IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Red Out Taillight DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 10:37 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was browsing through the rvinyl website and it seems they have a pre-cut kit now.

http://www.rvinyl.com/cart/store.php...on=show_detail

has anybody tried this and see if its exactly like those rvinyl examples that have been previously posted?
Old 09-15-06, 10:50 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
i was browsing through the rvinyl website and it seems they have a pre-cut kit now.
yup, just saw that the other night too.

i'm sure people will be trying it out pretty soon....can't wait to see the pics
Old 09-16-06, 05:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea my rvinyl was pre cut, matches the lights exactly
Old 11-24-06, 09:13 PM
maz
Lead Lap

I just did the redouts. Ordered the smallest size sheet from rvinyl.com and I still have enough left to do three more sets. The toughest part was getting all the air bubbles out once I applied it to the light. Now here's the million dollar question:

Is it legal in California for the turn signals to flash red instead of amber?
Old 11-24-06, 09:28 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maz
Is it legal in California for the turn signals to flash red instead of amber?
Of course it is... almost all American cars blink red instead of amber... even the BMW 3 series blink red now...
Old 11-24-06, 09:39 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Good to know it's legal. Has anyone been able to change out the bulb and have it blink amber. I think if it blinks amber it better shows your intent to switch lanes to other drivers.
Old 11-24-06, 11:07 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maz
I think if it blinks amber it better shows your intent to switch lanes to other drivers.
I agree... I prefer it to blink amber... its safer overall its much clearer to other drivers what you're doing. Just driving along I get confused sometimes when i get caught off guard and see a blink of red come on... for a split second I cant tell if its brakes lights or blinkers...

But the answer is no. I think someone has tried putting in Orange bulbs but with the red vinyl it'll still blink red... nothing we can do.
Old 11-25-06, 04:29 AM
livinitup7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck

http://www.rvinyl.com/cart/store.php...on=show_detail

has anybody tried this and see if its exactly like those rvinyl examples that have been previously posted?
Just bought these and they look great.
Old 11-26-06, 12:47 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

I just ordered and got my rvinyls, but haven't put them on yet. Now I'm thinking I prefer it to blink amber when turning. It would be nice if they were clear with a yellow bulb like the BMW's 5-series lights. What color do they blink when they are smoked?
Old 11-26-06, 01:02 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexuspdx
It would be nice if they were clear with a yellow bulb like the BMW's 5-series lights.
Actually it would be better if they were red and blinked yellow like mercedes... even the jetta and vw bug i believe blinks amber but looks red...
Old 11-26-06, 01:11 AM
Fleainat
Pole Position

I redded-out my signals for a couple weeks recently, but I just recently took them off because I couldn't deal with the fact there were a couple bubbles on my lights. Also, there the tinting makes that section a little darker, so it stands out. Also, the edges, don't lie down perfectly -- I just really didn't like having a flawed car. I would guess the 2008 model will have red tail lights to entice more buyers. (in my pic is red on the left and orange on the right, but in person the red one doesn't look nearly as good)
Attached Thumbnails Red Out Taillight DIY-brakes-012.jpg  
Old 11-26-06, 01:48 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Actually it would be better if they were red and blinked yellow like mercedes... even the jetta and vw bug i believe blinks amber but looks red...

YES! Even better!

"Also, there the tinting makes that section a little darker, so it stands out."
Fleainat... Did you use aerotect or rvinyl?
Old 11-26-06, 11:57 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fleainat
I redded-out my signals for a couple weeks recently, but I just recently took them off because I couldn't deal with the fact there were a couple bubbles on my lights. Also, there the tinting makes that section a little darker, so it stands out. Also, the edges, don't lie down perfectly -- I just really didn't like having a flawed car. I would guess the 2008 model will have red tail lights to entice more buyers. (in my pic is red on the left and orange on the right, but in person the red one doesn't look nearly as good)
you have to be patient with the install. Go slowly and apply it on very carefully. I have no bubbles what-so-ever. Try it again.... Also I used rvinyl and they're nearly an identical match. Aerotech's are darker in tint. I didnt like them. I've seen them in person side by side at the aerotech meet.
Old 11-26-06, 01:41 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuspdx
YES! Even better!

"Also, there the tinting makes that section a little darker, so it stands out."
Fleainat... Did you use aerotect or rvinyl?
Good point -- it actually was aerotect so maybe that's why. They actually had great customer service because I messed up the first time and they sent me a second set free. But I still had bubbles in that one, so I ended up just giving up.

Those of you that had successful installs, how were you able to get the tint to be completely flush all the way around? The edge of the signal has a sharp edge, so I wasn't able to get the tint to cover all the orange plastic unless the tint hung off a little.
Old 11-26-06, 02:13 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fleainat
Good point -- it actually was aerotect so maybe that's why. They actually had great customer service because I messed up the first time and they sent me a second set free. But I still had bubbles in that one, so I ended up just giving up.

Those of you that had successful installs, how were you able to get the tint to be completely flush all the way around? The edge of the signal has a sharp edge, so I wasn't able to get the tint to cover all the orange plastic unless the tint hung off a little.
i got the rvinyl one and the install was easy. all i did was soak the entire strip into soap water and just placed it in place. got an old credit card and scrapped out all the water and air bubbles. then got a squeege and pushed down hard on the strip. i wasnt patient either and it turned out great.

Quick Reply: Red Out Taillight DIY