IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

already sick of the IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06 | 11:45 AM
Francis
Pole Position

You may want to test drive Mini cooper S. It's not common like 330i and it's handle even better than 330i. If you sell your IS and get the Mini Cooper S; you still can have some cash on hand. Good luck.

Francis 99' RX
Old 01-12-06 | 11:55 AM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Well I won't get that 15 minutes of my life back, that I wasted on these five pages of responses.
I mean, show up on a Lexus forum and post something that whacked? He wanted flame.

I agree with Ken, TSX = no comparison, c.mon FWD? elimination right there.
Renault, Peugeot = Its French ! and they are really known for great cars

G35 upgrade ? Pleeeeeeease. Have you seen a more boring car?
$48 K price? do I have a deal for you !! I have a nice summer villa on the Gulf of Mexico for sale.
BMW, ooooh driving machine. Blah Blah Blah, but they just can't get that electronics thing worked out just right can they?

quote, "IS350. It's bland, boring and has no character."

That is so gay ! Get back to the Malibu message board where you belong. Tired of this crap
Thanks for the great post.

I appreciate you guys letting me (well sort of letting me) vent my frustrations with this car. After reading all of your opinions and reconsidering exactly what my issues with this car are, I have basically narrowed it down to the automatic transimission. I didn't want to have to mod this car to like it, but I bet with i/h/e, suspension, wheels and tuning I will like it a lot better, but I still can't compensate for the lack of a manual.

People that know me always give me a hard time 'cause I change my mind pretty much every day on where I stand with my cars. One day I want to strap a gt42r on my Evo and make it a pure drag machine, then the next I go with the ihi tcw77 and set it up for road racing. The same goes with the 2 latest cars I've had, the S2k and now the IS. I got the S2k and was sick of it about a month later. My main beef with that car, was the lack of power and torque. After doing a couple of months of research on forced induction, I decided that it wouldn't make sense to spend all that money modding that car so I traded it for the IS. It has power to spare, and I thought that it would still satisfy the sporting driver in me since it is marketed as a sports sedan.

I should have known that getting a Lexus meant luxury first and sport second. It is my fault that I made that choice, but I feel that if Lexus is really trying to build a 3 series competitor then it should have injected a little more sport into this car. A manual transmission would have gone a long way in my opinion towards accomplishing a sportier feel. It just gives you so much more control and connects you so much more directly to the car.

Last edited by gaijin; 01-12-06 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-12-06 | 11:57 AM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Francis
You may want to test drive Mini cooper S. It's not common like 330i and it's handle even better than 330i. If you sell your IS and get the Mini Cooper S; you still can have some cash on hand. Good luck.

Francis 99' RX

I am actually a big fan of the Coopers. My buddies have a turbo kit for them where you still retain the stock supercharger so it's twin charged. It can make crazy power with the stock block and you can really embarrass some Corvette owners on the highway.
Old 01-12-06 | 12:06 PM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gaijin
I am actually a big fan of the Coopers. My buddies have a turbo kit for them where you still retain the stock supercharger so it's twin charged. It can make crazy power with the stock block and you can really embarrass some Corvette owners on the highway.
Yea but no matter how many ways you slice it.....your still driving a mini cooper! lol
Old 01-12-06 | 12:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the great post.

I appreciate you guys letting me (well sort of letting me) vent my frustrations with this car. After reading all of your opinions and reconsidering exactly what my issues with this car are, I have basically narrowed it down to the automatic transimission. I didn't want to have to mod this car to like it, but I bet with i/h/e, suspension, wheels and tuning I will like it a lot better, but I still can't compensate for the lack of a manual.

People that know me always give me a hard time 'cause I change my mind pretty much every day on where I stand with my cars. One day I want to strap a gt42r on my Evo and make it a pure drag machine, then the next I go with the ihi tcw77 and set it up for road racing. The same goes with the 2 latest cars I've had, the S2k and now the IS. I got the S2k and was sick of it about a month later. My main beef with that car, was the lack of power and torque. After doing a couple of months of research on forced induction, I decided that it wouldn't make sense to spend all that money modding that car so I traded it for the IS. It has power to spare, and I thought that it would still satisfy the sporting driver in me since it is marketed as a sports sedan.

I should have known that getting a Lexus meant luxury first and sport second. It is my fault that I made that choice, but I feel that if Lexus is really trying to build a 3 series competitor then it should have injected a little more sport into this car. A manual transmission would have gone a long way in my opinion towards accomplishing a sportier feel. It just gives you so much more control and connects you so much more directly to the car.
but you did realize you were buying the car with automatic transmission, right? Or did you notice one day while driving? :-).
Old 01-12-06 | 12:57 PM
NO.1_ONR
Driver School Candidate

So this car will feel like a ferari then because I'm used to driving a explorer. Perception is everything I guess. Would you guys say this car has a fast floaty feel to it.
Old 01-12-06 | 02:10 PM
Cypren
Driver

I agree that it might have given the car a sportier "feel", but I'm not sure it would have improved performance all that much. The automatic in the 350 is damn fast -- faster and more responsive than any other auto transmission I've ever driven. In ECT-PWR mode it seems to generally do exactly what I would have done anyway, so while I miss the feel of shifting myself, I don't think it's making a substantial difference.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I understand that you miss the "involvement" of shifting yourself, question just how "off" the ECT is from what you would have done. Maybe it's not that big of a difference anyway, and the feel is just something you can adjust to?

I think the thing I'm most likely to change on this car is the suspension. There's a lot of body roll taking sharp corners, and so far I haven't dared to take a 45mph-rated ramp faster than 85 or 90 -- feels as if pushing much further would start to lose traction. Other than that, no complaints at all. I think a lot of the "it doesn't handle like a BMW" is less about the car's actual handling capabilities and more about adjusting to the more muted feedback... but maybe that's just me.
Old 01-12-06 | 02:57 PM
skynite
Rookie

Thumbs down

Am I the only one that is already sick of my IS350... feel claustrophobic inside.
You're not the only one... My IS in on order and the wait is not helping the situation. When I originally saw the car on the lot, it was love at first sight. But now, after months of waiting on my order, I've begun to lose interest in the car. I too feel claustrophobic inside the small cabin. On one of my visits to the dealer I decided to test out the ML system which was only available on a GS at the time. The GS sounded great and had a lot of room inside. Problem with the GS is the 3 liter engine, no power. Someone mentioned the M35 as a competitor to the GS300 and so I decided to take a look. The M35 is an excellent car much like the GS300 but with more power. Options were also very nice on the M, drop down DVD screen in the back, lots of room. I should have stopped there. I made the mistake of test driving the M45, man that thing is a beast, lots of power and torque. I was set on the M45 until this weeks Detriot show reveal of the LS460. I started to dream of what and when GS460 will arrive. If the GS460 comes out this fall I’ll get it otherwise it’s the M45 with hopefully a 6 speed auto by then. I’m just turned off by the IS at this point. I will be canceling my order next week.
Old 01-12-06 | 03:02 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by Soda
I like what he said. Whats up w/the S2K bashing?? It's an awesome car that is TOTALLY different than a sedan or even a 4 seater 4 door. The RX-8 is maybe cute & fun but until you drive an S2000 there is NOTHING close to the "fun factor" of that car.
Rx8 owners are always putting them up against S2K's even though there is no comparison. The S2K runs circles around it in any way. contrary to what they think.. the Rx8 is NOT a sports car... if it is then my Sti is.. and it aint!

I have yet to see a male driving an Rx8... which makes perfect sense to me for some reason.
Old 01-12-06 | 04:55 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skynite
I made the mistake of test driving the M45, man that thing is a beast, lots of power and torque.
According to every magazine test I've seen, the IS350 is quicker in both 0-60 and the quarter mile.

Between the orange instruments and the big Infiniti logos on the seats, the interior looked pretty garish compared with the IS, while the exterior of the M is pretty generic. For the price, it certainly didn't ring my chimes.
Old 01-12-06 | 05:53 PM
varok
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
According to every magazine test I've seen, the IS350 is quicker in both 0-60 and the quarter mile.

Between the orange instruments and the big Infiniti logos on the seats, the interior looked pretty garish compared with the IS, while the exterior of the M is pretty generic. For the price, it certainly didn't ring my chimes.
Don't forget the fugly tail lights....
Old 01-12-06 | 06:48 PM
RA010324
Driver

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Rx8 owners are always putting them up against S2K's even though there is no comparison. The S2K runs circles around it in any way. contrary to what they think.. the Rx8 is NOT a sports car... if it is then my Sti is.. and it aint!

I have yet to see a male driving an Rx8... which makes perfect sense to me for some reason.
Actually, the RX8 is a sports car.....in fact it has been on Car and Drivers 10 Best list for 2 years running now as the "Sports Coupe of the Year". This car is widely considered to be one of the best (if not THE best) handling RWD sports cars on the market. Here's a bit of what C&D says about it:

"The chassis is as stiff as a double shot of Dewar’s, the steering is laser accurate, the suspension hits the sweet spot between firm and punishing, and the weight distribution is about as close to perfect as perfect gets. We’re talking about the ingredients that distinguish automotive athletes from the plodders—traits that make the car an extension of the driver’s will."

The RX8 was designed as a sports car from the ground up.......and to be quite honest we all know that STi's are just dressed up $13k econo-boxes......and I love STi's too.......a lot.....but if we're talking about attributes of a "true" sports car here, the RX8 has more credentials.

As for the RX8 v.s. the S2000, they are about dead equal in speed and handling......to say the S2000 "runs circles around it" is just wrong.
Old 01-12-06 | 07:27 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by Low J.
Actually, the RX8 is a sports car.....in fact it has been on Car and Drivers 10 Best list for 2 years running now as the "Sports Coupe of the Year". This car is widely considered to be one of the best (if not THE best) handling RWD sports cars on the market. Here's a bit of what C&D says about it:

"The chassis is as stiff as a double shot of Dewar’s, the steering is laser accurate, the suspension hits the sweet spot between firm and punishing, and the weight distribution is about as close to perfect as perfect gets. We’re talking about the ingredients that distinguish automotive athletes from the plodders—traits that make the car an extension of the driver’s will."

The RX8 was designed as a sports car from the ground up.......and to be quite honest we all know that STi's are just dressed up $13k econo-boxes......and I love STi's too.......a lot.....but if we're talking about attributes of a "true" sports car here, the RX8 has more credentials.

As for the RX8 v.s. the S2000, they are about dead equal in speed and handling......to say the S2000 "runs circles around it" is just wrong.
Come on now, that’s ridiculous. Don’t put a 4 door 4 seat car up as a sports car... no one believes it except the few guys that actually own one (or people paid by Mazda). Its a glorified hair dresser car.

Clearly you have a warped since of value. The Sti is not an Evo or a Civic, is based off a $24000+ (WRX) car that base has one of the most advanced AWD systems on the market. Featuring $3K Brembo brakes that match ones found on Porchse 911 turbos, and a DCCDbased AWD system that is the most advanced found on any production car. Trying to stuff an Sti is just goofy. While the S2000 beats an RX8 pretty well (and yes it does), the Sti pounds it into oblivion, you might as well be driving a Geo Metro. the Sti has proven historical race technology. The RX8 has pretty much only proven that its a great car for good looking women.

The Sti goes up against Ferraris on the track... the RX8 gets you a haircut fast.
Old 01-12-06 | 09:05 PM
RA010324
Driver

Come on now, that’s ridiculous. Don’t put a 4 door 4 seat car up as a sports car... no one believes it except the few guys that actually own one (or people paid by Mazda). Its a glorified hair dresser car.
Sorry, you lose this one......the RX8 is classified exclusively as a sports car not only by Mazda but by every car magazine and automotive professional on the planet......and they don't get "paid" by Mazda. This one just isn't even up for debate and the definitive proof is as close as Google.

Clearly you have a warped since of value. The Sti is not an Evo or a Civic, is based off a $24000+ (WRX) car that base has one of the most advanced AWD systems on the market. Featuring $3K Brembo brakes that match ones found on Porchse 911 turbos, and a DCCDbased AWD system that is the most advanced found on any production car. Trying to stuff an Sti is just goofy.
Yeah, the STi is built right alongside the WRX.......and they're both based on the econobox we all know as the Impreza which actually costs $17k these days. As for the specs on an STi, I know every nut and bolt and spec of that car like the back of my hand......that's not news to me. I'm not saying the STi is crap.....like I said, I love them.....3 of my buddies own them......I'm just saying the RX8 has a more pure sporting heritage as it was specifically designed as a sports car whereas the STi was was originally an econobox.

While the S2000 beats an RX8 pretty well (and yes it does), the Sti pounds it into oblivion, you might as well be driving a Geo Metro. the Sti has proven historical race technology. The RX8 has pretty much only proven that its a great car for good looking women.

The Sti goes up against Ferraris on the track... the RX8 gets you a haircut fast.
No, the S2000 does not beat an RX8 pretty well. And although I know this because I read everything there is on cars constantly, you seem to need something other than my word so here's some more info to back this up. As you'll see, there's just about nothing between these 2 cars in any aspect of performance. And just for kicks when looking up this info I came across the "Top Gear" website where incidentally the STi lapped just a little over a second faster than the RX8 on their test track. Anyone who says cars like the RX8, Miata, etc. are just "chick" cars simply doesn't know about cars.

From Automobile Magazine:

"Compared with similarly peaky engines such as the Honda S2000's 240-horsepower, 2.0-liter in-line four-cylinder, the RX-8's rotary is far more drivable thanks to its inherent smoothness and willingness to rev."

From Sport Compact Car

RX-8

0-60 mph: 6.8 sec.
1/4 Mile: 14.9 sec. @ 93.1 mph
Slalom: 70.6 mph (700 ft.)
Skidpad: 90g (200 ft.)
60-0 Braking: 112 ft.

S2000

0-60 mph: 6.4 sec
Quarter Mile time: 14.4 sec @ 97.2 mph
Lateral Grip (200-ft. skidpad): 0.89g
Slalom Speed (700-ft. slalom): 71.0 mph
60-0 Stopping Distance: 113 ft.
Old 01-12-06 | 09:18 PM
izzyracer
Driver

Oh my goddness!... I haven't checked this forum out for a while and now I see this and it's on page 5 already.
I feel you buddy your not alone! I dropped my IS350 a month after and was lucky enough to trade it in with an EVO IX, well I still lost money but it was still worth trading it.

I see you have both, so you got best of both worlds.

I do have an E350 sport package as well besides my EVO now, but when I had the IS350 and finally learned to push all the buttons, boredom came, then my friend let me drove his EVO IX and I have been in a high forever.

Am I the only one that is already sick of my IS350. It's bland, boring and has no character. All my original fears about owning a Lexus are coming true. I was blinded by the acceleration long enough to sign up, but after that wore off I am just bored with the car. Sure it looks alright, and has too many amenities, but the handling sucks, the ride is disconnected and the paddle shifters don't work for *****. They can't get my blue tooth to work right, I spent an hour trying to program my homelink and that still doesn't work and I am starting to feel claustrophobic inside.

I feel like my Mazda6 had more character and was more fun to drive. Even with some after market help (whenever that happens) this will never be a true sports sedan. It is just way too soft and girlie like all Lexi except the previous gen. IS. This car has no edge and is way too watered down trying to appeal to the masses and a global market. I don't think this car will ever succeed in Europe.

Sorry guys, just had to vent. I am pretty depressed about being stuck in this car. I should have bought the used M5 that I was originally after, but I really prefer to buy new cars and I thought this would be an o.k. substitute.

Quick Reply: already sick of the IS