IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 09:27 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?

I made a post last night after I bought my black 350, and was wondering if it was a demo since it had 140 miles on it.

Well, today I see that there is a "Lexus of Englewood" sticker logo above the Lexus sign on the back of the car. Which means this car was specifically assigned as a demo.

Before I signed the papers I asked the sales manager to give me in writing that this car was not a demo and he gave me something.

If there are any legal experts please help me what I can do about this. I should have known but I bought this car because I drove 50 miles to buy a car at a different dealer but when the salesman offered me so little for my trade-in so I went to the next dealership and bought the car.

I probably won't be able to make them take the car back unless I take some serious legal action. Can I at least try to get some money back from them since they told me the car was "new?"

Also I found that there is some peeling/cracking of paint near the front grill Lexus emblem. Shouldn't they give me a new grill. I know I bought the car yesterday and won't be able to talk to them until monday, but I did ask the manager if he would take care of problems when I get a better look at the vehicle (I received the car when it got dark).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?-grill_1.jpg  
Old 01-07-06, 09:32 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Demo?

Hi,
It's somewhat difficult to make a preliminary assessment of your situation without at least undertaking a cursory review of all the relevant paperwork.

I'm curious, didn't you see that the car had 140 miles before you bought it?

M-
Old 01-07-06, 09:36 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I'm assuming you bought your car at Lexus of Englewood? Perhaps they sticker every car they sell? I know of a few dealerships that do that. 140 miles isn't a lot as real demo models have up to 4,000 miles on them. As for the front emblem, isn't that plastic? Those plastic parts weren't always perfect from what I remember. I'm sure they can replace it.
I doubt there's much recourse you can do now that you drove car off lot. Even though it was dark, you can still see 140 miles on odo and contract. California has a no cooling off period law meaning no buyers remorse.
Anyone familiar with laws in NJ?

Personally, I'd let it go about the demo thing and just enjoy the new car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-07-06, 09:38 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmartinace
Hi,
It's somewhat difficult to make a preliminary assessment of your situation without at least undertaking a cursory review of all the relevant paperwork.

I'm curious, didn't you see that the car had 140 miles before you bought it?

M-

What do you mean by that?

Right before I signed the papers I asked to see the car and saw that there was 140 miles, then I spoke with the sales manager and asked him why there so many miles on a new car. He told me that people did test drive it but it was not assigned as a demo and gave me in writing and signed it.
Old 01-07-06, 09:40 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

heres a close up of the cracking/peeling
Attached Thumbnails Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?-grill_2.jpg  
Old 01-07-06, 09:40 PM
bem0626
Driver School Candidate

The Lexus of Inglewood emblem does not necessarily mean the car was used as a demo....it was probably acquired from that dealership and driven to the one you purchased it at...which would account for the 140 miles. That's my best guess. Good Luck!
Old 01-07-06, 09:49 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
What do you mean by that?

Right before I signed the papers I asked to see the car and saw that there was 140 miles, then I spoke with the sales manager and asked him why there so many miles on a new car. He told me that people did test drive it but it was not assigned as a demo and gave me in writing and signed it.
Ok then??? If you saw that it already had miles on it, you could've stop there and told him that you wanted a very very low mileage brand spanking new IS! Thats your fault! Could've picked another car from the lot! And if there wasn't any of what you wanted then you could've waited!
Old 01-07-06, 09:55 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Probably not much you can do. As the milage is listed on the bill of sale you signed, acknowledging that fact. Personally I wouldn't take delivery with more that 9.9 miles on the ODO.

I don't know about NJ, but there is no cooling off (buyers remorse) period in CA.

I did ask the manager if he would take care of problems
NEVER take delivery of a car at night!
ALWAYS take someone with you to look over the vehicle while you're doing the paperwork!

What constitutes a demo? That it's dedicated for "test drives" only, and not for sale? That's open for interpretation. Nothing you can do about that. If it had been previously titled, then it would be classified as used. Then you could likely do something about that if it were sold to you as "new".
Old 01-07-06, 10:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, you're probably making more out of this than you should. Don't let your suspicions ruin your purchase. When I got my car, it barely had any miles on it but I was pretty sure it went over some rough seas and was probably tossed around on the way over and I was very concerned....well, never mind; that was a joke. Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, my car has about 1500 miles on it and it is nearly perfect. I would ask them to fix the grill, no problem there. And anything else you might find, they should fix that too just like they would for any other new car. But they can give you those 140 miles back, those are lost...you need to let that go. I'm not a lawyer but I'm almost positive (read 99.9%) there is no cooling off period or buyer's remourse in any state in this country for new car purchases.
Old 01-07-06, 10:37 PM
dmz
Rookie

Sound like your car was use for a few test drived. But I don't think it was a demo. 140 miles is too low for a demo car.
Old 01-07-06, 11:20 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

if your car was in fact a demo and they said in writing it wasnt then have them give you couple hundred dollars back or even more if they refuse threaten to sue them. Thats what I would do if in fact it was turely a car marked demo.

140 miles is really low to be a demo. The last demo I drove has over then 3000 miles on it.

Just enjoy the car and have them replace the grill.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 01-07-06 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-07-06, 11:20 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I personally do not think your car was a demo. When I was buying my car at Lexus of Mission Viejo, I had my saleman to look for a car under 10 miles and it really took a while to find one. Most of the car they had has over 100 miles each and I was told that a lot of not so serious people came by to dealer and drove the car. One car even had 300+ miles, one had 180 miles, and the tungsten one i really liked (with navi) had 95 miles.

That said, I dont think your car was a demo. Just enjoy the car.

Btw, congrats on your purchase.
Old 01-08-06, 02:35 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each manufacturer has different rules about how many miles a new car can have. For instance, BMW does not allow any car to be sold as new with more than 180 miles on the odo. If a car has 170 miles then that car won't be taken for a test drive. Needless to say, 140 miles isn't bad. I cant confirm this as its what a dealer told me.
Old 01-08-06, 03:52 AM
knox_sport
Driver

Default agreed

Originally Posted by kensteele
As others have said, you're probably making more out of this than you should. Don't let your suspicions ruin your purchase. When I got my car, it barely had any miles on it but I was pretty sure it went over some rough seas and was probably tossed around on the way over and I was very concerned....well, never mind; that was a joke. Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, my car has about 1500 miles on it and it is nearly perfect. I would ask them to fix the grill, no problem there. And anything else you might find, they should fix that too just like they would for any other new car. But they can give you those 140 miles back, those are lost...you need to let that go. I'm not a lawyer but I'm almost positive (read 99.9%) there is no cooling off period or buyer's remourse in any state in this country for new car purchases.
I have to agree with Kensteele on this one...

First of all, a sticker on the back doesn't indicate a demo. Our local dealer puts their name on the back of every car.

Second, your opinion that 140 miles makes it a demo is just that, your OPINION. It could have been dealer transferred and driven there like someone else said. Or, a few people could have test driven the car but decided the color combo/etc wasn't what they really wanted. Who doesn't want to drive the new IS?

Third, you bought the car. Were your eyes closed during the drive/inspection? If your stomach didn't churn a little seeing 140 miles on the odo then you were so in awe of the car that you didn't care. So why care now? You need to take responsibility for your choice.

Have them fix the grille under warranty and move on. All this DRAMA is killing me
Old 01-08-06, 05:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

you gotta take it easy man, 140 miles really makes it an fast sold demo :-).

Almost compares to the dude that came back to our dealership yelling at us that we stole his tires, it turns out they were rotated... it was 7 days long drama with the dude.

Quick Reply: Dealer sold me a demo as new, what can I do about it?