IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 02:27 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn nice DIY, but just don't have gut to cut wires.
Old 07-14-09, 07:35 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideal! I was just saying yesterday that I needed to find a way to hack the Nav and phone to work when moving.

I'll update results, thanks for the share!
Old 07-28-09, 03:18 PM
autofreak
Pole Position

does anyone know where i can buy the front vent portion for the vents, i broke it installing this mod =(
Old 07-29-09, 12:28 PM
bobusa
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...17&catalogid=2
Old 08-30-09, 11:47 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bobusa
Originally Posted by autofreak
does anyone know where i can buy the front vent portion for the vents, i broke it installing this mod =(
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...17&catalogid=2
damn, it's $170 to replace that? Or am I looking at something wrong. First time I got in there for the sl2vi install, I broke one of the "vent blade" 's small tab that attaches to the right (what's controlled so that it can go up and down). but I used crazy glue and got it fixed. I was so happy.. I was worried I'd have to replace the vents again too.

I'm about to get in there today to do both of the nav hacks because the first time, the wiring scared me so I just stopped at the SL2Vi install. I'm going through the thread now to find a summary of all the information... hope I don't damage the vents

Last edited by Shahryar; 08-30-09 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-30-09, 12:54 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
I tried this nav hack and behind the radio there are 3 white wires with silver on it. I tried connecting each and everyone with the pink wire and the dvd player works while moving but I cant get the map to turn on, it says external component not connected. I even grounded the red wire for the ebrake. can anyone help me out? I got a 08 IsF with navi and ML. thanks
Not sure if you solved this et... and I Haven't gotten in there yet (reviewing the Navi hack threads now) but would this post from the Navigation Hack Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch DIY thread help?

Originally Posted by phntsm
Hey guys, two things:

1) For those of you who might be a little confused when doing the NAVI hack like me, even with the 300 posts and the high-res pictures, I have the following helpful hints for you:
a) The vent tabs should be pushed DOWN and will stay down.
b) The pink wire (J50 bundle) coming from the car should be connected to the white/silver cable (bundle UNDER J50 going to J1)
c) E-tape, cap the cut ends (pink, J50 and white/silver, J1)

2) I have a lighted SPST switch connected to the pink and white/silver wires. What do I need to make the light go on (relay, a different switch)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-30-09, 01:13 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody have any experience with the Prestigious Society module? I am kinda leery about cutting wires resulting in jumpy nav, video playback etc..

I've read some good things about this device since it is plug n play with no cutting required.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/le...-override.html

Are there any other products out there besides this particular one? It's pretty expensive at over $300 shipped. I wonder if there are any other alternatives.
Old 08-30-09, 01:15 PM
intekmdma
Driver

50 pages is a bit for me to browse through, but dumb question: how do you know if you have ML?
Old 08-30-09, 03:09 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

^ ROFL! hahahaha
Old 08-31-09, 04:19 AM
3KGTVR4
Driver School Candidate

Have anyone Hacked the Nav for 2009 Is250 ?
Is there any diffrent in hacking them ?
Old 09-11-09, 10:45 PM
Soarer_TT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3KGTVR4
Have anyone Hacked the Nav for 2009 Is250 ?
Is there any diffrent in hacking them ?
Judging from the photos, the wiring appears to have changed slightly in the 2009 model (I cannot veriify, as I don't have a diagram for the '09 yet), but I can claim that the mod does not work on an '09 from my testing. The pink wire looks to be in a completely different location on the plug (much further from the LHS of the car). The Nav goes jumpy, and controls are still locked out during driving, so I think the VSS wire is different on the 2009.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the '09 Nav yet? If I can have a look, I should be able to work out the new version of the hack fairly easily.
Old 09-13-09, 02:00 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I will type this is red because I dont want people to miss this. I read through 8 pages and lost patientce.....this should work on all models, you may have to find the new wire by looking at the schematic. One huge thing missing from this on Page 1 is the addition of a switch between the pink VSS wire to the white / grey VSS signal to nav. Switch enables to disrupt the signal to input nav directions. If you did this without the switch and you got it to work it means you screwed up somewhere and have lost turn by turn guidance and smooth scrolling. I have a DIY for this in the 3gs forum and it is a similar concept, go there and read the first few posts and you will understand why you need a switch

Last edited by Technique; 09-14-09 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Obnoxious font/color
Old 09-13-09, 06:01 PM
Soarer_TT
Driver School Candidate

I entirely agree, but what us 2009 IS250 owners really need is access to the new schematics so we can figure out where the VSS wire has moved to. Is anyone able to help yet?

My attempt with the pink wire just led to jumpy nav and inaccessible controls whilst in motion, hence the wrong wiring being used.
Old 09-14-09, 06:50 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I will type this is red because I dont want people to miss this. I read through 8 pages and lost patientce.....this should work on all models, you may have to find the new wire by looking at the schematic. One huge thing missing from this on Page 1 is the addition of a switch between the pink VSS wire to the white / grey VSS signal to nav. Switch enables to disrupt the signal to input nav directions. If you did this without the switch and you got it to work it means you screwed up somewhere and have lost turn by turn guidance and smooth scrolling. I have a DIY for this in the 3gs forum and it is a similar concept, go there and read the first few posts and you will understand why you need a switch
If you read the topic, or even the first post, you will see that this hack does NOT enable destination entry while moving. The IS and GS are different nav hacks...

The switch hack you are referring to is already well documented and is a SEPARATE nav hack, and can be found here for the IS:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...witch-diy.html
Old 09-14-09, 08:04 AM
kbkura
Driver

Originally Posted by intekmdma
50 pages is a bit for me to browse through, but dumb question: how do you know if you have ML?
Your not being serious are you? Well, if you are, it has the ML symbol on your console beneath our CD player.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving