IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oem Hid

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 08:26 PM
Tropheus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem Hid

Hi, can someone with OEM HID post a picture of their light pattern? I want to compare it to that of aftermarket HID in the stock halogen projector. I wonder if Lexus would use the same projector for both halogen and HID?? But then of course they shouldn't and wouldn't. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-06, 12:21 AM
lexus27
Pit Crew

Tropheus,

I also have the same "uneven" beam on my aftermarket HID install. Each beam is uneven.
They each look like they are notched on one end. You're probably familiar with the following picture. I tried adjusting the level (up/down) on each, but it remained uneven. It seems to me there is a piece of metal or plastic that blocks the top portion of the beam. In a way it makes sense to have it there as a projected light will be somewhat circular. That's why in bi-xenon applications, they use a baffle to block the top of the beam for low beam operation and move the baffle out of the way for high beam operation. With just the halogen, it probably wasn't bright enough for us to notice the uneveness of each beam, unlike with our bright HID's.
Old 01-10-06, 05:46 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus27
Tropheus,

I also have the same "uneven" beam on my aftermarket HID install. Each beam is uneven.
They each look like they are notched on one end. You're probably familiar with the following picture. I tried adjusting the level (up/down) on each, but it remained uneven. It seems to me there is a piece of metal or plastic that blocks the top portion of the beam. In a way it makes sense to have it there as a projected light will be somewhat circular. That's why in bi-xenon applications, they use a baffle to block the top of the beam for low beam operation and move the baffle out of the way for high beam operation. With just the halogen, it probably wasn't bright enough for us to notice the uneveness of each beam, unlike with our bright HID's.
it's normal (for both xenon and halogen lights) to have the driver's side "clipped" to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic--it's less obvious in halogen light due to the lower output.
Old 01-10-06, 06:42 AM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

yes mine do exactly the same w/ aftermarket HIDs at first i thought it was the HID itself... but since u posted this pic, than mine looks exactly the same.
Old 01-10-06, 08:43 AM
Tropheus
Driver School Candidate

Just for experimentation sake I took out my XD HID yesterday and put the stock halogen bulbs back in. Guess what, the driver side clip IS there. It's just less noticable due to the lower light outut. Something that I totally didn't notice before I installed the HID. That's why I was wondering if Lexus uses the same halogen projectors for HID....

Anyone with stock HID care to post some pictures of your light pattern?

I'm now thinking of pursuing the OEM retrofit route. Although the aftermarket HID look quite decent inside the stock halogen projectors, I just can't get over the "clipped" driver side beam.
Old 01-10-06, 08:51 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tropheus
Just for experimentation sake I took out my XD HID yesterday and put the stock halogen bulbs back in. Guess what, the driver side clip IS there. It's just less noticable due to the lower light outut. Something that I totally didn't notice before I installed the HID. That's why I was wondering if Lexus uses the same halogen projectors for HID....

Anyone with stock HID care to post some pictures of your light pattern?

I'm now thinking of pursuing the OEM retrofit route. Although the aftermarket HID look quite decent inside the stock halogen projectors, I just can't get over the "clipped" driver side beam.
the oem HID also has the clipped pattern--it's for safety--you'll get used to it. Plus, you don't want other people flashing you because you are blinding them. This is not Lexus-exclusive, you'll the same clipped design on European cars, esp. those with projector lamps, with their better defined cutoff.

Last edited by jlin101; 01-10-06 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-10-06, 09:14 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

off topic..

have you guys heard of Dynamics HID???? are they good??

what color does it show for 6000k??
Old 09-11-06, 12:28 AM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

Ok. Back on topic. Can someone confirm the original question?
I'd really like to know if the same projector is used in the OEM HID and the halogen.

Originally Posted by Tropheus
Hi, can someone with OEM HID post a picture of their light pattern? I want to compare it to that of aftermarket HID in the stock halogen projector. I wonder if Lexus would use the same projector for both halogen and HID?? But then of course they shouldn't and wouldn't. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-06, 01:11 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OKOK.

It is called a "STEP" for the uneven beam pattern you guys are talking about. For LHD cars, the Step goes to the right. For RHD, the Step goes to the left.

As for are the projectors the same between Halogen and OEM HID?

Very differant. OEM HID's are Bi-Xenon Projectors. Meaning as, The sheild that creates the STEP flips down and allows the full amount of light to be released for creating the High Beam.

The OEM HID's have two sets of High Beams.
1. 9005
2. From the Bi-Xenon projector.

The bowl of the OEM HID's are much differant as well. I do not have two of them to compare side by side, but i am certain there is a differance.

From comparing the CTR Honda Halogen Projector with the CTR HID Projector, the only differance is the Projector Bowl and Sheild.

I assume the differance from the Halogen and HID version would differ as well for the IS.

Please also note that the New IS utilizes D4S system which is much brighter then the AFTERMARKET D2S systems many have installed into their Halogen Version IS.

The D4S System produces Higher Kelvins (Rated at 4800K for OE Philips) and is estimated to produce 3400-3600 Lumens.

The previous versions of the D2S System produces decent kelvins (Rated at 4200K for OE Philips) and is estimated to produce 3200 Lumens.

For the D2S Systems, the higher the Kelvins, the bluer the color, hence weaker output. For all of you that have installed 6000K HID Xenon Systems, you are producing 2800 Lumens.

When you compare your 6000K to the D4S 4800K, you are at 600-800 Lumens at weaker then OE IS HID.
Old 09-11-06, 09:52 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my Aftermarket HID I turn on the low beam and foglights (both HID) 8000k... After I heard istundra I think I am going to change it to 5000k for low beam and 3000k(yellow) for the foglight later when anyone of those 8000k breaks
Attached Thumbnails Oem Hid-hid.jpg  

Last edited by ISbb; 09-12-06 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-11-06, 11:24 PM
istundra
Pole Position

ISBB,

In addition to the OEM D4S Bi-Xenon Projectors, I have added 4200K HID Xenon Bulbs. The output is matches great. I will update this thread once i get pictures.

For the 4200K HID Kit, I used OEM Matsu****a D2S/D2R Ballast w/ Halogen2HID 9006 D2S HID Xenon Bulbs.

According to the JDM HID Foglamp option we have seen resale for 1400 USD, those are also OEM Matsu****a D2S Systems w/ Philips Bulbs.

I chose this route becuase I wanted OEM HID Equipment (Bulbs & Ballast) at a fraction of the 1400 JDM HID Foglamp option (Foglamps, Bulbs & Ballast)
Old 09-11-06, 11:25 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISbb
Here is my Aftermarket HID I turn on the low beam and foglights (both HID) 8000k... After I heard istundra I think I am going to change it to 5000k for low beam and 3000k(yellow) for the foglight later when anyone of those 8000k brakes
5000K Lowbeams and 3000K fogs? Great combo!
Old 09-12-06, 08:45 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by istundra
5000K Lowbeams and 3000K fogs? Great combo!
Well have to see how much are they cost first... Since you were so good about the HID or lighting things... I would like to ask, the lower the K is get brighter it will?

Last edited by ISbb; 09-12-06 at 08:49 AM.