IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06 | 04:02 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Not taking any sides in this argument since I realize everyone is different.

I'm probably one of the most aggressive drivers around, certainly more than 85% of the total road population, etc. Having said that, I absolutely did not and would not redline or full-throttle the 350 from a dealership. Two reasons: I was deadset going to buy this car, it would have taken an act of Congress not to. Absolutely no reason to redline or full-throttle the dealer's car or my car on delivery day. Makes no difference to me what it could "do". With the break-in period recently abound and snow tires still on my car, today I have yet to hammer this my car. However, stay tuned, my future posts (this summer) will read quite the differently.

Second, I drove this car at the Taste of Lexus. Not everybody destroys the car on the test drive. Nobody can tell which car is more destroyed from the next by looking at the odometer (140miles v. 5 miles). The way some people take their test drives, you might be better off with that 140mile car, you never know.
Old 01-10-06 | 04:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys this is a good discussion, but please discontinue the name calling (even if not specifically directed at an individual) and keep to the topic at hand. I ask you to respect other member's opinions even if you don't agree with them.
What Dave said.
Old 01-10-06 | 05:03 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
Not taking any sides in this argument since I realize everyone is different.

I'm probably one of the most aggressive drivers around, certainly more than 85% of the total road population, etc. Having said that, I absolutely did not and would not redline or full-throttle the 350 from a dealership. Two reasons: I was deadset going to buy this car, it would have taken an act of Congress not to. Absolutely no reason to redline or full-throttle the dealer's car or my car on delivery day. Makes no difference to me what it could "do". With the break-in period recently abound and snow tires still on my car, today I have yet to hammer this my car. However, stay tuned, my future posts (this summer) will read quite the differently.

Second, I drove this car at the Taste of Lexus. Not everybody destroys the car on the test drive. Nobody can tell which car is more destroyed from the next by looking at the odometer (140miles v. 5 miles). The way some people take their test drives, you might be better off with that 140mile car, you never know.
Exactly what Kensteele said. I drove the IS 250 and 350 hard at the Taste of Lexus. I wouldn't "abuse" the car I'm about to take delivery on.
Old 01-10-06 | 06:34 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Anybody reading this thread, beware of Lexus of Englewood in NJ, they have made my purchase miserable...
Wrong, Nine. You yourself have made your purchase miserable. Good God man... quit trying to find someone else to blame. Go out and take a ride in your BRAND NEW vehicle.

Quick question. What is it that you want? Do you resonably expect them to take the care back and give you another or something? Do you want to get a free service out of it? What?
Old 01-10-06 | 07:17 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Wrong, Nine. You yourself have made your purchase miserable. Good God man... quit trying to find someone else to blame. Go out and take a ride in your BRAND NEW vehicle.

Quick question. What is it that you want? Do you resonably expect them to take the care back and give you another or something? Do you want to get a free service out of it? What?
I believe I admitted that part of it was my mistake, but the salesman told me way before I signed the papers that the car was brand new. Then after like 3 hours later they prepared and washed up the car and brought it. While I'm all excited I find that the car has 140 miles. Like I said since I spent the whole day at two dealerships and drove over 70 miles I was not about to go home empty handed. I was not blaming the whole thing on them, this thread was started because I was convinced that my car was a demo when I saw the dealership sticker on the back. Then I found that they put stickers on all their cars.

What is it that I want? Nothing now, since I can't get anything. And if you read this whole thread, I am not the one who made it this long. It's people having arguements/discussions with each other. Actually if you even read the first page, you'll see that I have a broken grill on a 43k car, and fortunately they will replace it.

And what is wrong with me sharing my bad purchase experience? Did the dealership do nothing wrong buy using a car that would be sold as "new" to be driven around? Did the salesman do nothing wrong when he lied to me? I know I could have just left, but many dealerships around me were out of the IS and I was getting desperate to get a new car and get the purchase over before spring semester begins (so I dont waste time going to dealerships).
Old 01-10-06 | 11:57 PM
IS2Sav
Rookie

you paid for a new car, so you should of got a new car!
Old 01-11-06 | 12:26 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Man I thought I was bad with babying my stuff. And this is coming from a guy that vacumms and scrubs his car's interior weekley and scrubs his favorite sneakers too
Old 01-11-06 | 07:07 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS2Sav
They gave me about 1500 over the kbb value of my trade-in, does this deal justify the kind of car they gave me?
Old 01-11-06 | 08:41 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS2Sav
no he paid for the car he got. new used or otherwise
Old 01-11-06 | 11:22 AM
IS2Sav
Rookie

well **** i personally wouldnt take a car that has been raped on.. id want to be t he first one to rape it... plus u feel more better knowing that its a brand spankin new car
Old 01-11-06 | 03:21 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I believe I admitted that part of it was my mistake, but the salesman told me way before I signed the papers that the car was brand new. Then after like 3 hours later they prepared and washed up the car and brought it. While I'm all excited I find that the car has 140 miles. Like I said since I spent the whole day at two dealerships and drove over 70 miles I was not about to go home empty handed. I was not blaming the whole thing on them, this thread was started because I was convinced that my car was a demo when I saw the dealership sticker on the back. Then I found that they put stickers on all their cars.

What is it that I want? Nothing now, since I can't get anything. And if you read this whole thread, I am not the one who made it this long. It's people having arguements/discussions with each other. Actually if you even read the first page, you'll see that I have a broken grill on a 43k car, and fortunately they will replace it.

And what is wrong with me sharing my bad purchase experience? Did the dealership do nothing wrong buy using a car that would be sold as "new" to be driven around? Did the salesman do nothing wrong when he lied to me? I know I could have just left, but many dealerships around me were out of the IS and I was getting desperate to get a new car and get the purchase over before spring semester begins (so I dont waste time going to dealerships).
I guess I am confused. Did you not see and drive the car before signing the papers? How could you not know it had 140 miles. You keep stating that you got screwed and they lied to you. The dealer did sell you a new car. If you didn't look at the odometer in the car or the paper work (mileage statement) how can you blame the dealer. They called it new because it is/was. No deception.
Old 01-11-06 | 05:57 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

I'd just look at it as 140 miles closer to the end of the engine break in period. 140 miles on that car is peanuts, it'll be fine. I bought an IS300 demo 3 years ago and it had 500 miles on it. I got 60K miles on it before trading it in and no problems.
Old 01-11-06 | 06:49 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
I guess I am confused. Did you not see and drive the car before signing the papers? How could you not know it had 140 miles. You keep stating that you got screwed and they lied to you. The dealer did sell you a new car. If you didn't look at the odometer in the car or the paper work (mileage statement) how can you blame the dealer. They called it new because it is/was. No deception.
Listen, I bought the car the in one day and the whole process took about 4 to 5 hours. First this dealership is located in a very densly populated area (bergen county NJ pop: 850,000+) so the dealership has a very tiney parking light which has barely enough spots for service vehicles and sales customers, therefore they leave all their vehicles that are for sale at a warehouse few miles away.

Not too long after we agreed at a trade-in price I asked how many miles were on the car and this guy told me it was brand new but he did not know the exact mileage. I told him that as long it doesn't have like 100 miles it wouldn't be a problem and he shook his head and said that it was definitely under that. Then after I found that my credit had been aproved I asked to see the car and window sticker. He told me that the car was already being washed and prepared (I told the salesman when I first called him that I was trying to pick up the same day) so I would have to wait until the car gets there.

So after about 2 hours they bring me the papers to sign and I tell them that I want to see the car first. Like I said even after I saw the car had 140 miles I didn't want to go home empty handed after spending over 4 hours at this dealer and several more at another dealership before plus 70+ miles of driving.

And I already stated that the dealer wrote on the mileage statement over the original mileage (8 miles) with 148 miles.

If the salesman did not lie to me in the beginning of the conversation/deal then I would not have spent the whole day there.
Old 01-11-06 | 07:00 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

So how much has this cost you to get this car? Can we put a dollar figure on what you think you are out of because of the "extended" trip and the mileage discrepancy? Are we talking $100, $500, maybe $1,000....what?
Old 01-11-06 | 07:16 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
So how much has this cost you to get this car? Can we put a dollar figure on what you think you are out of because of the "extended" trip and the mileage discrepancy? Are we talking $100, $500, maybe $1,000....what?
There is no discrepency now, I am over it, they will replace my grill, i will never buy a car from them again. Nothing more. I have been only answer people's comments to me, some of which were offensive. These people are telling me the dealer did nothing wrong, they did they lied to me when I first asked about the mileage and held off until the last minute when the car was all prepared.

Let me repeat I have just been replying to members who have been telling me the dealership did nothing wrong and my bad purchase experience was all my fault.

I am just posting these pic because another member wanted to see grey interior in black.
Attached Thumbnails Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?-dsc01027.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?