IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smartaccess

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 10:33 AM
vp911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartaccess

I am wondering, can you lock the doors from the outside with the car still running? I know with the FX35 I could do that, but with the RL I cannot. Sometimes I will only be running in to somewhere like carry out chinese and I will leave the car on to stay warm because it is so damn cold outside.
Old 01-05-06, 12:11 PM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Tryed to with mine, didnt work.
Old 01-05-06, 12:22 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

IS350spBLK - These issues are probably covered in the owners manual...but here goes. When you tried, did you try and lock with the remote or the traditional way? I have to try this after work.

The other morning my wife started the car up for warming and left to go back into the house with the access key on her person, there was only a constant beeping. I wonder what would happen if someone were to drive off w/o the access key?
Old 01-05-06, 12:55 PM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Originally Posted by Chi-town
IS350spBLK - These issues are probably covered in the owners manual...but here goes. When you tried, did you try and lock with the remote or the traditional way? I have to try this after work.

The other morning my wife started the car up for warming and left to go back into the house with the access key on her person, there was only a constant beeping. I wonder what would happen if someone were to drive off w/o the access key?
The dealer told me you cant drive offf with the key not being there, It has to be inside the car. Just like if you leave your key inside of the car and try to close the doors with the button on the door handle it wont let you, the distance sensor is really sensitive.

And Im not quite sure what issues your talking about? I didn't say I had any.
Old 01-05-06, 03:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

if you started the car. you could drive off... but when you turn it off, you wouldnt be able to turn it back on. It is an safety feature.
Old 01-05-06, 04:30 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350spBLK
The dealer told me you cant drive offf with the key not being there, It has to be inside the car. Just like if you leave your key inside of the car and try to close the doors with the button on the door handle it wont let you, the distance sensor is really sensitive.

...dealer was misinformed....my friends thought it would be funny when I walked into 711 the car beeps 3 times (missing smartkey message) and they got into the driver's seat with the car running, they moved the car no problem...
Old 01-05-06, 05:32 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Issues meaning : "issues" involving smartkey access; not the one singular occasion that you were referring to in "tried, but didn't work."

Sorry for any confusion
Old 01-05-06, 09:41 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by muzzman1
...dealer was misinformed....my friends thought it would be funny when I walked into 711 the car beeps 3 times (missing smartkey message) and they got into the driver's seat with the car running, they moved the car no problem...
HaHa, same here. I had to run inside my house while my friends were still in the car. So one of them jumped in the drivers seat and started going down the road.
Old 01-06-06, 08:48 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
HaHa, same here. I had to run inside my house while my friends were still in the car. So one of them jumped in the drivers seat and started going down the road.
Well in that case I guess smartaccess isnt the smartest thing for lexus... good idea but not fully thought out.
Old 01-06-06, 08:50 AM
vp911
Intermediate

Well in that case I guess smartaccess isnt the smartest thing for lexus... good idea but not fully thought out.

All the cars which have the same type of keyless system do the same thing.
Old 01-06-06, 09:15 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Originally Posted by vp911
All the cars which have the same type of keyless system do the same thing.
Well I always thought lexus was a little ahead of the pack with safety and convenience... or should I say trys to be.
Old 01-06-06, 09:16 AM
vp911
Intermediate

Well I always thought lexus was a little ahead of the pack with safety and convenience... or should I say trys to be.
Very true.
Old 01-06-06, 09:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

lol, you are funny. What happens if the kid takes mom's handbag or dads jacket, puts it to the back seat so the key is not detected? Engine stops, they die in an highway accident?

It is very well figured out. Even if someone steals your car when you stupidly leave it on while you go and shop, they still dont have an key or way to turn it on again. With normal key, they would be able to copy the key and use it forever.
Old 01-06-06, 09:35 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, you are funny. What happens if the kid takes mom's handbag or dads jacket, puts it to the back seat so the key is not detected? Engine stops, they die in an highway accident?

It is very well figured out. Even if someone steals your car when you stupidly leave it on while you go and shop, they still dont have an key or way to turn it on again. With normal key, they would be able to copy the key and use it forever.
First of all they could simply design the car to shut off if the key is more than 5 feet from the car, second of all dont tell me I STUPIDLY leave my car anywhere, not nice. And if somebody were to steal my car I doubt they would stop by a quiki mart to get some coffee in the proccess and usaully when nice cars are stolen they go to a chop shop... doubt they need keys and correct me if Im rong but cars are stolen with out keys most of the time.... so who cares if they don't have the key to make a copy???
Old 01-06-06, 12:17 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

First of all they could simply design the car to shut off if the key is more than 5 feet from the car, second of all dont tell me I STUPIDLY leave my car anywhere, not nice. And if somebody were to steal my car I doubt they would stop by a quiki mart to get some coffee in the proccess and usaully when nice cars are stolen they go to a chop shop... doubt they need keys and correct me if Im rong but cars are stolen with out keys most of the time.... so who cares if they don't have the key to make a copy???
On the other hand, I wouldn't want my car to shut off because I got out to get the mail (with the fob in my pocket). Smart access/keyless start is just a convenience feature, not a cure-all. It's no different than driving with the key, except for not inserting the key. If you leave the key inside the car, someone can steal it and drive it until he decides to dump the car (not all car theft ends up in chop shop). With SmartAccess, as soon as he shuts off the engine, the car can no longer be driven, what's so bad about that?! One of the reasons the car does not automatically lock when the driver leaves the car with the fob, while the engine is still running, is that there may be another passenger inside the car. If the passenger should decide to exit the car, the alarm can go off. The others scenario is someone tossing the fob out the window while the car is moving, do you want the car to shut off? I wouldn't. Actually it's very difficult to steal the newer cars without the key due toignition lockout. The car must detect the presence of the ID chip (with rolling code) inside the key/fob before it can be started.

Quick Reply: Smartaccess