IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 03:41 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chiawei
All you have to do is to slow the car enough then gently tab/hold the E-brake (just enough to have the parking brake light come on- but not engaging it), turn on the DVD video and let go of the E-brake handle..
I don't like the idea of having my E-break lights on when driving. Never know if I even tab that E-break so much and who knows what's gonna happen
Old 02-02-06, 03:47 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, our E-Brake handle is actually a pedal. I'm not positive, but I think you have to push it all the way down for it to come back up.
Old 02-02-06, 04:01 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chiawei
I just have one question.

On other toyota/lexus system. The DV? can be played upfront by using the software hack (which allowed you to access the navigation).

After using the override software key hack. All you have to do is to slow the car enough then gently tab/hold the E-brake (just enough to have the parking brake light come on- but not engaging it), turn on the DVD video and let go of the E-brake handle. After this is done, you can play DVD in the front without any issues.

As far as i know this worked with 06 toyota double din navigation with RES (rear entertainment system). I think it should also work on the lexus systems. The override feature on the toyota/lexus navi should disable quiet a bit of stuff.

There really is no need to do any wiring mod.
so I tried this and it doesn't seem to work. but i didn't follow this exactly, the dvd is playing when i speed up it goes out, i slow down just enough, tap the e-brake, dvd comes on but it won't stay on.
Old 02-02-06, 08:27 PM
jaygor22
Driver School Candidate

Default Parking light

I had grounded the wire wrong. It is all good now!
thanks
Old 02-02-06, 08:36 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jaygor22
I had grounded the wire wrong. It is all good now!
thanks

Woo, glad it worked out ok. Kinda weird how those lights would come on just by grounding the wrong one. Hmm.. maybe a safety thing built in?
Old 02-02-06, 08:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
Also, our E-Brake handle is actually a pedal. I'm not positive, but I think you have to push it all the way down for it to come back up.
I take it that you've never tried the brake-brake/E-brake-E-brake dance to defeat the nannies and put the car in dyno mode? You don't need to push it all the way down, a slight push (not much harder than I do accidently by kicking it darn near every time I get into the car ) is enough to light the dash light and signal the computer. It doesn't actually apply the brake or lock into position until you push it much further.
Old 02-03-06, 01:37 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
so I tried this and it doesn't seem to work. but i didn't follow this exactly, the dvd is playing when i speed up it goes out, i slow down just enough, tap the e-brake, dvd comes on but it won't stay on.
That means you did not override correctly.

Because after you are done with the navigation in motion override. Go back to the main screen, don't turn on the DVD yet.

Just drive the car slowly, tab the e-brake (wheter it is pedal or hand brake- just enough to light the e-brake light on the dash), then turn on the DVD, and speed up, let go of the brake. Your DVD should stay on in the front. This will only continue to work if you do not switch screen. If you switch to another screen, you have to do the E-brake dance again.

The override function allows the menu/DVD to ingore the input from VSS wires.

Lexus uses both E-brake as well as VSS to disable/enable functions on the navi. If your screen goes out when moving, that means it is still detecting the vss or you did not do the e-brake dance correctly.
Old 02-03-06, 01:40 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tim817
I don't like the idea of having my E-break lights on when driving. Never know if I even tab that E-break so much and who knows what's gonna happen
No, this is not what i am saying.

All i am saying is that you push the e-brake just enough to turn on the light on the dash, but not engage it. After turning on the DVD and start to move the car up to speed (above 5 mph) and let go.

The brake light will not stay on and there is no wear on the emergency brake since it was never engaged.
Old 02-03-06, 01:42 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlin101
less work to do the wiring mod than what you just described.
but, my method does not void your warranty either.

I much prefer not to cut the wires and permantly ground the e-brake wire.

If i can get it done by using combination of buttons in 10 to 15 sec without void my warranty, i will be more than happy to spend 10 to 15 second each time needed to do that.
Old 02-03-06, 03:33 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
I take it that you've never tried the brake-brake/E-brake-E-brake dance to defeat the nannies and put the car in dyno mode? You don't need to push it all the way down, a slight push (not much harder than I do accidently by kicking it darn near every time I get into the car ) is enough to light the dash light and signal the computer. It doesn't actually apply the brake or lock into position until you push it much further.
Well that's good to know. I've done the "VDIM" disable thing but i pushed the brake all the way down. I'm going to have to try it again, just slightly pressing it.

But also, it's just so much easier cutting two wires and having it unlocked, then having to try to slow down then do this and that every time you try to watch a movie. What do you do if your on the interstate and decide to watch a movie..... pull in the emergency lane? and lets say the movie you were watching finishes and you go to put in another one... I can see how that would be a good way around having to take your car apart, but the actual Nav hack makes life so much easier. Also, how about the other functions of the nav like the phone and looking through MP3 folders?
Old 02-03-06, 04:36 AM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

For those of you that have done this mod:

Does this affect the way the Navigation measures your estimated time to arrival (because you are unplugging the speed sensor)? Or is that still accurate?
Old 02-03-06, 08:21 AM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

you are not unplugging the speed sensor. if you want to unplug the speed sensor, dats cutting the pink wire, and you get jumpy navigation, but then you can put destination while ur driving without "volume-navi-hack" all the time. You are just by passing it with white w/silver wire.
therefore, you dont get, jumpy navi and inaccurate esti. time.
Old 02-03-06, 08:39 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
So wait, are you saying you've spliced into the wires, or you've just tried to pull the e-brake while moving slowly?
Old 02-03-06, 01:14 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
So wait, are you saying you've spliced into the wires, or you've just tried to pull the e-brake while moving slowly?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about pulling the e-brake while moving.
Old 02-03-06, 11:19 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznevoviii
you are not unplugging the speed sensor. if you want to unplug the speed sensor, dats cutting the pink wire, and you get jumpy navigation, but then you can put destination while ur driving without "volume-navi-hack" all the time. You are just by passing it with white w/silver wire.
therefore, you dont get, jumpy navi and inaccurate esti. time.
thanks for the clarification

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving