IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

already sick of the IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06 | 10:40 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gaijin

Thanks for all the flaming guys, I wouldn't have expected anything less, though I thought there may have been a couple of sympethizers on here.
Gaijin, no flames here, just us posting our opinions the very same way youv'e done as well. I didn't realize you were in the auto-biz, that seems to make your frequent car jumping more understandable. At any rate, maybe you can learn to tolerate your IS350 until THIS comes out.

Old 01-12-06 | 11:29 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by Low J.
Sorry, you lose this one......the RX8 is classified exclusively as a sports car not only by Mazda but by every car magazine and automotive professional on the planet......and they don't get "paid" by Mazda. This one just isn't even up for debate and the definitive proof is as close as Google.

Yeah, the STi is built right alongside the WRX.......and they're both based on the econobox we all know as the Impreza which actually costs $17k these days. As for the specs on an STi, I know every nut and bolt and spec of that car like the back of my hand......that's not news to me. I'm not saying the STi is crap.....like I said, I love them.....3 of my buddies own them......I'm just saying the RX8 has a more pure sporting heritage as it was specifically designed as a sports car whereas the STi was was originally an econobox.

No, the S2000 does not beat an RX8 pretty well. And although I know this because I read everything there is on cars constantly, you seem to need something other than my word so here's some more info to back this up. As you'll see, there's just about nothing between these 2 cars in any aspect of performance. And just for kicks when looking up this info I came across the "Top Gear" website where incidentally the STi lapped just a little over a second faster than the RX8 on their test track. Anyone who says cars like the RX8, Miata, etc. are just "chick" cars simply doesn't know about cars.

From Automobile Magazine:

"Compared with similarly peaky engines such as the Honda S2000's 240-horsepower, 2.0-liter in-line four-cylinder, the RX-8's rotary is far more drivable thanks to its inherent smoothness and willingness to rev."

From Sport Compact Car

RX-8

0-60 mph: 6.8 sec.
1/4 Mile: 14.9 sec. @ 93.1 mph
Slalom: 70.6 mph (700 ft.)
Skidpad: 90g (200 ft.)
60-0 Braking: 112 ft.

S2000

0-60 mph: 6.4 sec
Quarter Mile time: 14.4 sec @ 97.2 mph
Lateral Grip (200-ft. skidpad): 0.89g
Slalom Speed (700-ft. slalom): 71.0 mph
60-0 Stopping Distance: 113 ft.
Wow. that is the most misleading magazine quoting ive seen in a while. Everyone knows darn well that the 0-60 in 6.4 seconds for the S2000 is WAY underrated . . . talk to anyone that's driven one, or take a survey of the majority of car mag tests, and the s2000 is at least a 0-60 in 5.5 second, 100mph trap-speed car.

Unfortunately, the rx-8 is right on par. 0-60 in abour 6.8 seconds, and now officially slower than the Toyota Rav 4.
Old 01-12-06 | 11:33 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Ok, first of all the paddle shifters on the automatic tranny are just about as good as any other paddle shifter save of course the SMG (which isnt comparable since its a manual). Shifts can occur quickly even when shifting up as long as you ease off the gas. Keeping the gas on while shifting results in a lagged shift because the car wants to hold onto the revs (more aggressive with the power switch on, holds onto revs even longer).

As for steering, it's unfortunate that Lexus didn't 'advertise' this 'feature'. It's something that BMW charges $2000 for and that is the vehicle speed sensing steering. Thus, at slow speeds, steering is heavily aided by power steering and so it feels light. At high speeds steering feels heavy. If Lexus had decided not to include this as standard (and perhaps put it in the Luxury package) then the steering would feel a lot like the BMW, which btw feels like power steering is lacking.

Whatever...
Old 01-13-06 | 01:38 AM
RoRo
Driver

A manual transmission would have gone a long way in my opinion towards accomplishing a sportier feel. It just gives you so much more control and connects you so much more directly to the car.
Just disable the VDIM and go smoke the tires in an empty parking lot. Once you're highly intoxicated on the smell of burnt rubber, you'll forget all about the lack of a manual transmission.

On a side note, WOW, I didn't realize there were so many magazine racers in here.

Back in 2002-03, I had an RSX s and I did not like the steering feedback of the stock setup, so I replaced the stock tires/rims with some 18s and it made a world of difference. Instant response when I would slightly move the wheel. I would recommend trying out different tires/rims and then taking the car out again. It sounds to me like the IS is your daily driver. If so, then just be happy that you can afford a very nice quality daily driver like this and sit back and enjoy the luxuries of the car. When you need more power, then drop off the IS and go pick up your highly modified EVO.
Old 01-13-06 | 02:06 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

I drive an S2000.... about 3 days a week (it's the wife's car, we commute together and switch off between cars to keep the mileage sane). I have a 60 mile commute... one way.

There's nothing peaky about the S2K. It's just two engines wrapped in one car... it behaves like a Civic under 6300rpm. Above that it rips your face off. And unless you're used to driving big block chevy's (which I did when I was young, and I don't miss it), it certainly doesn't lack torque. The car pulls perfectly fine (Civic like) from a very reasonable 1800rpm or so. You won't win any races when it's not on the cam, but it's a nice drive. The six speed is also the best I've ever driven, hands down.

And don't forget it's a convertible... that's the whole point!
Old 01-13-06 | 07:00 AM
Seattle350
Rookie

Originally Posted by gshb
Ok, first of all the paddle shifters on the automatic tranny are just about as good as any other paddle shifter save of course the SMG (which isnt comparable since its a manual). Shifts can occur quickly even when shifting up as long as you ease off the gas. Keeping the gas on while shifting results in a lagged shift because the car wants to hold onto the revs (more aggressive with the power switch on, holds onto revs even longer).

As for steering, it's unfortunate that Lexus didn't 'advertise' this 'feature'. It's something that BMW charges $2000 for and that is the vehicle speed sensing steering. Thus, at slow speeds, steering is heavily aided by power steering and so it feels light. At high speeds steering feels heavy. If Lexus had decided not to include this as standard (and perhaps put it in the Luxury package) then the steering would feel a lot like the BMW, which btw feels like power steering is lacking.

Whatever...
Where did you get the story abt the steering? BMW offers the active steering option which is completely different from the speed sensitive steering standard on most cars....
Old 01-13-06 | 08:14 AM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Seattle350
Where did you get the story abt the steering? BMW offers the active steering option which is completely different from the speed sensitive steering standard on most cars....
ditto

(wow message was too short so I had to write this just to post it)
Old 01-13-06 | 08:16 AM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES3
Gaijin, no flames here, just us posting our opinions the very same way youv'e done as well. I didn't realize you were in the auto-biz, that seems to make your frequent car jumping more understandable. At any rate, maybe you can learn to tolerate your IS350 until THIS comes out.

That seems like a wonderful idea as long as I get a big raise or the housing market shoots up again. Love the car, but it's gonna have, what, like a $70k price tag?
Old 01-13-06 | 08:18 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Originally Posted by Seattle350
Well said! I think he may have meant active steering on the Bimmer but didn't know what it's called. By the same token, Lexus doesn't advertise their steering set up because there's not much innovative or special about it. It's just a finely tuned pricise, but common tech system.
Old 01-13-06 | 08:22 AM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by RoRo
Just disable the VDIM and go smoke the tires in an empty parking lot. Once you're highly intoxicated on the smell of burnt rubber, you'll forget all about the lack of a manual transmission.

On a side note, WOW, I didn't realize there were so many magazine racers in here.

Back in 2002-03, I had an RSX s and I did not like the steering feedback of the stock setup, so I replaced the stock tires/rims with some 18s and it made a world of difference. Instant response when I would slightly move the wheel. I would recommend trying out different tires/rims and then taking the car out again. It sounds to me like the IS is your daily driver. If so, then just be happy that you can afford a very nice quality daily driver like this and sit back and enjoy the luxuries of the car. When you need more power, then drop off the IS and go pick up your highly modified EVO.

Have been disabling the VDIM every time I drive it and it does help a little. Got yelled at yesterday for leaving some smoke and tire tracks outside of my buddy's shop.

I don't need the manual transmission to aid acceleration as the auto does just fine on that one, I need it for the control and more direct driving feel. You can't rev match down shift as easily with the auto and you really can't heel toe. I drive a lot and I use those manuevers as distractions from the doldrums of commuting. Now, I just have a go pedal and a stop pedal and I really miss my fun pedal.
Old 01-13-06 | 08:27 AM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by diablo1
That's the M6 dude. Base price more like $95-100k.

My bad. I thought it was supposed to be a pic of the new M3. I am very familiar with the new M6 and it is right up there with an original M6 (you know, the one with the M1 engine in it) as one of my dream cars. I would need to be pretty much promoted to owner or something to afford that car. Oh, wait, I could've just spent the money that I spent on my Evo and this IS and that would've gotten me there. $35k for the Evo plus $30k in mods plus $48k for the Lex = one *****in beemer plus some mod money left over.
Old 01-13-06 | 08:39 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

My bad. I thought it was supposed to be a pic of the new M3. I am very familiar with the new M6 and it is right up there with an original M6 (you know, the one with the M1 engine in it) as one of my dream cars. I would need to be pretty much promoted to owner or something to afford that car. Oh, wait, I could've just spent the money that I spent on my Evo and this IS and that would've gotten me there. $35k for the Evo plus $30k in mods plus $48k for the Lex = one *****in beemer plus some mod money left over.
Actually you are right, that is MY bad. Sorry about that. It's definitely a 3 front and not a 6. Deleted my other post.

