IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-06, 09:55 AM
rlonjohnso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Locks

Has anyone else forgotten to lock their doors when they get out of the car? With a key, I was used to having the keys in my hand after turning off the car, so locking it via the fob was natural. Now, either pushing the button on the handle, or digging the keys out of my pocket will get some getting used to.

Is there a way to have the doors lock when you walk away from the car?
Old 01-03-06, 10:01 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you leave your key inside the car and you tried to lock it by pressing the button on the door, it won't work. it will have a longer beep
Old 01-03-06, 10:22 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it took some time but you'll get use to it. my old car i use to hit the remote everytime but now i just press the button on the door handle, no problem...it just takes some time. so far i haven't forgotten yet.
Old 01-03-06, 10:43 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
it took some time but you'll get use to it. my old car i use to hit the remote everytime but now i just press the button on the door handle, no problem...it just takes some time. so far i haven't forgotten yet.
I know the manual says that the car can't be locked with the fob inside, but I somehow managed to do so once. On the day I picked up the car, I had to stop by the hospital for an emergency surgery before going home. Unbeknownst to me, I left the second fob inside the car and walked off with the first fob, after locking with the door button. Three hours later on the way back to the parking lot, I relaized what I had done. I thought, "shxt, I left my new Lexus unlocked!"--but I was glad to find the door locked, with the second fob inside.
Now I don't even take the fob out of my pocket when I drive. I push the door button when I get out.
Old 01-03-06, 12:45 PM
yoshi06is
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Locks and unlocking

Hi All,
Just joined this forum, enjoy all the postings about this exciting car. Is there a way to unlock all 4 doors with the remote? i know when unlocking the driver side door you can open all 4 door by hitting the unlock button inside the door.
thanks.
Old 01-03-06, 12:55 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshi06is
Hi All,
Just joined this forum, enjoy all the postings about this exciting car. Is there a way to unlock all 4 doors with the remote? i know when unlocking the driver side door you can open all 4 door by hitting the unlock button inside the door.
thanks.
Yes, just double-click the unlock button on the remote. You can also ask your dealer, on the "Lexus preference system" form, to set the car to unlock all four doors with a single press.
Old 01-03-06, 02:27 PM
IS lover
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,
thanks.
You can also hit the open button and press and hold the lock button and open the passengers door this should train the car to open all doors when you walk up to it.
Old 01-03-06, 05:11 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS lover
You can also hit the open button and press and hold the lock button and open the passengers door this should train the car to open all doors when you walk up to it.
Remember, if you do this, everytime you touch to driver's door to enter, all the doors will unlock everytime. The only way to avoid this is the press the remote's unlock button one time.

If you really need to open all doors daily for passengers (if double-clicking the remote unlock is too tough), I suggest you arm the front passenger with the second remote. You could keep the second remote in the car or give it to that person (wife) semi-permanently and she would be responsible for grabbing the passenger door handle and unlocking all the doors.

To me it's just too risky to permanently change your driver's door handle setting to "grip me and unlock all the doors."

My 2 cents.
Old 01-03-06, 05:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jlin101
I know the manual says that the car can't be locked with the fob inside, but I somehow managed to do so once. On the day I picked up the car, I had to stop by the hospital for an emergency surgery before going home. Unbeknownst to me, I left the second fob inside the car and walked off with the first fob, after locking with the door button. Three hours later on the way back to the parking lot, I relaized what I had done. I thought, "shxt, I left my new Lexus unlocked!"--but I was glad to find the door locked, with the second fob inside.
Now I don't even take the fob out of my pocket when I drive. I push the door button when I get out.
It appears that you can leave the first remote inside the car and lock the doors using a second remote when you walk away. However, you are unable to push the button on the handle as you will be rejected because the first remote is inside the car.

Which means for those who want to leave the first remote inside the car at all times, you can do this...you just need to lock the doors with the button on the second remote. If a stranger walks up to your car, they will not be able to open your door even though your first remote is inside the car.

I just tested this...but sometimes I get confused.
Old 01-03-06, 06:01 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Hi All,
thanks.
Owners Manual p.6
Old 01-03-06, 06:09 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

To me it's just too risky to permanently change your driver's door handle setting to "grip me and unlock all the doors."
I have mine set to unlock all doors, and I live in New Jersey. If a criminal is bold enough to hop in the passenger seat right in front of my eyes, I'll toss him the keys, wish him happy motoring, and let the police and insurance company sort it out.

Honestly, if I lived in an area where I was so concerned about carjacking that had to equip my passengers with their own keys, I'd seriously consider moving to a safer state. I was going to say "like Kansas", but given your concern, maybe not.
Old 01-04-06, 06:52 AM
QikSilvr
Driver

Help me understand this.
Why would you want to leave the second remote inside the car?
Old 01-04-06, 06:54 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

It appears that you can leave the first remote inside the car and lock the doors using a second remote when you walk away. However, you are unable to push the button on the handle as you will be rejected because the first remote is inside the car.

Which means for those who want to leave the first remote inside the car at all times, you can do this...you just need to lock the doors with the button on the second remote. If a stranger walks up to your car, they will not be able to open your door even though your first remote is inside the car.

I just tested this...but sometimes I get confused.
that must be what I did.
Old 01-04-06, 07:01 AM
Money9111
Driver School Candidate

Default I don't get it

so you can't lock the door with the key fob?
Old 01-04-06, 07:05 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

You can lock the door with the key fob, the problem people are having is that since you aren't holding the key fob they don't think to do it or dig it out of their pocket.

Quick Reply: Door Locks