Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06 | 04:20 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

sell it private.....is the only way. people will buy it
Old 01-11-06 | 04:42 PM
Penforhire
Rookie

If you want to pick a Porsche (below the GT) and claim it is a benchmark at least pick the GT3. The Turbo was made for straight lines by comparison. And here's a tip, even the Elise is not that impressive from the factory (again beaten by a C5 Z06). Low weight does NOT beat all.
Old 01-11-06 | 04:52 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Originally Posted by gaijin
The interior on the Evo VIII is ugly, but it is a purpose built car and you can definately tell that the interior is more of an afterthought. The interior in the IX is much improved, but still won't match that on pretty much any other car in the same price range.

I don't really care about interior design as much as driving feel. The M3 would have probably been the best choice for me, but I have friends that have already had them, so I wanted something new.

I am not comparing the handling of the IS to the Evo, just to cars like the '91 M5 whose driving dynamics I was hoping would be paralleled in this car. It seemed like a pretty fair request, but I think that Lexus has missed the sports sedan mark a little and just made another sedan with a kick *** engine.

Audi A4, Bimmer 3 series, Infiniti G35, Acura TL

Of all those that you mentioned, there is a reason the 3 series always wins when mags do comparos. It is the only true sports sedan on that list. I don't think that the other car makers quite get that it is about the total balance between all the aspects of performance. I don't want a 3 series because they are too common. I was hoping for something a little more unique and I liked being one of the first people in my area to have the new IS.

If Pugeot or Renault make it over here with some of there sport sedan offerings, that might be a little more up my ally. I was also considering an S60R so maybe some of you can see where I am going with this.
I can relate to your experience. I drove the 3series and IS350 back to back and I was moved by the amount of power IS had even though the 3 series handled beautifully. If had to buy a car that day I would have probably purchased the IS but lucky there was no sales at TasteofLexus. I suggest you to hold on to the IS for another year and wait for the new M3.
Old 01-11-06 | 05:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Penforhire
If you want to pick a Porsche (below the GT) and claim it is a benchmark at least pick the GT3. The Turbo was made for straight lines by comparison. And here's a tip, even the Elise is not that impressive from the factory (again beaten by a C5 Z06). Low weight does NOT beat all.
There isn't a server big enough to hold all the links showing the 911, a base 911, has superior handling to a Vette, let alone a GT3, or a GT3-RS or an AWD 911 Turbo, or a C4S. The turbo was not made for straight lines, NO PORSCHE is. The GT2 may be so scary, that people only want to drive it hard in a straight line but that suspension was changed in 2004.

I like the vette, C5, beautiful car, power and bang for the buck and performance mods to boot. its not a handling champ by any means. It can hold its own, its not near sloppy but not near 911 levels.

low weight does help most in an autocross and overall performance. That is why the McLaren F1 at 2300lbs is still considered by many to be the greatest performance car of all time.

Anybody with enough money and time can add power, turbos, more power, S/c, to a car and make it faster.

Even the Enzos, Murchialagos, etc are all pigs compared to the F1.
Old 01-11-06 | 05:51 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Well I won't get that 15 minutes of my life back, that I wasted on these five pages of responses.
I mean, show up on a Lexus forum and post something that whacked? He wanted flame.

I agree with Ken, TSX = no comparison, c.mon FWD? elimination right there.
Renault, Peugeot = Its French ! and they are really known for great cars

G35 upgrade ? Pleeeeeeease. Have you seen a more boring car?
$48 K price? do I have a deal for you !! I have a nice summer villa on the Gulf of Mexico for sale.
BMW, ooooh driving machine. Blah Blah Blah, but they just can't get that electronics thing worked out just right can they?

quote, "IS350. It's bland, boring and has no character."

That is so gay ! Get back to the Malibu message board where you belong. Tired of this crap
Old 01-11-06 | 06:03 PM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

how about even trade for my is300? :] haha JK
Old 01-11-06 | 09:14 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Well I won't get that 15 minutes of my life back, that I wasted on these five pages of responses.
I mean, show up on a Lexus forum and post something that whacked? He wanted flame.

I agree with Ken, TSX = no comparison, c.mon FWD? elimination right there.
Renault, Peugeot = Its French ! and they are really known for great cars

G35 upgrade ? Pleeeeeeease. Have you seen a more boring car?
$48 K price? do I have a deal for you !! I have a nice summer villa on the Gulf of Mexico for sale.
BMW, ooooh driving machine. Blah Blah Blah, but they just can't get that electronics thing worked out just right can they?

quote, "IS350. It's bland, boring and has no character."

That is so gay ! Get back to the Malibu message board where you belong. Tired of this crap
Please do not take this tone guys. The OP has issues with his purchase. Some people love the 2IS. Some will not. Nothing wrong with that. Yes, this is a Lexus board. It is not, however, the "I Blindly Love Lexus" board. We allow positive and negative feedback, as long as it is delivered in a civil manner.

gaijin,
Please read the comments from your fellow owners when they state that you may have expected too much from the IS. Like 1SickLex said, the market for the IS is different than the ones for the other road carvers you compared them to. The IS is not that bad, just not an apples to apples relationship with the other cars. If you dislike it THAT much and you can find an alternative, I'd suggest you take the loss and swap cars. Life is too short to be annoyed by a car everytime you use it. If you can live with it, drive it and see if you will learn to accept the design philoshophy behind Lexus and enjoy the car for what it is.

keeeeez,

I just noticed your sig. Your wife is driving the IS and you are driving the minivan. How did that happen bro?
Old 01-11-06 | 10:55 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I bought my IS with the realization that I spend a whole lot more time stuck behind soccer moms in their minivans and commuting in heavy traffic than I do apexing corners and snaking through winding mountain roads like you see in car commercials.

Maybe it the coolness of the electronic toys, or perhaps I'm still intoxicated by the new car smell, but I'm really enjoying my new car.

Coming from a performance chipped '00 Audi S4 with a stick, I'd be lying if I said there weren't times I miss the involvement of shifting myself, the explosive acceleration of the turbos, and the better steering feel and feedback of my old car. But those feelings fade quickly at the next traffic jam, where the automatic lowers the frustration of plodding along. And I certainly don't miss those unexpected $1200 repair bills that pop up way too often when a German car goes out of warranty.

If, when the new car smell fades, I find myself missing out on driving fun, I'll look to the used car market for a second car (probably a lightweight two seater) that is less practical but very fun-to-drive. That way I'll have the best of both worlds: a fast, luxurious personal sport sedan for the daily commute, and a fun-to-drive weekend car to seek out those twisty mountain roads or to bring to the track.
Old 01-11-06 | 11:58 PM
3erbeatsIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobbo1978
I can relate to your experience. I drove the 3series and IS350 back to back and I was moved by the amount of power IS had even though the 3 series handled beautifully. If had to buy a car that day I would have probably purchased the IS but lucky there was no sales at TasteofLexus. I suggest you to hold on to the IS for another year and wait for the new M3.

I drove a non-Sport version( the G/F is shopping for). My impressions over an extended drive through some nice curves and switchbacks . I thought the handeling was sloppy and felt like I was going to leave the roadway...boardline dangerous... Perhaps the Sport version is totally different. Then again the steering would be the same...Wonderful car im sure. Just not my cup o tea.

Good luck in what you decide.
Old 01-12-06 | 07:31 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3erbeatsIS
I drove a non-Sport version( the G/F is shopping for). My impressions over an extended drive through some nice curves and switchbacks . I thought the handeling was sloppy and felt like I was going to leave the roadway...boardline dangerous... Perhaps the Sport version is totally different. Then again the steering would be the same...Wonderful car im sure. Just not my cup o tea.

Good luck in what you decide.
Wait, handling is sloppy and boarderline dangerous, but you're sure it's a wonderful car? What exactly are you trying to say? I'm you're dissing the car, be more clear about it, so we can all flame you. haha j/k
Old 01-12-06 | 07:53 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
I bought my IS with the realization that I spend a whole lot more time stuck behind soccer moms in their minivans and commuting in heavy traffic than I do apexing corners and snaking through winding mountain roads like you see in car commercials.

If, when the new car smell fades, I find myself missing out on driving fun, I'll look to the used car market for a second car (probably a lightweight two seater) that is less practical but very fun-to-drive. That way I'll have the best of both worlds: a fast, luxurious personal sport sedan for the daily commute, and a fun-to-drive weekend car to seek out those twisty mountain roads or to bring to the track.
I couldn't agree more with these statements. I'm planning on taking my parent's 94 rx-7 (45k miles) off of their hands when I get a place with a garage and some more room.
Old 01-12-06 | 09:23 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I'm pretty happy with my car so far. Before i purchased it i was not under
any dilusions that this would be an awesome handling machine, however
i don't think it handles poorly, it handles just good enough to get you by
considering your not a retard... When i first test drove this car, i thought to myself
this is a smaller verison of the GS430,
and is a bit quicker, handles a bit better, and is a bit smaller and
cheaper,,second thing i thought to myself (Perfect!!!!)

PS, I also think the IS350 looks better than the GS430..
Old 01-12-06 | 11:21 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by gaijin
I absolutely should have waited and shopped, but being in the car business, I hate car shopping more than anybody.
LoL!! We seem to have alot in common..I also had 2 S2k's and I LOVE them. Car business can be very rewarding though But I know what you mean. New car smell is bland now! Good luck w/your IS and I hope you figure out what you wanna do, and we know people do this ALL the time. I just ran a deal the other day where the cust bought an 03 corolla and traded in an 06 Matrix with 586 miles on it!
Old 01-12-06 | 11:30 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tony1
I'm pretty happy with my car so far. Before i purchased it i was not under
any dilusions that this would be an awesome handling machine, however
i don't think it handles poorly, it handles just good enough to get you by
considering your not a retard... When i first test drove this car, i thought to myself
this is a smaller verison of the GS430,
and is a bit quicker, handles a bit better, and is a bit smaller and
cheaper,,second thing i thought to myself (Perfect!!!!)

PS, I also think the IS350 looks better than the GS430..
my sentiment exactly. A sharper-looking, faster-going, more form-fitting GS430, with less impact on the wallet.
Old 01-12-06 | 11:42 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4CYLNDR
The RX-8 is a neutered car, and the S2000 would run circles around it at the track. Ive seen it happen time and time again at the track. Well, not circles, but you get the idea.
I like what he said. Whats up w/the S2K bashing?? It's an awesome car that is TOTALLY different than a sedan or even a 4 seater 4 door. The RX-8 is maybe cute & fun but until you drive an S2000 there is NOTHING close to the "fun factor" of that car.

Quick Reply: already sick of the IS