I wish I could like the new BMWs. Maybe once my lease is up I'll look at them again. Until then, iDrive + electrical problems = no thanks.
Old 01-13-06 | 09:40 AM
3erbeatsIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diablo1
Wait, handling is sloppy and boarderline dangerous, but you're sure it's a wonderful car? What exactly are you trying to say? I'm you're dissing the car, be more clear about it, so we can all flame you. haha j/k

Well, shes pretty much set on one and if its in my garage I con't complain too much. It is RWD, well built, and a pretty good value . Like I said hopefully the Sport version will feel different.
Old 01-13-06 | 11:08 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by Low J.
Sorry, you lose this one......the RX8 is classified exclusively as a sports car not only by Mazda but by every car magazine and automotive professional on the planet......and they don't get "paid" by Mazda. This one just isn't even up for debate and the definitive proof is as close as Google.

Yeah, the STi is built right alongside the WRX.......and they're both based on the econobox we all know as the Impreza which actually costs $17k these days. As for the specs on an STi, I know every nut and bolt and spec of that car like the back of my hand......that's not news to me. I'm not saying the STi is crap.....like I said, I love them.....3 of my buddies own them......I'm just saying the RX8 has a more pure sporting heritage as it was specifically designed as a sports car whereas the STi was was originally an econobox.

No, the S2000 does not beat an RX8 pretty well. And although I know this because I read everything there is on cars constantly, you seem to need something other than my word so here's some more info to back this up. As you'll see, there's just about nothing between these 2 cars in any aspect of performance. And just for kicks when looking up this info I came across the "Top Gear" website where incidentally the STi lapped just a little over a second faster than the RX8 on their test track. Anyone who says cars like the RX8, Miata, etc. are just "chick" cars simply doesn't know about cars.

From Automobile Magazine:

"Compared with similarly peaky engines such as the Honda S2000's 240-horsepower, 2.0-liter in-line four-cylinder, the RX-8's rotary is far more drivable thanks to its inherent smoothness and willingness to rev."

From Sport Compact Car

RX-8

0-60 mph: 6.8 sec.
1/4 Mile: 14.9 sec. @ 93.1 mph
Slalom: 70.6 mph (700 ft.)
Skidpad: 90g (200 ft.)
60-0 Braking: 112 ft.

S2000

0-60 mph: 6.4 sec
Quarter Mile time: 14.4 sec @ 97.2 mph
Lateral Grip (200-ft. skidpad): 0.89g
Slalom Speed (700-ft. slalom): 71.0 mph
60-0 Stopping Distance: 113 ft.

^^ Sport Compact Car as a reputable source??? Ok, Ill bite, but its still a spanking. .5 seconds in a quarter is a spanking alone. But still, post up some track time. As I refer to "dominate", I refer to track times.. the S2000 "dominates" it on any performance circuit whether it be AutoX or a *real* track.

Since when is a car an Econobox when its base model goes for *$20000*

Indeed, the Sti is kind of based off a *$20000* car.. that being a Impreza RS. But since when was an RS even an econobox? An Econobox is a Mistu Lancer or a Geo Metro. I think you let your hate get the best of your emotions. The RS Impreza competes with cars like the Mazda 6 and Honda Prelude type of cars and has an interior to match its $20000 class. I think your comments are kind of goofy. Are you calling an Impreza an "econobox" based of comparisons to a Jaguar or a Geo Metro??? Really... since even the RS features one of the most advanced AWD systems on any production car, I think your goofy.

The Miata is also a hairdressers car.. but the thing is damn nice.. its a SPORTS CAR.. that being a 2 seat, 2 door car period...

The Rx8 will always be a wanna be…
Old 01-13-06 | 11:34 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Gaijin, you know you're just bursting to mod the IS. Look at the cars you've owned and driven and how much you've spent on them? Look at the 1/4 mile time you layed down on the IS?! Come on be honest, you want to do what Tuner Transformation did to the 330i auto, and put an M5 6speed box in it and spend $17,000 in mods to make look, feel and handle like a car from Need for Speed

Quick Reply: already sick of the IS