IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

already sick of the IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06 | 03:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately you found out about your true feelings about the car after you bought it. I thought the IS was going to be the right car for me, but once it came out I realized it was not and that is why I'm not buying one.

I don't think anyone flamed this guy personally, but if he really does own an IS350, he can say whatever he wants about his own car. It's not like he was a troll trying to start things up with a car he doesn't even own. He is just giving his opinion about the car he owns. the first couple posts all flamed his other cars that were not even mentioned though. I can see the EVO, Mazda 6, and M5 getting into the discussion since he compared the Mazda and M5 to the IS. The EVO is in his signature. But how did the Acura bashing start with the girlie TSX comment?

Yes, this is an IS forum, but that doesn't mean every single posts has to be in favor of the IS. no car is perfect. Not even the IS.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:03 PM
Penforhire
Rookie

I know this isn't the general automotive forum but I have to respond to the RX-8 fan. Handles better than an Elise? I know you read it in a magazine but that's drinking the Kool-Aid. Try finding out what class the RX-8 fits in SCCA Solo2 auto-x and that will tell you how it really handles. And prepare to be disappointed. As in humbled, by the S2000 you're putting down. And trounced badly by the Elise. Since when is a 911 Turbo a handling benchmark? The C5 Z06 beats its handling and matches its acceleration.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Penforhire
I know this isn't the general automotive forum but I have to respond to the RX-8 fan. Handles better than an Elise? I know you read it in a magazine but that's drinking the Kool-Aid. Try finding out what class the RX-8 fits in SCCA Solo2 auto-x and that will tell you how it really handles. And prepare to be disappointed. As in humbled, by the S2000 you're putting down. And trounced badly by the Elise. Since when is a 911 Turbo a handling benchmark? The C5 Z06 beats its handling and matches its acceleration.
Elise> any car at the track. You just can't beat 2000lbs, you just can't.
911 turbo>C5 Z06 at the track. Acceleration is even for both but the 911 is just more poised at speed and still the handling benchmark all other sports cars are judged.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:10 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Dude, Gaijin, you're pretty much stuck with your decision. Just upgrade the stuff you can when they come out with good stuff (suspension, intake, exhaust, wheels, tires, aero kit if you like). You do that and I'm sure you'll be turning a lot of heads including many an S2000, sti, evo owners head - not to mention older M5 - I would think by going the MOD route, you would be able to bring the IS to meet some or all of your requirements that you set before you made your purchasing decision - maybe sporty yet luxurious vehicle in a great looking package. The IS350 is a damn nice car - everytime I see one while driving around in my van I can't believe my wife drives that $h!t.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:21 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
For people who want handling why all this talk about an S2K? Go drive the Mazda RX-8. It blows the S2k out of the water and in situations when AWD is not needed it would destroy both the EVO and the WRX.
nothing could be further from the truth. and test driving one won't tell you how well the thing handles around long sweeper turns and short hairpins at the track. It may be some indication of how the car would do in an autocross, but that's about the extent of it.

The RX-8 is a neutered car, and the S2000 would run circles around it at the track. Ive seen it happen time and time again at the track. Well, not circles, but you get the idea.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:22 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak
CL Folding 1M

Wow.. here is my take:

First the cars I have owned in the last 5 years, I think this lets me have a good opinion on this thread:

2000 S2000
2001 S2000
2002 MDX-T
2003 TL Type S
2004 Subaru Sti
2005 Honda Pilot EXL

And in 2 weeks:

2006 IS350 Sport/ML/Navigation

Wow... I really don’t think you did your homework on the IS350. Trying to compare it to an S2000 and an Evo/Sti is ludicrous. This clearly wasn’t the car for you. I would admit that I felt this way about my TL Type S which is why I only kept it for a year but that was compounded mainly by the fact that it was FWD. But it was my car between the S2000 and the Sti. The IS350 is truly sport luxury. Its fast and I suspect that it will handle great. Did you not get the sport model? Do I think its going to handle better then my Sti or S2000... hell no. But damn man, that TL was so nice, I could drive down the road at 70 and hear pins dropping. the Is350 is the perfect car for me now at 32 with 2 kids. I’m in a professional job and people give me crap for the Sti.. its does not purvey maturity and the Evo.. especially modd'ed is 15 times worse.

Don’t blame the car man... your the one who fluffed this up.

The IS350 excelled in what it targets to be. I was looking at M3’s. Sticker price $60000. I think this car makes BWM look silly (as usual) in the amount they charge for their cars. The M3 performs better of course but if you put that down to paper compared to an IS and its options… an M3 should be selling for $40K. I don’t suspect it would take much to make an I350 perform as well as an M3 (modifications wise).
Old 01-11-06 | 03:22 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
Actually the only car that handles better than the RX-8 is the Porsche 911 turbo. Any other street legal car (including the mini) doesn't come close. This is from various Road and Track mags.
what the heck are you basing this on?

pure lateral G's?
subjective impressions by the car mag drivers?
tuned potential?

there are plenty of cars in product that handle better than both the Rx-8 AND the Porsche 911.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:28 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

I had similar issues with my STi. After the initial "newness" wore off the car was a little bland. A few mods later the passion was back and still is. If the suspension is too soft and vague springs/coilovers and sway bars will help. Wheels and tires will help the steering issues. You have invested a lot spend a few more$$ and get what you were expecting. Too many cars today are built for the masses. Soft suspension, slow steering, fat heavy cars. Fortunately the aftermarket helps out us enthusists to dial them in properly.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gaijin
I was spoiled by the handling of my S2K and the Evo, but I feel like my Mazda 6 had better driving dynamics than the Lex. I apologize for the flame comment as you guys are much more mature than people on the other forums I belong to.

I financed 48k because I took a bath on my S2k. I bought it for $20,600 plus fees and put 2k down in June. After 5 payments, my payoff was $19, 500 and I only got $17,500 on trade for an '02 with 27,000 miles. There was a $2,000 mile add to the book value because of the low miles, but when you trade a car it doesn't factor, only when you buy it. I think I paid like $42,500 for my IS with Luxory and nav plus ttl plus payoff equals $48k. Now if I figure my IS is worth what, like $38k maybe, then I am $10k flipped so I can't exactly just go trade it for a different car.

The car I originally was thinking about was like a '91 M5. I have always wanted one and I love the way those drive. I'm not a fan of most newer cars except the Evos because I think they capture the pure driving sensation that the older E30 M3s and those M5s possessed. I was looking for a car that would have a similar feel to that older M5 while still have enough luxory and comfort for daily driving.
I didn't read the entire thread so someone else may have said this. Sounds like you're stuck...you owe way too much to easily get out of the car. Just change the suspension when pieces become available. Sick some nice wheels on it. Sit back and enjoy it. Lexus always means luxury first, sport second...or not at all. That's the great thing about modding, you can create what makes you feel good. You'l never get rid of the cramped feeling. I felt claustrophobic just sitting in it for 5 minutes. It's definitely not for me or any big person. Enjoy it...looks like you have little choice in the matter.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:50 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
If the weight of the car is an issue for you, you probably don't want to be in the entry luxury sport sedan segment. The difference in weight among this car, the 330i, and the G35 (it's two closest competitors) is less than 100 lbs. Take one passenger with you and that is more or less the difference. You are probably just spoiled by your S2k
probably

it feels heavy to turn this car..
Old 01-11-06 | 03:54 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gaijin
The interior on the Evo VIII is ugly, but it is a purpose built car and you can definately tell that the interior is more of an afterthought. The interior in the IX is much improved, but still won't match that on pretty much any other car in the same price range.

I don't really care about interior design as much as driving feel. The M3 would have probably been the best choice for me, but I have friends that have already had them, so I wanted something new.

I am not comparing the handling of the IS to the Evo, just to cars like the '91 M5 whose driving dynamics I was hoping would be paralleled in this car. It seemed like a pretty fair request, but I think that Lexus has missed the sports sedan mark a little and just made another sedan with a kick *** engine.

Audi A4, Bimmer 3 series, Infiniti G35, Acura TL

Of all those that you mentioned, there is a reason the 3 series always wins when mags do comparos. It is the only true sports sedan on that list. I don't think that the other car makers quite get that it is about the total balance between all the aspects of performance. I don't want a 3 series because they are too common. I was hoping for something a little more unique and I liked being one of the first people in my area to have the new IS.

If Pugeot or Renault make it over here with some of there sport sedan offerings, that might be a little more up my ally. I was also considering an S60R so maybe some of you can see where I am going with this.
oh man, when i was in tw 2 months ago i was driving around my brother's pugeot 206 and all i can say is . i went to the dealer with him to check out some other models and just

maybe just the one they sent to TW but yea.. not something i like
Old 01-11-06 | 03:59 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by keeeeez
Dude, Gaijin, you're pretty much stuck with your decision. Just upgrade the stuff you can when they come out with good stuff (suspension, intake, exhaust, wheels, tires, aero kit if you like). You do that and I'm sure you'll be turning a lot of heads including many an S2000, sti, evo owners head - not to mention older M5 - I would think by going the MOD route, you would be able to bring the IS to meet some or all of your requirements that you set before you made your purchasing decision - maybe sporty yet luxurious vehicle in a great looking package. The IS350 is a damn nice car - everytime I see one while driving around in my van I can't believe my wife drives that $h!t.
this will probably cost him another 10k
Old 01-11-06 | 04:03 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shaolin
this will probably cost him another 10k
Better than losing it on his trade-in, I guess.
Old 01-11-06 | 04:12 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by keeeeez
Better than losing it on his trade-in, I guess.
if he trade the IS he'll lose 10g?? that much??
Old 01-11-06 | 04:17 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shaolin
if he trade the IS he'll lose 10g?? that much?? "payoff equals $48k. Now if I figure my IS is worth what, like $38k maybe, then I am $10k flipped so I can't exactly just go trade it for a different car."

Yup.. 10G Pretty much.

Quick Reply: already sick of the IS