IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 09:01 AM
fattie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on the p1 connector

does anyone have a photo or diagram of the p1 connector? i might be color blind, but i have two white wires with silver paint on the m - one has a black stripe and one has a red stripe

i went through some 20 pages of this thread looking for answers and then gave up
Old 05-29-12, 07:19 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sajonf
I also determined on the way in to work this morning that my nav system is jumpy as described elsewhere in this thread but everything else is working (except the backup camera), so I think my connection of the pink/white wires is bad.

Does anyone know if this symptom and the backup camera not working could be related?...
I got everything working except for the backup camera. Is there a specific wire that I should look into for this, or did I forget to plug a connector back in? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by MpKSonic; 06-13-12 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-29-12, 08:26 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

When you want something done there is always a way... good write-up!
Old 06-13-12, 08:46 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MpKSonic
I got everything working except for the backup camera. Is there a specific wire that I possibly knocked loose that I should look into for this, or did I forget to plug a connector back in? Thanks for your help.
Someone? Anyone? I saw a wiring diagram of the ML units before, but can't seem to find it now. Even if I found it, it was like reading a foreign language. I think I remember the backup camera is associated with the blue wire on the J50 connector. Would I be able to find an answer to my problem from the Toyota TIS website?
Old 06-14-12, 10:48 PM
Krister
Driver School Candidate

I did this mid a few days ago and it works great.

I managed to mess up the white wire with silver dots. I connected the pink wire to the wrong side of the white wire. The pictures on the DIY are really confusing and I consider myself pretty experienced doing these mods. I think that's also one of the reasons why the thead is 61 pages and not everyone gets it right the first time..

I had to browse all 61 pages untill I found this pictures someone posted: (with this mod, you obviously just connect the pink and white, but if you want the switch to do destination entry while moving, then do the switch like on the picture)

I suggest a mod would add this picture to the first post, it really clears things up.

Also someone wrote this on this thread. I also agree on this:
The white wire with silver paint is not “wireloom side” on either end as far as I can tell. Unless ML cars or other year cars are different, both ends go back to the navigation unit to two different connectors (P1 and a connector below P1). That confused me. Had I looked more closely to your picture, I would have noticed that the white wire end that should connect to the wireloom pink wire is coming from the lower navigation connector.
Thanks for the OP for making the DIY.

Last edited by Krister; 06-15-12 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-21-12, 11:12 PM
JimboRice
Rookie

I did this mod a few days ago and I've been burning DVD's and none of them work. Is there a certain DVD burner I need to use? I've used burned CD's and they work fine and regular DVD's work fine too but for some reason when I try to burn a DVD with music video's on them it does not work in the lexus. Can anybody a help? Also I have a 2007 nav system.
Old 08-25-12, 09:16 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

well, just got done doing this mod. it was pretty easy. i put everything back together and go to check it out. while parked, i now have NO navigation at all. the climate, audio, info, etc... buttons on the left side work, but neither map, dest, or menu i think it is work on the right side. and if i press one all i have is a black screen with white lines...

please help. this is embarrassing, i'm a certified electrician, been cutting and splicing wires for years now so i know i have safely performed the wiring connections. i also have double checked to make sure i have the white wire from the lower connected, spliced to the pink wire coming from the wireloom. i capped both white and pink wires right at the nav unit electrical connectors just like the picture in the DIY post at the beginning of this thread.

has anyone ever experienced a random black screen white a bunch of white vertical lines after putting everything together and turning everything on???
Old 08-25-12, 09:35 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

here's a pic of what i'm talking about.

i can't believe this happened. i've been eyeing this mod for months and finally get around to devoting an afternoon to it and feel confident in doing it, it all goes perfectly smooth, and then put it all back together and turn it on... DOESN'T WORK. no map or destination or anything will even show at all.

maybe i should have disconnected the battery or something before doing anything? i thought about it but of course didn't. *****.
Old 08-25-12, 09:37 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

one last thing... i've put it all back together now back to ORIGINAL and it still is just giving me the white lines, no map, no destination, no menu... nothing. only the buttons on the left hand side work.

what do i do now? it's all back to normal and still doesn't work.
Old 08-26-12, 10:47 AM
Nikon
Lead Lap

if anybody can chime in i'd greatly appreciate it. this is all i'll be doing all day, trying to get this working again.

everything now is completely back to normal and this is all the screen will do if you try to use the map, destination, or menu screens. if anybody knows a reset procedure or anything please let me know. i'll be heading to the dealership with my tail between my legs tomorrow if nothing fixes this today.

and yes, this simple mod was performed EXACTLY as posted in the original post. i've double checked everything and am very familiar with wiring to know i followed the directions and safely capped and spliced my connection points. just bummed out now.
Old 09-07-12, 05:35 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey all,

just finished this mod. actually did the enter destinations while moving a while back but decided to hack the camera now. I used 3 SPDT relays and a Toggle switch from oznium. I dont care too much to see what is behind me but I did want the option to have a video and audio input to hook up my PS2 so I can watch some movies on my long drives. Install was a breeze and looks clean. My only issue is that I cant figure out where to mount my PS2.

can anyone offer ideas?

I tried the glove box as others have tried but it was too large to close (id like to leave all the wires hooked up so that I'm not playing around with that. I can put it in the trunk but I would need to get out of the car every time to turn it on and/or switch dvds. I currently have a power inverter hooked up for power but dont know where to mount that either. i may be able to put that in the glove box but I'm not crazy about the wires being near the cabin filter inlet and I wont drill my glovebox. also found that due to the cooled seats I cant mount it under the seats. As an installer I dont really get stumped much anymore especially on mounting things but I can say that this time I'm out of ideas.

I also dont live in a great area so I would like to be able to hide the install so you dont know its there.

By the by, the way I wired my setup is so that when the button is on, the cam is hacked but only will display what input I put on it. so if nothing is hooked up then there is only a black/blank screen. I have my diagram I made for relays and such as well as pics if anyone is interested. Also routed the audio into the aux and hid that too.

-Cheers
Old 09-08-12, 05:23 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nikon
if anybody can chime in i'd greatly appreciate it. this is all i'll be doing all day, trying to get this working again.

everything now is completely back to normal and this is all the screen will do if you try to use the map, destination, or menu screens. if anybody knows a reset procedure or anything please let me know. i'll be heading to the dealership with my tail between my legs tomorrow if nothing fixes this today.

and yes, this simple mod was performed EXACTLY as posted in the original post. i've double checked everything and am very familiar with wiring to know i followed the directions and safely capped and spliced my connection points. just bummed out now.

I'd pull the fuse for the NAV out for a min or two. Plug it back in and hope that the system reloads from the DVD.
Old 09-24-12, 08:06 PM
kopper12
Driver School Candidate

will any of this work on a screen without nab??
Old 11-22-12, 04:52 PM
sutekidane
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks! Just did this hack... Works as mentioned, but the dash wasn't really that forgiving, some parts of it chipped off while prying out the vents
Old 11-24-12, 12:22 PM
jjdurrant
Driver

Does this work on 2012?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving