IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 06:51 PM
kbkura
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, this is almost embarrassing, but I'm having difficulty taking out the A/C vent and the side trim pieces around the center console.

First the A/C vent: I'm unable to get the clips down. I stick a screwdriver into the gap and gently pry it down, but the clip never "clicks down." It just keeps bending until I'm deathly scared it's just gonna snap. After that, where do I pry it from... top, bottom, or the sides?

Second the side-trim: I tried using a screwdriver to pry up on the side trims (by sticking the screwdriver into the gap from the seat-side (not center-side) and twisting so that it pulls the trim up. Unfortunately, I learned my lesson quickly because it left a little nick in the silver plastic (it nicks very easily!). I tried prying it with my fingers, a plastic spoon, etc. but nothing quite worked. How hard do you have to pry? And how many clips are there and where are they?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I'm super worried about messing up the trim and plastic and stuff... thanks for any and all help!
Old 09-20-09, 07:19 AM
magrinds
Driver School Candidate

Default This hack can be done without cutting wires...

I did this phone book, etc hack without cutting wires. Instead of cutting the two wires and shorting them together, you can get the female wire connector out of the plastic housing on both connectors... then you can just short them. It works great. And - they can be put back together. See the photos.

Just push a small dental pick in between the plastic housing and the wire connector - there is a little (very little) clip that needs to be released. Then wiggle until it comes out. It isn't easy if you haven't worked with this type of connector before...

Not responsible if you break something, your mileage may vary, etc...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
'08 350 IS (GFM)
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving-img_1318lr.jpg   Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving-img_1322lr.jpg  
Old 09-20-09, 08:41 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kbkura
Hey Guys, this is almost embarrassing, but I'm having difficulty taking out the A/C vent and the side trim pieces around the center console.

First the A/C vent: I'm unable to get the clips down. I stick a screwdriver into the gap and gently pry it down, but the clip never "clicks down." It just keeps bending until I'm deathly scared it's just gonna snap. After that, where do I pry it from... top, bottom, or the sides?

Second the side-trim: I tried using a screwdriver to pry up on the side trims (by sticking the screwdriver into the gap from the seat-side (not center-side) and twisting so that it pulls the trim up. Unfortunately, I learned my lesson quickly because it left a little nick in the silver plastic (it nicks very easily!). I tried prying it with my fingers, a plastic spoon, etc. but nothing quite worked. How hard do you have to pry? And how many clips are there and where are they?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I'm super worried about messing up the trim and plastic and stuff... thanks for any and all help!
For the plastic trim, take two credit cards together and just slide it in between, the trim will come right off...

For the A/C vents, they are a nightmare... Sometimes, the clips will NOT snap down, they just bend... If this happens, you are going to have a hard time, but at least some of them should snap down, so keep trying... if they break, it's not a big deal... The A/C vents are in there so tight anyway that you almost don't need any of the clips... So if 3 of 4 break, you are still fine...

Originally Posted by magrinds
I did this phone book, etc hack without cutting wires. Instead of cutting the two wires and shorting them together, you can get the female wire connector out of the plastic housing on both connectors... then you can just short them. It works great. And - they can be put back together. See the photos.

Just push a small dental pick in between the plastic housing and the wire connector - there is a little (very little) clip that needs to be released. Then wiggle until it comes out. It isn't easy if you haven't worked with this type of connector before...

Not responsible if you break something, your mileage may vary, etc...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
'08 350 IS (GFM)
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure you will have the jumpy nav if you do it that way... Can you confirm that you have destination entry while moving?
Old 09-20-09, 09:15 AM
kbkura
Driver

Thanks Technique! I'm gonna try it out today to see if I have any better luck.
Old 09-20-09, 12:02 PM
kbkura
Driver

Ok, I'll be honest... I'm still having difficulty. The freaking credit cards are bending and warping. They definitely aren't just coming right off even after I got both credit cards in the gap. I tried using a screwdriver (w/ napkins to cover the tip) along with the credit cards and it's just too ridiculously tight. Is it the same for manual transmissions? I ask this because I noticed when I pull up / back on the trim, the center console piece also moves up. It seems they might be interlocked very tightly?
Old 09-20-09, 06:17 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I'll be honest... I'm still having difficulty. The freaking credit cards are bending and warping. They definitely aren't just coming right off even after I got both credit cards in the gap. I tried using a screwdriver (w/ napkins to cover the tip) along with the credit cards and it's just too ridiculously tight. Is it the same for manual transmissions? I ask this because I noticed when I pull up / back on the trim, the center console piece also moves up. It seems they might be interlocked very tightly?
I just put two credit cards in and slid them up the trim and the trim came right off...
Old 09-20-09, 06:41 PM
autofreak
Pole Position

Hey bro just grab the very tip of the trim peice closest to you, and pop the silver plastic up just a little then pull the lifted piece towards you and they should easily slide out. As for the vents, god bless, because i went through a whole vent system just for this mod lol
Old 09-20-09, 08:19 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread needs a very detailed video in youtube.
Old 09-21-09, 07:06 AM
kbkura
Driver

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
This thread needs a very detailed video in youtube.
I second that... thanks guys for all the info, but I'm still not having a ton of luck. Anyway, my car is at the dealer for the next two or three days, but I'll try again after I get it back and post back with any updates/failures/successes.
Old 09-22-09, 09:01 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by autofreak
Hey bro just grab the very tip of the trim peice closest to you, and pop the silver plastic up just a little then pull the lifted piece towards you and they should easily slide out. As for the vents, god bless, because i went through a whole vent system just for this mod lol
I have two casualties from getting into my 2008 IS 350's insides to do this hack - twice actually (first time was just SL2Vi install, second time was the actual navi hack w/ switch installation). 1) bit of a gap around my Navi system. 2) one of my AC blades is broken due to the little tiny tab that holds it into the sides. So now I can't move it up and down from the side roller thing - I have to manually adjust. Fortunately it's on the passenger side so it's not too big a deal since nobody really moves the vent.

You can see pictures of the casualties in the facebook album I made for this install: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=8123ebceec

A thank you again to Technique and the members of this thread who helped
Old 09-26-09, 09:06 AM
magrinds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Technique
For the plastic trim, take two credit cards together and just slide it in between, the trim will come right off...

For the A/C vents, they are a nightmare... Sometimes, the clips will NOT snap down, they just bend... If this happens, you are going to have a hard time, but at least some of them should snap down, so keep trying... if they break, it's not a big deal... The A/C vents are in there so tight anyway that you almost don't need any of the clips... So if 3 of 4 break, you are still fine...

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure you will have the jumpy nav if you do it that way... Can you confirm that you have destination entry while moving?
Using the "no wire cutting method" I do NOT have destination entry while moving. I do have folders/files and phonebook. I have not done the DVD hack, but I think it could be done the same way.

The destination entry hack is a little trickier - but you MIGHT be able to do it by removing the wire from the housing - then inserting a new wire into the housing (with a little creativity you might be able to make a multistranded wire that is just the right gauge stay in and make good contact)... and then put the switch between the two. Certainly - for the destination hack - this method is trickier.

The upside is that if you ever have something go wrong with the system - you can put it all back together.
Old 10-03-09, 05:42 PM
kbkura
Driver

Hey guys, thanks for all of your help. I've completed the install and included a review of the Spec.dock from 2point5, LLC on this thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...cs-inside.html). Check it out and let me know what you think!
Old 10-08-09, 09:23 AM
rukkus2IS
Lead Lap

Anyone who has the vais tech ipod intergration kit that plays video installed, are you able to watch video while the car is moving or is a navi hack is required to watch video while the car is moving?
Old 10-08-09, 09:37 AM
rukkus2IS
Lead Lap

Nevermind. Found the answer here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...led-today.html
Old 10-20-09, 11:25 AM
Looftie
Driver School Candidate

I completed the nav hack this weekend thanks to the instructions on page one of this thread.

If I could make a couple suggestions to the Original Poster of this thread:

1) It might be helpful to add that the red wire can be grounded from the J50 connector to the metal chassis of the navigation unit. I did some digging on here and then used an Ohm meter to verify that this is a good ground. Mentioning that might save others some time.

2) Maybe I am just a dumb ***, but this part seemed a little confusing:
“After cutting the Pink and White wires, you put a cap on the wires coming from the Navigation unit. You then connect the Pink (wireloom side) and White (wireloom side) wires together.”

The white wire with silver paint is not “wireloom side” on either end as far as I can tell. Unless ML cars or other year cars are different, both ends go back to the navigation unit to two different connectors (P1 and a connector below P1). That confused me. Had I looked more closely to your picture, I would have noticed that the white wire end that should connect to the wireloom pink wire is coming from the lower navigation connector. The P1 is capped as you said. I don’t know if what if this makes sense to anyone else or if I am just retarded. Probably the latter.

Regardless, thank you for a great writeup. My SL2Vi is working like a champ now, parked or driving.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving