IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 10:40 AM
Vin1971
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my ML DVD to work while driving...swwwweeeeeeeet!!! woot!! woot!!
Old 09-29-10, 06:35 PM
jerseyeff
Driver School Candidate

2008 IS-F with ML

OK, I'm a very competent hands-on engineer who is quite meticulous and i did this mod correctly--or so i thought.

The only difference is that i was able to remove the terminals from the molex plugs to avoid cutting wires so it could be returned to normal if needed.

I also installed the OEM Ipod integration kit at the same time.

PROBLEMS:

1. When testing the hazard switch, the flashers come on and will not go off. They may eventually go off after quickly mashing the button on and off then they do a quick flicker and go off. They will also go on after I get out, lock the doors and close the driver's door and stay on in a similar fashion.

2. The passenger and rear windows will not operate and the illumination lights on the window switches flash. ( i have read that they need to be re-programmed or something after a battery disconnect, so i will try and search more for that.)

I have been trying to pour through the many pages of this thread for answers, but my slow internet connection is making it a daunting task. If anyone can help me, please do.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-10, 07:23 PM
myGSsoWET
Driver

I wonder if this works on the 3GS. PLEASE somebody tell me it does
Old 09-29-10, 08:29 PM
jerseyeff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jerseyeff
2008 IS-F with ML

OK, I'm a very competent hands-on engineer who is quite meticulous and i did this mod correctly--or so i thought.

The only difference is that i was able to remove the terminals from the molex plugs to avoid cutting wires so it could be returned to normal if needed.

I also installed the OEM Ipod integration kit at the same time.

PROBLEMS:

1. When testing the hazard switch, the flashers come on and will not go off. They may eventually go off after quickly mashing the button on and off then they do a quick flicker and go off. They will also go on after I get out, lock the doors and close the driver's door and stay on in a similar fashion.

2. The passenger and rear windows will not operate and the illumination lights on the window switches flash. ( i have read that they need to be re-programmed or something after a battery disconnect, so i will try and search more for that.)

I have been trying to pour through the many pages of this thread for answers, but my slow internet connection is making it a daunting task. If anyone can help me, please do.

Thanks!

OK, i figured out my mistake: I plugged the ipod interface into the wrong socket! there is another of the same 12-pin type connector on the ps of the unit that i plugged into instead of the right one on the lower section of the unit - That's what i get for going it with no instructions!

The windows are fine - i found out the trick.

Now, the SAT still plays the ads over top of the ipod audio....any ideas?
Old 09-29-10, 11:05 PM
Dac Biet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myGSsoWET

+1 on that. I wanna try it on my GF's 3GS
Old 10-01-10, 12:43 AM
LexasRN
Driver School Candidate

Got my ML to play DVD's in motion. Followed it step by step from the first post. I just wish he would've mentioned that you need to ground the NAV side of the red wire on ML... instead of having to scroll through a couple pages before someone else mentioned it. Good luck to all
Old 10-01-10, 12:48 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

What did you do to ground the parking brake wire?
Old 10-27-10, 04:46 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DVD player is incorporated into the 6 disc charger correct? I'm wondering if the CD charge can be swapped out and then boom DVD, ability in a non-ML radio.
Old 11-23-10, 11:10 PM
rtorres
Driver School Candidate

Question Please Help!!!

Originally Posted by djbugz
Here we go.. another success story regarding the NAV HACK on my 07 IS350... I took some pics (taken from my IPHONE).. here you go enjoy..

Attachment 168667
The first part was taking the vents off.. not as hard as I thought.. unlock the top clips, then pulled on the left side.. next was slowly jiggling the right side

Attachment 168668
Here is the right side...

Attachment 168669
Here is the vent out.. I just left it on the dash as I worked on the NAV system.. it didn't get in the way and was easy to put back in

Attachment 168670
Here is grounding the NAV for the brake... This is for the DVD to work while moving.. l could have made it more factory, but still not bad...

Attachment 168671
I cut and spliced the wires near the wireloom.. this so if i ever need to make it look factory, i can re-splice and tape it back up, tuck it into the wireloom and you can't tell it was ever cut...

The whole process took me a little over ONE hour.. This was with removing everything VERY carefully.. Double checking/Triple checking the wires.. The instructions on page one were great..

MY suggestion: Move up passenger seat all the way to place NAV on it.. have a towel on chair to keep from getting scratches on it. Have all your tools, tape, wire.. next to you..

Everything is perfect.. DVD movies while driving (for the passenger), the NAV is still as smooth as before the hack, i can place phone calls while driving (I suggest using the speed dial though)...

Thanks for the hard work on figuring this out.. the pictures helped.. so this is my contribution... If anyone needs any help or info.. Let me know.. I'll do what I can to help out..

Thanks!!

Hi, can anyone help me answer this questions i have?
i this this on my navigation yesterday and i did everything i saw and read from this pictures, but i though it was working but wen i drove to work today and i tried the DVD to play while in motion still didn’t work, also now i see on my dash board CHECK ENGINE and also this little car like Racing, anyways.

Do you guys think this works for my car LEXUS ISF 2010?

Please any suggestions comments?
thank you i need help and I’m kind of sad because i also did some small scratches wen taking it apart and now don’t even work so i feel like it wasn’t worth it doing that..

Thanks so much
Old 11-24-10, 01:00 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Can a MOD plz warn rtorres about spamming? k thanks
Old 01-26-11, 08:19 PM
Supernin
Driver School Candidate

This is a cruel joke you guys all play on newbs. Admit it. Those vents don't really come out at all. After an hour or so I had to give up; the faceplate seems like it's gonna break right off but everyone says the whole thing has to come out, not just the faceplate. But there is nothing to grab onto to get the WHOLE thing out! I hate admitting defeat but I may have to. Unless someone has a picture of the actual removal in process I'm gonna just say this is a cruel joke and it can't actually be done.
Old 01-29-11, 05:12 PM
Rash
hmm

Originally Posted by myGSsoWET
Originally Posted by Dac Biet
+1 on that. I wanna try it on my GF's 3GS
I found this post, don't know if it works.

Originally Posted by knuckles
I know there were several requests for the GS hack. I believe this is it and it was out before the IS hack FWIW:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=24442&st=0
Old 01-30-11, 11:31 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

wooohoooo guess we are keeping this alive.

just did this mod and yep, it works thanks too whomever started this.
Old 01-30-11, 10:20 PM
ISSteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by Supernin
I hate admitting defeat but I may have to. Unless someone has a picture of the actual removal in process I'm gonna just say this is a cruel joke and it can't actually be done.
Try a long Allen wrench if you have one sitting around, or heck even a piece of wire-hanger with a hook bent into one end. Get it deep in there along one side, and pry it a touch. Then do the other side. Alternate sides bit by bit and it will come out.

PS--You *did* unlock the clips first before pulling on it right?!??
Old 01-31-11, 02:24 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

does anyone have any info on hacking the newer nav systems? i have a 2010 and it drives me nuts i cant control setting while driving... Thanks for your time peeps.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving