IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06 | 07:17 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

here's another pic...
Attached Thumbnails Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?-dsc01028.jpg  
Old 01-11-06 | 07:29 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Hey Nine. I've been following this thread for a while (as have many others). I agree with you. What the dealer did was completely dishonest and sleazy. They lied to you upfront, and figured that you would be so worn down by the end of the night that you'd take the car even when you found out that it had 140 miles (nothwithstanding the fact that at the start of the evening you specifically told them that the car must have only a few miles on it). Unfortunately, as we all know, this is a common dealer tactic. If they hold you off long enough, you'll get so fed up with the experience that you'll just want to get out of there (with the car, of course) and you'll agree to just about anything. I would have thought that a Lexus dealership was above this tactic, but apparently not. It still makes absolutely no sense to me when a salesperson disappears for 15-20 minutes to "run the numbers." Give me a freakin' break. They sell these cars day in and day out. Are you telling me that they don't know exactly what the "number" is from the moment you walk in the door? It's completely ridiculous. I don't and won't buy a car like that. Whenever I'm buying a car, when the salesperson gets up to "run the numbers," I tell them that if they are not back in 5 minutes, they may as well not come back at all because I won't be there. I'm very calm in my demeanor, and I tell them that I'm not being hostile about it, but I don't have time to waste and they can run whatever numbers they need to run in 5 minutes.

You'll get past this (it sounds like you already are). Enjoy the car. It's really sharp.

e
Old 01-11-06 | 07:37 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Listen, I bought the car the in one day and the whole process took about 4 to 5 hours. First this dealership is located in a very densly populated area (bergen county NJ pop: 850,000+) so the dealership has a very tiney parking light which has barely enough spots for service vehicles and sales customers, therefore they leave all their vehicles that are for sale at a warehouse few miles away.
What does that have to do with anything? You're confusing the @#$% out of me.

Not too long after we agreed at a trade-in price I asked how many miles were on the car and this guy told me it was brand new but he did not know the exact mileage. I told him that as long it doesn't have like 100 miles it wouldn't be a problem and he shook his head and said that it was definitely under that.
There are some sleazy dealer out there but I find it hard to believe that this guy lied to you, Nine. Fact is he probably had no idea how many miles were on that car. Typically they probably are under 100 miles. It's not like they have a photographic memory bank w/ the mileage of each car on the lot in there.

Then after I found that my credit had been aproved I asked to see the car and window sticker. He told me that the car was already being washed and prepared (I told the salesman when I first called him that I was trying to pick up the same day) so I would have to wait until the car gets there.
Sound to me like he was doing his job trying to be respectful of your wishes and not waste too much of your time.

So after about 2 hours they bring me the papers to sign and I tell them that I want to see the car first.
Smart move

Like I said even after I saw the car had 140 miles I didn't want to go home empty handed after spending over 4 hours at this dealer and several more at another dealership before plus 70+ miles of driving.
That was your mistake. NEVER walk into a situation that you aren't prepared to walk out of. Please take my advice. You're young. I can only think of the damage you would do to yourself when you're sitting across the table closing on your new home and the builder tries to stick it to you at the last minute. If you don't have enough fortitude to walk out on a 40K auto how are you going to do it on a 300K house? I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic.

If the salesman did not lie to me in the beginning of the conversation/deal then I would not have spent the whole day there.
Nine, again the salesman did not lie to you. He probably had absolutely no idea how many miles were on that car till the last minute. I don't know all the in's and out's of how the paperwork is prepared but I'm guessing that he/she did not prepare that paperwork and therefore was not the one that x'd out 8 miles and replaced it with 148. For most people it would not be an issue.

I think it's great you're wanting to make sure your care is taken care of. It's commendable. I'm the same way. Fact is, most likely, even 248 miles of hard driving is not going to have a detrimental effect on the car.

Take this as a lesson. You're the one in power when you walk into a dealership. The moment you walked in there and weren't prepared to walk out, if need be, you put them in the driver's seat. Theyr'e trained, seasoned and typically can pick up on that quickly. I'm really sorry you feel your experience was so poor. I know you don't want to hear it but you have noone to blame but yourself. That's a kickass car. Go enjoy it for goodness sake.
Old 01-11-06 | 07:48 PM
dmz
Rookie

Nine,
You have a nice new car There is absolutely no reason for you to feel bad about your purchase. The more you talk to some of the **** people from this forum the worst you will feel. A car will never stay perfect after you drive it off the dealership. You will get more nicks and scratch as you drive your car more. Who cares? they add character and remind you that you bought your car to be driven and not to be stored in the garage. If you feel bad about your situation just go out and take a drive on a open road nearby and you should will feel better again. Get over the little detail and enjoy your new car!
Old 01-11-06 | 08:07 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the comments and opinions, I will definitely take this as learning experience and keep in mind when I purchase my next car or any other big purchase.
Old 01-11-06 | 08:12 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

There is no discrepency now, I am over it, they will replace my grill, i will never buy a car from them again. Nothing more. I have been only answer people's comments to me, some of which were offensive. These people are telling me the dealer did nothing wrong, they did they lied to me when I first asked about the mileage and held off until the last minute when the car was all prepared.

Let me repeat I have just been replying to members who have been telling me the dealership did nothing wrong and my bad purchase experience was all my fault.

I am just posting these pic because another member wanted to see grey interior in black.
Don't even sweat it, My friend bought a 2000 bmw 323ci as a demo, with about 4,000 miles on it, and he now has over 120,000 miles on it and the engine is still running strong, so i'm sure
your lexus motor has not been harmed at all..

I also think the dealer should of went out to the car personally and checked the miles
b4 he gave you his word, that was sneaky on his part,, but then again, he is a "car salesman"..
Old 01-11-06 | 08:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks everyone for your input, this thread has run its course and the questions / issues have been resolved