IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto Unlock when opening the vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-05, 06:39 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Unlock when opening the vehicle

For some reason, when I approach my car while it's locked (and the puddle lights come on and everything), only the driver's side door unlocks. The rest of the car remains locked. This is a pain because you'd think the rest of the doors would unlock, and not just the driver's door. The odd thing is if I open the passenger front door, the whole care will unlock.

Is this happening with everyone? Is there an easy solution?
Old 12-31-05, 06:56 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a simple thing, on page 6 of the owners manual.

turn car off.

near the car: push and hold the unlock button on the key for approximately 5 seconds while pushing the lock button on the key.

Dave, IS350..

Last edited by dkaplan435; 12-31-05 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-05, 07:21 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

it pays to read the manual...
Old 01-01-06, 01:40 AM
pwndzzled
Rookie

hehe... be nice.
You don't catch everything reading through the manual.
Old 01-01-06, 04:11 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
I found this by mistake, but was looking for it! It's not referenced in the table of contents.
Old 01-01-06, 10:39 AM
Switch
Driver School Candidate

thanks morrisey... I was thinking the same thing -

For some reason I can sit on these forums for hours and read all day long, but to pick up the manual? Even with all the colors it just doesn't work for me. Perhaps my A.D.D. is acting up again.

CHEERS!
Old 01-01-06, 10:48 AM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Switch
thanks morrisey... I was thinking the same thing -

For some reason I can sit on these forums for hours and read all day long, but to pick up the manual? Even with all the colors it just doesn't work for me. Perhaps my A.D.D. is acting up again.

CHEERS!

Hey what kind of wheels are on your IS?
Old 01-01-06, 10:50 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
Um....I'm not sure if your'e purposely trying to be condescending or not, but the purpose of a forum is to ask questions right????

Anyways, thanks to the original member who replied. That did the trick. I wasn't able to find it in the manual, which was why I made this thread in the first place.
Old 01-01-06, 02:25 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Morrissey
Um....I'm not sure if your'e purposely trying to be condescending or not, but the purpose of a forum is to ask questions right????

Anyways, thanks to the original member who replied. That did the trick. I wasn't able to find it in the manual, which was why I made this thread in the first place.
wasn't being condescending--sorry you felt that way. It is one of the Personalized Settings (see the back of the manual) that your salesman should have at least mentioned to you when you took delivery.
Old 01-01-06, 05:29 PM
jeffyee123
Rookie

The reason the default is to only unlock one door is for safety. If you were unlocking your car at night in a strange location, you might not want all your doors to unlock, so that someone could just jump in unexpectedly....guess it's not that big of a deal in a smaller town, but a bigger city like LA, I'm a little more wary of this.

Guess they figure if you're opening the passenger side door first you're with other people, so it's okay to open all of em.
Old 01-01-06, 06:21 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jeffyee123
The reason the default is to only unlock one door is for safety. If you were unlocking your car at night in a strange location, you might not want all your doors to unlock, so that someone could just jump in unexpectedly....guess it's not that big of a deal in a smaller town, but a bigger city like LA, I'm a little more wary of this.

Guess they figure if you're opening the passenger side door first you're with other people, so it's okay to open all of em.
that's right; if I am not mistaken, all German and most Japanese cars made in the last 5+ years are this way--took me awhile to get used to it. At least we can disable it.
Old 01-01-06, 06:53 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just being general here, I like the way it functions, so if anyone cares, here's how I have it setup (rationale):

If I you are alone, who cares if the other doors open or not so it is good that ONLY the driver's door opens and the rest stay locked. Doesn't make sense to use the remote since you gotta grip the dorr handle anyway....

If you are with your family, you're not going to be the first one to the car probably not so it makes sense to use the remote (not the door handle) to unlock all doors and let everyone in. Here's where I might change my LPS #1 where I press the remote unlock button one time and ALL doors unlock instead of just the driver's door. Not a pain to press twice but IF you have the handle set to unlock driver only, makes not sense to me to have the remote set that way, too.

If you are with one other person (let's say your S.O.), you have an good excuse to reach for the passenger's door to let them in. Not only is it cool to unlock a door by touch (so they can see) but also you will unlock your [driver's] door so they don't have to reach across.

As for safety, big city or little city...in my book you never want to open/unlock more doors than you have to. Another topic, but that's why I'm thinking about this "shift to Park unlock all doors" setting.

The trunk opens with a press and hold on the remote. I might change that LPS #9 to press one time. That way I can reach into my pocket and tap the small round button without fearing that I'm pressing and holding the Panic button. I need to still look at this since I think just simply reaching for the physical button underneath the trunk will work for me most of the time.

And I still don't like the fact that the headlights don't shine bright if you've left them on when you unlock (currently the parking lights flash). Works very nice in a parking lot as you approach your car, should be a setting.

Last edited by kensteele; 01-01-06 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-01-06, 06:59 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
So just being general here, I like the way it functions, so if anyone cares, here's how I have it setup (rationale):

If I you are alone, who cares if the other doors open or not so it is good that ONLY the driver's door opens and the rest stay locked. Doesn't make sense to use the remote since you gotta grip the dorr handle anyway....

If you are with your family, you're not going to be the first one to the car probably not so it makes sense to use the remote (not the door handle) to unlock all doors and let everyone in. Here's where I might change my LPS #1 where I press the remote unlock button one time and ALL doors unlock instead of just the driver's door. Not a pain to press twice but IF you have the handle set to unlock driver only, makes not sense to me to have the remote set that way, too.

If you are with one other person (let's say your S.O.), you have an good excuse to reach for the passenger's door to let them in. Not only is it cool to unlock a door by touch (so they can see) but also you will unlock your [driver's] door so they don't have to reach across.

As for safety, big city or little city...in my book you never want to open/unlock more doors than you have to. Another topic, but that's why I'm thinking about this "shift to Park unlock all doors" setting.

The trunk opens with a press and hold on the remote. I might change that LPS #9 to press one time. That way I can reach into my pocket and tap the small round button without fearing that I'm pressing and holding the Panic button. I need to still look at this since I think just simply reaching for the physical button underneath the trunk will work for me most of the time.

And I still don't like the fact that the headlights don't shine bright if you've left them on when you unlock (currently the parking lights flash). Works very nice in a parking lot as you approach your car, should be a setting.
good tip, ken.
Old 01-01-06, 08:39 PM
Switch
Driver School Candidate

stang... the car in my siggy is actually pshopped w/ HRE 948's. This summer I think I'll have new wheels.

...right now I have 16's with winters...
Old 01-02-06, 05:36 AM
QikSilvr
Driver

Well I am due in Feb so I canot even look at the owners PDFs yet (without a VIN), so a question if you please.

If you approach the passenger door to open it for your SO, does it unlock all doors?

Quick Reply: Auto Unlock when opening the vehicle