IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight Operation question,IS350 Lux

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 07:52 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Operation question,IS350 Lux

Maybe one of you guys that already their IS350 with Luxury option could clarify something.

Specifically lets say for example you drive home, or to work in the morning. You pull into your garage, driveway, parking space. You turn off your headlights, but the car is still idling, for just a few more second, you haven't turned the motor off yet. You know, some us old school guys like to listen to the motor for a minute or two with the radio off, just making sure it sounds alright. Then you press the button and kill the engine.

I want to know when you get out of the car, do the headlights come back on for 30 seconds, after you get out and close the door or just the interior light fades out?

seems crazy for them to come back on. So you need dealer help to turn that off for your headlight switch to actually control the headlights?

please clarify, Lexus IS350 brochure = fuzzy.
Thanks !
Old 01-05-06, 05:23 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Maybe one of you guys that already their IS350 with Luxury option could clarify something.

Specifically lets say for example you drive home, or to work in the morning. You pull into your garage, driveway, parking space. You turn off your headlights, but the car is still idling, for just a few more second, you haven't turned the motor off yet. You know, some us old school guys like to listen to the motor for a minute or two with the radio off, just making sure it sounds alright. Then you press the button and kill the engine.

I want to know when you get out of the car, do the headlights come back on for 30 seconds, after you get out and close the door or just the interior light fades out?

seems crazy for them to come back on. So you need dealer help to turn that off for your headlight switch to actually control the headlights?

please clarify, Lexus IS350 brochure = fuzzy.
Thanks !
the healights do not come back on if you had already manually turned them off, even if you exit the car. If you leave the headlight control in the Automatic position (the 3rd stop on the stalk), and the lights are already on, they go off 30 sec (by default, or whatever interval you ask the technician to set) after you exit the vehicle. You can also set the sensitivity of the light sensor to turn on the lights.

Last edited by jlin101; 01-05-06 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-05-06, 07:08 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Thanks Jlin101, I appreciate it.

Jitters/Panic right before delivery here soon , I hope.
Thanks!
Old 01-05-06, 08:48 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
the healights do not come back on if you had already manually turned them off, even if you exit the car. If you leave the headlight control in the Automatic position (the 3rd stop on the stalk), and the lights are already on, they go off 30 sec (by default, or whatever interval you ask the technician to set) after you exit the vehicle. You can also set the sensitivity of the light sensor to turn on the lights.
It's a shame that the automatic headlights don't turn always on when the rain sensor fires up the windshield wipers. Many states have a "wipers on/lights on law", and it would be nice if the technology in the car automatically complied.
Old 01-06-06, 07:02 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's a shame that the automatic headlights don't turn always on when the rain sensor fires up the windshield wipers. Many states have a "wipers on/lights on law", and it would be nice if the technology in the car automatically complied.
that's a first for me--is it for presumed poor visibility in inclement weather? Kind of silly to couple automatic headlight with automatic wipers, which come on in automatic car wash. The IS already has DRL, so others can see you. If the ambient light is low, the light will come on anyways, regardless of rain. So I wouldn't want my lights to come on every time I use the wipers.
Old 01-06-06, 07:15 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
that's a first for me--is it for presumed poor visibility in inclement weather? Kind of silly to couple automatic headlight with automatic wipers, which come on in automatic car wash. The IS already has DRL, so others can see you. If the ambient light is low, the light will come on anyways, regardless of rain. So I wouldn't want my lights to come on every time I use the wipers.
Yes, poor visibility is the reason. According to this article http://www.carjunky.net/news/car_saf..._lights_on.php, a wipers on lights on law has been enacted in nearly 20 states. The article mentions Oregon, Connecticut, Florida and Minnesota. I know New Jersey and California have it too. The DRL doesn't turn on the taillights, so you could still get pulled over by a cop. Perhaps this could be a feature settable with LPS.