A couple problems I've had is before I knew of the website I had someone ground my ebrake, the ebrake which you step on. I thought this would make the dvd work but it would not play once the speed increased. Also the brake light is on and the emergency brake light is flashing while driving. So after reading the post I had my mechanic go inside the display unit and cut the pink and white wires, cap them and connect the other ends together. He did not ground the ebrake in the display unit. DVD and bluetooth work now while driving but the ebrake light is still flashing.

If he grounds the ebrake wire that is attached to the display unit, will that take away the flashing ebrake sign?

Also I tried the overide address: touch top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left. But no override button appears and I still cannot enter any destination while moving. I went into menu and then in volume. Am I doing something wrong?

Please Help. Thank you
Old 11-02-08 | 05:08 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigboi23
Hi everyone,

I am a new Lexus owner as well as new to this site and dont know much at all about cars so thank you all for all the posts, it has helped me a lot.

First of all I have a IS350 with ML and I wanted to fix it so I can watch DVD and use Navi while driving. A couple problems I've had is before I knew of the website I had someone ground my ebrake, the ebrake which you step on. I thought this would make the dvd work but it would not play once the speed increased. Also the brake light is on and the emergency brake light is flashing while driving. So after reading the post I had my mechanic go inside the display unit and cut the pink and white wires, cap them and connect the other ends together. He did not ground the ebrake in the display unit. DVD and bluetooth work now while driving but the ebrake light is still flashing.

If he grounds the ebrake wire that is attached to the display unit, will that take away the flashing ebrake sign?

Also I tried the overide address: touch top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left. But no override button appears and I still cannot enter any destination while moving. I went into menu and then in volume. Am I doing something wrong?

Please Help. Thank you
All the answers are already in this thread, search the thread...

But, I'll answer your questions anyway

1) ebrake - sounds like you grounded the wrong end... You grounded the wire coming from the car (wireloom side)... You need to unground that wire, just leave it cut, not connected to anything... You need to ground the wire that is coming from the display unit.

2) Only the 2006 DVD nav disc has the override button function
Old 11-02-08 | 05:31 PM
bigboi23
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem with Overide Address and E-Brake

Thanks a lot. I will do that and hopefully it will work everything out. I bought my car used, so is there a way to find out if I have the 2006 Navi Cd?
Old 11-06-08 | 08:06 AM
kmarr
Driver School Candidate

Default Tried doing the hack this morning...

I tried working on the DVD hack this morning before I went into work. I couldn't even get passed step one. I have an '06 IS250 with a manual transmission. Does it take excessive force to take the silver trim off the sides or what? Anyone here with a manual have success taking these pieces off easily?
Old 11-06-08 | 11:26 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigboi23
Thanks a lot. I will do that and hopefully it will work everything out. I bought my car used, so is there a way to find out if I have the 2006 Navi Cd?
You can check the map data version. 5.1 is the 2006 DVD. I believe it's in the info or options screen somewhere... Click around and you'll find it..

Originally Posted by kmarr
I tried working on the DVD hack this morning before I went into work. I couldn't even get passed step one. I have an '06 IS250 with a manual transmission. Does it take excessive force to take the silver trim off the sides or what? Anyone here with a manual have success taking these pieces off easily?
Doesn't take much force at all... Just slide a couple of credit cards inbetween the trim and it should pop right off... Don't be scared
Old 11-08-08 | 05:37 PM
one wolf
Driver School Candidate

Another satisfied customer! Took me 1.5 hrs, I was real slow though and spent a long time making sure the pink wire was the correct one.

I also installed a switch inside my center console where the 2nd cup holder is. I offset it toward the driver side so it doesn't interfere with a drink (not that I've every used that one for a drink).

Love it!
Old 12-18-08 | 12:36 AM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's been 3 years since I figured out the wiring to this hack! Today I picked up a '09 IS250, and gave my wife my '06.
I am really happy i had this forum to refer back to, so I could re-do the hack to my new car....needless to say, everything went well & my '09 now has a SLI unit, and a working NAV hack....straight from the dealer!

Last edited by muzzman1; 12-18-08 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-18-08 | 11:14 PM
David M
Driver

Okay, I've read all 46 pages of this thread. 3 people have asked if this mod works for LS430/460. Does anyone know? I have an 06 LS430 with Nav and ML. Apparently, the DVD player is bolted down in the trunk! Will any of this work for us LS owners?

Thanks,
David

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving