IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 11:44 AM
gologic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of advice on vent removal

I finally took the time to do the nav/dvd hack. Just a note for those who are planning on doing this. I used a 90 degree pick to remove the vents and it worked like a dream. Place the pick in the vent and find a spot on the side to hook it. I was able to get one side started and then moved to the other side and the assembly came right out. No prying on the top or potential for dash damage. Thanks for the great directions and to those willing to take the time to make it easier for the rest of us.

Last edited by gologic; 01-31-06 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 11:46 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gologic
I finally took the time to do the nav/dvd hack. Just a note for those who are planning on doing this. I used a 90 degree pick to remove the vents and it worked like a dream. Place the pick in the vent and find a spot on the side to hook it. I was able to get one side started and then moved to the other side and the assembly came right out. No prying on the top or potential for dash damage. Thanks for the great directions and to those willing to take the time to make it easier for the rest of us.
That's what I did for mine as well. It works really good like that.
Old 02-01-06, 06:08 PM
jaygor22
Driver School Candidate

Default Parking Light

I did the nav modification, now my parking brake light will not turn off, Is there a way to turn this off. Ihave the ML and the dvd player is NOT working. PLease help
Old 02-01-06, 06:12 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gologic
90 degree pick, not familiar with that?

Last edited by kensteele; 02-01-06 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 09:11 PM
jaygor22
Driver School Candidate

Default Parking light

I have racked my brain all night, and the only thing I could think of is maybe I grounded the wrong side of the red wire. Which side gets grounded, the wire coming from inside the car, or the wire from the back of the harness that goes into the nav system?
Old 02-01-06, 11:35 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jaygor22
I have racked my brain all night, and the only thing I could think of is maybe I grounded the wrong side of the red wire. Which side gets grounded, the wire coming from inside the car, or the wire from the back of the harness that goes into the nav system?

Borrowed from Tonyscv:

4. It's IMPORTANT to note that if you plan on grounding the red wire - unlike the Vehicle Speed and Nav wires where you leave the monitor side of the wires capped/disconnected, on th E-brake (red) wire it is the wireloom side that gets capped while the monitor side gets grounded. Cut the wire close to the wireloom side so you'll have enough wire to run from the connector to the ground. I used one of the bolts(screws) on the side of the NAV unit itself and it worked fine. There's one bolt that's very close to the connector. Give yourself enough wire to work with and you'll be fine.

Hope this clears it up.
Old 02-02-06, 03:34 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like you grounded the wrong side of the red wire.
Old 02-02-06, 06:17 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
90 degree pick, not familiar with that?
I just used a small flathead screw driver to pry one side of the vent loose, then used my fingers and nails to gradually work around the perimeter of the vent. Once you get a handhold on the vent, it comes out pretty easily (the WHOLE thing comes out, not just the face plate).
Old 02-02-06, 06:44 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i just have one question.....how on earth did someone figure this out.....its a great hack..but i think it would be kinda interesting to hear how this hack came about...
Old 02-02-06, 08:20 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nehal51086
i just have one question.....how on earth did someone figure this out.....its a great hack..but i think it would be kinda interesting to hear how this hack came about...
If you ask me , Muzzman1 is the man
Old 02-02-06, 08:41 AM
terp05
Driver

I think the logic was:
1. The nav uses the vehicle's speed to lock out certain features.
2. It must get the speed through a wire.
3. Look at wiring diagram- find wire named SPD- snip and done.

as for the second part, that probably required a bit more ingenuity to discover the signal was passed externally so we could bypass the one part of the system.

still though, props to muzzman
Old 02-02-06, 09:00 AM
muzzman1
Driver

Originally Posted by terp05
I think the logic was:
1. The nav uses the vehicle's speed to lock out certain features.
2. It must get the speed through a wire.
3. Look at wiring diagram- find wire named SPD- snip and done.

as for the second part, that probably required a bit more ingenuity to discover the signal was passed externally so we could bypass the one part of the system.

still though, props to muzzman
I appreciate the props...
Yep Terp 1,2,3 are true, the 2nd part I saw the wire on the diagram but i wondered why it changed color...I thought maybe the signal was converted....eventually I wanted this hack so bad I figured I'd try it anyways and sure enough it worked...
Old 02-02-06, 01:18 PM
mizbugsy
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD for the GS300

Does this also Work for the 2006-Lexus-GS300? Please help! THANKS!!!
Old 02-02-06, 02:23 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I just have one question.

On other toyota/lexus system. The DVD can be played upfront by using the software hack (which allowed you to access the navigation).

After using the override software key hack. All you have to do is to slow the car enough then gently tab/hold the E-brake (just enough to have the parking brake light come on- but not engaging it), turn on the DVD video and let go of the E-brake handle. After this is done, you can play DVD in the front without any issues.

As far as i know this worked with 06 toyota double din navigation with RES (rear entertainment system). I think it should also work on the lexus systems. The override feature on the toyota/lexus navi should disable quiet a bit of stuff.

There really is no need to do any wiring mod.
Old 02-02-06, 03:17 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chiawei
I just have one question.

On other toyota/lexus system. The DVD can be played upfront by using the software hack (which allowed you to access the navigation).

After using the override software key hack. All you have to do is to slow the car enough then gently tab/hold the E-brake (just enough to have the parking brake light come on- but not engaging it), turn on the DVD video and let go of the E-brake handle. After this is done, you can play DVD in the front without any issues.

As far as i know this worked with 06 toyota double din navigation with RES (rear entertainment system). I think it should also work on the lexus systems. The override feature on the toyota/lexus navi should disable quiet a bit of stuff.

There really is no need to do any wiring mod.
less work to do the wiring mod than what you just described.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving