IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 05:08 PM
scorpius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Hack

Hey, I'm kinda a noob, but was reading throughout this forum and I was able to create a hybrid DVD of the 5.1/7.1. However, my 2008 is 250 will not read this disk. Has anyone run into this problem? I even unplugged the TV1 fuse for 5minutes and then when I put the hybrid DVD in; it comes up with a message saying "please consult to your local dealer" and also some Japanese characters. I was able to put the original 7.1 DVD back in and all is fine. If anyone could help me out i'd really appreciate it thanks
Old 05-19-09, 01:54 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I tried this nav hack and behind the radio there are 3 white wires with silver on it. I tried connecting each and everyone with the pink wire and the dvd player works while moving but I cant get the map to turn on, it says external component not connected. I even grounded the red wire for the ebrake. can anyone help me out? I got a 08 IsF with navi and ML. thanks
Old 05-19-09, 01:58 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
This is a great thread. I'd like to thank the thread starter but he seems to have moved on. The followup posts by others were helpful as well.

This procedure was problem free for me, not a scratch. As FIG mentioned, the complete vent assembly came out for me too, not just the bezel. Once the release tabs were "down," I was able to put a screwdriver into the hole behind the tab and pull back a corner of the vent which I grabbed with my fingers, and then lightly worked it back and forth until it was freed. In my case, it came out easily, no trouble at all.

My objective was to get the DVD-Video to play (ML) while moving, which it now does. NEAT!!!

Mine is the 2008 IS F....thanks to all who shared their experiences, especially the pioneers who worked this out several years ago on the IS*, and FIG for pointing out that his vent assy came out as a unit. It made it worthwhile to read the whole 47 pages of the thread, since good information was still being posted.
Hi, I got a 08 IsF also and tried doing this procedure, in the middle plug there are 3 white wires and i tried all 3 with the pink wire and it dont work, do you have a picture of your wiring? theres two white wires that are twisted together on the top row, and theres one underneath thats alone and has the silver on it, but none of them work, any help?
Old 05-20-09, 04:26 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Hi, I got a 08 IsF also and tried doing this procedure, in the middle plug there are 3 white wires and i tried all 3 with the pink wire and it dont work, do you have a picture of your wiring? theres two white wires that are twisted together on the top row, and theres one underneath thats alone and has the silver on it, but none of them work, any help?
Look at the first post of this thread, it clearly shows which wire to cut.
Old 05-22-09, 08:35 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
Look at the first post of this thread, it clearly shows which wire to cut.
It actually doesnt show clearly which wire to cut for the center plug. the pink is very obvious but once you disconnect the pink, the navi system don't work anymore.
Old 05-27-09, 01:35 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now, has this been successfully done for the 09 IS?
Old 05-28-09, 06:08 PM
daandman
Rookie

I took apart the console, but I chickened out when it came time to cut the wire.

Had a bit of trouble getting the vent back in though...

Old 06-05-09, 10:47 AM
Proper 350
Pole Position

thanks for the write up and all the feedback..another successful hacker...if you have any kinda experience in taking apart cars then this is a breeze..you know what to expect..
Old 06-07-09, 01:24 AM
pez13oigt
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, it worked like a charm. I did this to install my sl2vi ipod controller for my car, and at first i was hesitant, but it was actually quite simple. on the J1 i saw 2 white wires with silver stripes on it, one of them was by itself and the other one was twisted with a red wire with silver stripe. *ITS NOT THE WHITE WIRE TWISTED TO THE RED WIRE*. I hope that helps, it confused me too.

Also when grounding the e-brake, you ground the wire that is coming from the plug, not from the car. I just cute the covering of the wires far back enough to wrap the wire around to a bolt that was on the Head Unit, and my video play playback works perfectly.
Old 06-18-09, 09:22 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pez13oigt
Awesome, it worked like a charm. I did this to install my sl2vi ipod controller for my car, and at first i was hesitant, but it was actually quite simple. on the J1 i saw 2 white wires with silver stripes on it, one of them was by itself and the other one was twisted with a red wire with silver stripe. *ITS NOT THE WHITE WIRE TWISTED TO THE RED WIRE*. I hope that helps, it confused me too.

Also when grounding the e-brake, you ground the wire that is coming from the plug, not from the car. I just cute the covering of the wires far back enough to wrap the wire around to a bolt that was on the Head Unit, and my video play playback works perfectly.
I tried all 3 white wires and none of them worked. so which white wire is it exactly, im gonna try it again. so your dvd player works now while driving? thats my main objective. so I can put cartoon on for my daughter, shes 9 months old now and starting to become nosy and exploring the entire world now. lol
Old 06-18-09, 09:24 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Proper 350
thanks for the write up and all the feedback..another successful hacker...if you have any kinda experience in taking apart cars then this is a breeze..you know what to expect..
Hmm, taking apart the console is cake for me too, I just cant figure out the wiring cause the picts are not clear at all in the first post. Your dvd player works now while driving? thats my main objective, which white wire did you cut?
Old 06-18-09, 10:12 AM
LexHes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked into this a few times... really interested but one question..
Does it VOID the Warranty?? i've got 27k on it. 50k warranty. ANydbody??
Old 06-18-09, 02:24 PM
BiTeZ
Driver School Candidate

from what I understand there is no NAV hack for the 2008 and 2009 models. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to hear from someone that owns a 2009 that has made this work.
Old 06-18-09, 02:42 PM
is250stick
Driver School Candidate

BiTez, according to muzzman1, post #689 page 46, the original guy who figured this wiring nav hack has got it to work on his 09 IS250. I think you mean the software "enter destination" or "override" hack. that stopped working on the 2007, 2008, 2009 models. I came across lexusoverride to find out that bad news. I waiting for my NavTool tomorrow to get the video in motion override without cutting up wires. May try the hack if i can do it by extracting the pink and white/silver wire from the 2 connectors without cutting it. someone mentioned about a molex wire extractor but i'd have to mail order it and not sure if it's the right one.

another note: i've been trying to remove the vents, and the 4 clips are having difficulty clipping down, they just spring back up. I've already broke one clip and can no longer clip down. a 2nd clips seems jammed. anyone with a broken clip was able to still to pull the vents out?

Last edited by is250stick; 06-18-09 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added note. didn't want to put up another post
Old 07-12-09, 07:49 AM
branshaw
Driver School Candidate

Default override does not work

Originally Posted by tim817
This mod won't let u access the destination menu.. for that there's a way to override without cutting anything. I borrow this from another thread:

Press Menu
Press Volume
Press the Top Left Corner
Press the Bottom Left Corner (there is nothing there)
Press the Top Left Corner
Press the Bottom Left Corner

A new menu screen will come up

Press and hold Override for 5 seconds or until you hear a beep

You will need to do this again after turn off the engine the next time u need to override again.
I tried this override several times, both stopped and in motion, and I never got a "new" menu screen to pop-up. I've got a 2006, IS 350 with a verions 8 update. Any ideas?

Also, I'm in San Diego and really want to do the hack...but would prefer someone that has done it looking over my shoulder while I'm hacking...let me know if anyone would be willing to oversee my hack project.
Thanks,

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving