IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 09:11 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chiawei
That means you did not override correctly.

Because after you are done with the navigation in motion override. Go back to the main screen, don't turn on the DVD yet.

Just drive the car slowly, tab the e-brake (wheter it is pedal or hand brake- just enough to light the e-brake light on the dash), then turn on the DVD, and speed up, let go of the brake. Your DVD should stay on in the front. This will only continue to work if you do not switch screen. If you switch to another screen, you have to do the E-brake dance again.

The override function allows the menu/DVD to ingore the input from VSS wires.

Lexus uses both E-brake as well as VSS to disable/enable functions on the navi. If your screen goes out when moving, that means it is still detecting the vss or you did not do the e-brake dance correctly.
ok, i will go back and follow the sequence exactly. i tried lots of different combinations but i have the feeling that i didn't try it exactly as you posted. sounds like a lot of work but if i can get it down and it doesn't take long to do and it's persistent, it might be worth it. i'll try it again today. also are you saying that you have successfully completed this yourself on the is350 exactly for sure?
Old 02-04-06, 09:13 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
So wait, are you saying you've spliced into the wires, or you've just tried to pull the e-brake while moving slowly?
no mods to my system, not yet. still waiting to see if there are any ill-effects or other viable alternatives. so i haven't cut any wires yet.

ok, the real story is my dvd collection is old and i'm really not watching dvds and music videos in my car yet until i burn more updated dvds. i really wish i could hook my video ipod into this, have tons of music videos and tv programs on it.
Old 02-04-06, 04:56 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chiawei
That means you did not override correctly.

Because after you are done with the navigation in motion override. Go back to the main screen, don't turn on the DVD yet.

Just drive the car slowly, tab the e-brake (wheter it is pedal or hand brake- just enough to light the e-brake light on the dash), then turn on the DVD, and speed up, let go of the brake. Your DVD should stay on in the front. This will only continue to work if you do not switch screen. If you switch to another screen, you have to do the E-brake dance again.

The override function allows the menu/DVD to ingore the input from VSS wires.

Lexus uses both E-brake as well as VSS to disable/enable functions on the navi. If your screen goes out when moving, that means it is still detecting the vss or you did not do the e-brake dance correctly.
So after going back, this still didn't work for me, what am I doing wrong? I'm more than happy to keep testing this out before I do the hack for those who are unwilling to hack but might want to play DVDs from time to time rarely. Here's what happens:

Because after you are done with the navigation in motion override. Go back to the main screen, don't turn on the DVD yet. Did this. Aux is the setting, music is playing. Nav orride is succesfully because I can enter destinations while I am driving. So I come to a complete stop.

Just drive the car slowly, tab the e-brake (wheter it is pedal or hand brake- just enough to light the e-brake light on the dash)... Ok, I do this and now I am going maybe 1 or 2 mph and when I barely tap on the pedal, the BRAKE light comes on, no other light comes on from the dash.

[i].... then turn on the DVD....[/] At this point, when I press the DVD button, the aux music quits, the audio portion of the DVD starts playing and the video portion of the DVD will not show. At this point, nothing you do can get the screen to show the video. Also should not that as you begin to speed up, a second WARNING is displayed on the dash showing PARKING BRAKE, this occurs at approx. 3 mph.
Old 02-05-06, 02:27 PM
sajonf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know what wire or connector on the back of the nav unit controls the backup camera?

i did this mod and everything is working except the camera. it worked once then it didnt work any more. i am thinking that i left a connection loose on the back of the nav unit. thanks
Old 02-06-06, 05:58 AM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by sajonf
anyone know what wire or connector on the back of the nav unit controls the backup camera?

i did this mod and everything is working except the camera. it worked once then it didnt work any more. i am thinking that i left a connection loose on the back of the nav unit. thanks
I also determined on the way in to work this morning that my nav system is jumpy as described elsewhere in this thread but everything else is working (except the backup camera), so I think my connection of the pink/white wires is bad.

Does anyone know if this symptom and the backup camera not working could be related?

Also, most people have described the white wire as having silver stripes on it, but mine did not. On the p1 connector, there were two white wires with black stripes and one all white wire. I chose the all white wire because it was in the pin 16 position. Could it be that I chose the wrong wire? Help!

Thanks
Old 02-06-06, 11:08 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sajonf
I also determined on the way in to work this morning that my nav system is jumpy as described elsewhere in this thread but everything else is working (except the backup camera), so I think my connection of the pink/white wires is bad.

Does anyone know if this symptom and the backup camera not working could be related?

Also, most people have described the white wire as having silver stripes on it, but mine did not. On the p1 connector, there were two white wires with black stripes and one all white wire. I chose the all white wire because it was in the pin 16 position. Could it be that I chose the wrong wire? Help!

Thanks
Hey, I suggest you take a look at your wires again. I believe there were two maybe 3 white wires. But each one is different. The P1 Connector can be fully remove (there are 3 connectors that sorta make a V shape). Remove the mesh fully and look for the white wire with silver dotted along it. It should look like silver paint. I do not know which pin number it is. And if your connection with the pink wire does not prevent a jumpy nav, then it may be you've cut the wrong one.
Old 02-06-06, 11:15 AM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Hey, I suggest you take a look at your wires again. I believe there were two maybe 3 white wires. But each one is different. The P1 Connector can be fully remove (there are 3 connectors that sorta make a V shape). Remove the mesh fully and look for the white wire with silver dotted along it. It should look like silver paint. I do not know which pin number it is. And if your connection with the pink wire does not prevent a jumpy nav, then it may be you've cut the wrong one.
Thanks, I plan to take it apart again and will take a look. I actually got the wiring diagram and it looks like I got the correct wire based on that (the wiring diagram says it's all white also). But I will double-check. I may have a bad connection to the pink wire.

Do you have any idea why the backup camera would not be working? The wiring diagram doesn't specify (at least in a way that I could interpret it) which wires or connectors it is associated with.
Old 02-11-06, 05:01 AM
genyosai
Driver

Originally Posted by jmartinace
Quite frankly, looking at the navigation map screen or dialing a cellphone could be just as distracting as having a DVD playing.
My thoughts exactly! I've never understood the DVD/NAVI issue. You're expected to use the NAVI display for reference when using it for guidance, yet this is not considered a distraction? I have Kenwood Excelon units w/NAVI in my IS300 and my Supra, both of which I've grounded the parking brake wire to the chassis for "mobile" operation... no issues. It's more for my two little ones to watch while I'm driving them to school or something. In fact, I find that I don't even glance at the screen when a movie is playing, as I DO when the NAVI display is up. However, when I have to come to a stop, I do watch briefly... which is easier when hacked than it would be to apply the parking brake each time.

I intend to use this thread to make the modification to my 06 GS300 (I'd assume the directions should be very similar, if not exact. Does anyone here know?). I definitely intend to use this thread to mod my IS350 when it arrives later this month. I mean, c'mon. The DVD video playback feature in these two vehicles is really a joke unless you make the bypass! So the video will play IF you apply the parking brake and THEN switch to audio mode and touch the button to bring the video back! 3 STEPS! At least, if left un modified, my Kenwoods would automatically bring back the video when the brake is applied.

Last edited by genyosai; 02-11-06 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-11-06, 07:56 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

the issue of whether using the device constitutes a hazardous distraction is not up to the car or electronic manufacturer, but rather, determined by governing agencies that write the laws. The same thing happened to cellular phones; now many states ban the use of cell phone while driving. We the drivers may disagree with specific speed limits in certain areas, but we are still required to obey the law, or take the risk of being ticketed. I modded my NAV/DVD, knowing that I won't take my eyes off the road to watch a DVD; but honestly, I wouldn't want the driver behind me to watch a DVD or talk on a cell phone.
Old 02-15-06, 11:52 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aznevoviii
if you want to unplug the speed sensor, dats cutting the pink wire, and you get jumpy navigation, but then you can put destination while ur driving without "volume-navi-hack" all the time.
if i do this, is this the only drawback?

i looked at the "jumpy" video that someone posted in this thread earlier and it doesnt look bad at all. nesides, if it does get annoying, i can always splice it back together.
Old 02-15-06, 01:12 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by car_lost
if i do this, is this the only drawback?

i looked at the "jumpy" video that someone posted in this thread earlier and it doesnt look bad at all. nesides, if it does get annoying, i can always splice it back together.
I believe so, I don't know why you guys don't put in a toggle for each signal. One switch to disconnect parking brake signal, one switch to disconnect speed signal (direct from sensor to switch to NAV, bypassing multidisplay).

I haven't done this mod yet, but I will atleast be putting a switch on the parking brake ground. (I don't much care to have a video running while driving, but MP3 folder navigation is what I am looking for).

-Brian
Old 02-15-06, 06:02 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rys
I believe so, I don't know why you guys don't put in a toggle for each signal. One switch to disconnect parking brake signal, one switch to disconnect speed signal (direct from sensor to switch to NAV, bypassing multidisplay).

I haven't done this mod yet, but I will atleast be putting a switch on the parking brake ground. (I don't much care to have a video running while driving, but MP3 folder navigation is what I am looking for).

-Brian
If you don't care about watching DVD's while you drive, you don't have to cut the red ground wire at all.
Old 02-15-06, 07:23 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Payam
If you don't care about watching DVD's while you drive, you don't have to cut the red ground wire at all.
What about MP3 folder navigation while in motion?

-Brian
Old 02-15-06, 07:56 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rys
What about MP3 folder navigation while in motion?

-Brian
everything you need to know is in the first page of this thread. It doesn't get any more clear then that.

Anyway, I did the entire shebang and everything works as described. I grounded the red wire directly to a small screw holding the nav unit together.

Everything works, video, camera, phonebook etc.

What is this jumpy video everyone is talking about?
Old 02-15-06, 08:02 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
everything you need to know is in the first page of this thread. It doesn't get any more clear then that.

Anyway, I did the entire shebang and everything works as described. I grounded the red wire directly to a small screw holding the nav unit together.

Everything works, video, camera, phonebook etc.

What is this jumpy video everyone is talking about?

When I was first on the virge of figuring out this hack, I only cut the pink wire that took the speed signal to the multi display as well as the NAV unit.....at that point I discovered that the NAV was jumpy because it was relying only on the satellites to show the location, as opposed to the speed sensor/gyro/satellite signal. It refreshes your location once every couple seconds on the screen. At that point I was unsure if the white/silver banded wire was the SAME signal as the pink or it had been converted in some way in the multi-display. Finally at one point I decided to try it anyways, and it worked....

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving