IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

already sick of the IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06 | 03:23 PM
LexFather

Guys, this is about the IS. If u want to continue talking RX-8 vs S2000, please start a thread in car chat! Thanks
Old 01-13-06 | 03:27 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys, this is about the IS. If u want to continue talking RX-8 vs S2000, please start a thread in car chat! Thanks
How about some bmw talk then? :-P
Latest 3 series coupe spy shot
Old 01-13-06 | 03:53 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gaijin
The interior on the Evo VIII is ugly, but it is a purpose built car and you can definately tell that the interior is more of an afterthought. The interior in the IX is much improved, but still won't match that on pretty much any other car in the same price range.

I don't really care about interior design as much as driving feel. The M3 would have probably been the best choice for me, but I have friends that have already had them, so I wanted something new.

I am not comparing the handling of the IS to the Evo, just to cars like the '91 M5 whose driving dynamics I was hoping would be paralleled in this car. It seemed like a pretty fair request, but I think that Lexus has missed the sports sedan mark a little and just made another sedan with a kick *** engine.

Audi A4, Bimmer 3 series, Infiniti G35, Acura TL

Of all those that you mentioned, there is a reason the 3 series always wins when mags do comparos. It is the only true sports sedan on that list. I don't think that the other car makers quite get that it is about the total balance between all the aspects of performance. I don't want a 3 series because they are too common. I was hoping for something a little more unique and I liked being one of the first people in my area to have the new IS.

If Pugeot or Renault make it over here with some of there sport sedan offerings, that might be a little more up my ally. I was also considering an S60R so maybe some of you can see where I am going with this.
Gaiijin I may be a little late here but since you're not on lease go for some Coilovers if they're out for your car. Get Tein brand CS Flex ones since most people who have them on this board say the ride like stock comfort wise but with performance plus lowering capability.

NExt I would look into some sway bars, and then a strut tower brace under the hood to increase handling. All those mods cost about <2500 in parts and should get you on the right track ASAP. If you want brakes talk to some guys here that got big brake kits and your performance/handling woes will be put to rest. Your flat handling no body roll IS will make you change your mind about the Lexus brand name. Read all the guys on this board who followed those footsteps and see their responces.
Old 01-13-06 | 04:13 PM
Ratman009
Driver

Default Actually, the TSX is a better "driver's car"

Originally Posted by Low J.
C'mon now.......the TSX has 100 less HP and worst of all is FWD!!!! There's no "excitement" in driving an FWD car. Acura will never have a true sports sedan until they start driving the rear wheels. I've been in the TSX.....it doesn't hold a candle to the IS350 in any possible measurement except that they do offer a very slick 6 speed........but then again so does the IS250 which is more comparable to the TSX in the power department.

The TSX offers a much more "involving" drivers' experience than the IS. The chassis, the steering, the slick little stick shift all help create that sense of "oneness" with the car that the Lexus just plain lacks. Yes, the car is definitely down on HP, but so is the IS250 (and it weighs more). Honda/Acura really did a tremendous design job with the TSX. You can barely tell that the car is FWD. It is so nimble and responsive without being harsh (the car could seriously use better tires though) and just feels so damn good. If the car had 50+ more HP, I probably would have bought one. The interior is great, visibility is excellent all around (something the IS seriously lacks - just not enough glass), blah blah blah.

Yes, an IS 350 HP is rather intoxicating and makes the comparison to the TSX tough, but after driving the IS250 AWD on a curvy mountain road, the TSX offered much more "excitement," at least to a driving enthusiast like myself. Take out the HP of the IS350(or better yet, compare the TSX to an IS250, which is still about 5K more expensive), and the TSX is a better "driver's car" than an IS350 as well. Oddly, the FWD TSX didn't seem to have any less understeer than the RWD or AWD IS did. Horsepower isn't everything, but it does help mask a car's faults very well (think late 90's Camaros, Firebirds, Mustang GTs, and most recently, the IS350). I am by no means comparing the new IS to any of these American "muscle cars," as the new IS350 is a significantly better vehicle in just about every conceivable way, just stating that the awesome straight line acceleration of the new IS clouds people's judgement on the overall merits of the car.
Old 01-13-06 | 04:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ratman009
The TSX offers a much more "involving" drivers' experience than the IS. The chassis, the steering, the slick little stick shift all help create that sense of "oneness" with the car that the Lexus just plain lacks. Yes, the car is definitely down on HP, but so is the IS250 (and it weighs more). Honda/Acura really did a tremendous design job with the TSX. You can barely tell that the car is FWD. It is so nimble and responsive without being harsh (the car could seriously use better tires though) and just feels so damn good. If the car had 50+ more HP, I probably would have bought one. The interior is great, visibility is excellent all around (something the IS seriously lacks - just not enough glass), blah blah blah.

Yes, an IS 350 HP is rather intoxicating and makes the comparison to the TSX tough, but after driving the IS250 AWD on a curvy mountain road, the TSX offered much more "excitement," at least to a driving enthusiast like myself. Take out the HP of the IS350(or better yet, compare the TSX to an IS250, which is still about 5K more expensive), and the TSX is a better "driver's car" than an IS350 as well. Oddly, the FWD TSX didn't seem to have any less understeer than the RWD or AWD IS did. Horsepower isn't everything, but it does help mask a car's faults very well (think late 90's Camaros, Firebirds, Mustang GTs, and most recently, the IS350). I am by no means comparing the new IS to any of these American "muscle cars," as the new IS350 is a significantly better vehicle in just about every conceivable way, just stating that the awesome straight line acceleration of the new IS clouds people's judgement on the overall merits of the car.
This is the funniest thing I've read thus far in 2006!!
Old 01-13-06 | 05:40 PM
Seattle350
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is the funniest thing I've read thus far in 2006!!
Ditto...
Old 01-13-06 | 06:19 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I can see why the TSX is better than the IS250 AWD on a curvey mountain road. 1 its more nimble and has a better power/weight ratio. But I bet if you drove it in the snow or rain, you would enjoy the IS much more.

You basically took all the advantages of AWD away from the IS250, and left it with all its disadvantages. Thats the same as people who wanted to race me from a roll when I had my GSX. So take away my AWD, and I am left with a heavier car that has more Drivetrain loss.

The IS350 is more fun than than the TSX. Unless you take away the power, and the Braking system, and the wider tires, and the smoother acceleration. Then then the TSX will be more enjoyable than the IS350

Turn on the power mode on the 350 and turn off the VDIM.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-13-06 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-13-06 | 07:13 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Good One ! Did you hear the one? Peter Pan shows up at the mazda dealership in Jersey City, and says to a salesman ,"I want to buy a Miata."
The salesman says " OK, but tell me Peter, why do you fly so high?"........................
(I can't finish the joke, I don't want to offend).

See, I'm being nice Neo
Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 01-13-06 | 07:43 PM
RA010324
Driver

Man, I don't know what kinda TSX you guys are driving but the one I drove didn't feel even a pube hair better than the IS250. My IS250 powers nice and smooth out of corners and handles nice and balanced. The TSX just keeps trying to rip the steering wheel outta your hands and definitely isn't any flatter or more composed in a corner. The TSX was so boring and un-involving it didn't even come CLOSE to being a consideration for me. All I can think is that many who are saying this just haven't taken an IS250 through it's paces on some twisty N.C. backroads..........I did last weekend.
Old 01-13-06 | 07:52 PM
RA010324
Driver

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
^^ Sport Compact Car as a reputable source??? Ok, Ill bite, but its still a spanking. .5 seconds in a quarter is a spanking alone. But still, post up some track time. As I refer to "dominate", I refer to track times.. the S2000 "dominates" it on any performance circuit whether it be AutoX or a *real* track.

Since when is a car an Econobox when its base model goes for *$20000*

Indeed, the Sti is kind of based off a *$20000* car.. that being a Impreza RS. But since when was an RS even an econobox? An Econobox is a Mistu Lancer or a Geo Metro. I think you let your hate get the best of your emotions. The RS Impreza competes with cars like the Mazda 6 and Honda Prelude type of cars and has an interior to match its $20000 class. I think your comments are kind of goofy. Are you calling an Impreza an "econobox" based of comparisons to a Jaguar or a Geo Metro??? Really... since even the RS features one of the most advanced AWD systems on any production car, I think your goofy.

The Miata is also a hairdressers car.. but the thing is damn nice.. its a SPORTS CAR.. that being a 2 seat, 2 door car period...

The Rx8 will always be a wanna be…
OK, here's more for you since my last post full of data and opinions gathered from automotive professionals still won't set you straight.........S2000 comes in third in this Motortrend shootout......RX8 comes in first.......performance data is just about dead even across the board.....again. We should make you get an RX8 avatar as much as you've been owned on this.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ee/index7.html

And yes, the Impreza is an econobox.....it's Suby's Lancer/Sentra/Cavalier and they start at like $16k, not $20k.
Old 01-13-06 | 09:11 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobbo1978
How about some bmw talk then? :-P
Latest 3 series coupe spy shot
My eyes!!! Dude that looks worst than shiet. Do me a favor and promise to never "ever", post something that ugly, ever again, thanks.
Old 01-13-06 | 09:58 PM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

I didn't feel like reading eight pages of posts, but if you didn't already test drive a 2006 BMW 330i w/sport package and 6MT, you should have. It's a blast to drive and has a real back seat too. Don't get hung up on 1/4 mi. times unless you are a track guy. I've already done the straight line track thing with my Mustang GT and I'm through with that phase. The 330i with 6MT is quick enough for street driving. I wanted a quick sedan with great road feel and a real back seat for my child. The IS 350 was not the car for me.

I test drove the IS350 without the salesperson around Thanksgiving. It was super quick and at the time, I thought it had good road feel. Then I test drove the 2006 BMW 330i w/sport package and learned what road feel was supposed to be like. I also felt cramped in the IS and driver visibility was horrible. The back seat is a joke in the IS when you consider is listed as a sedan.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-14-06 | 10:22 AM
gaijin
Rookie

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Gaijin, you know you're just bursting to mod the IS. Look at the cars you've owned and driven and how much you've spent on them? Look at the 1/4 mile time you layed down on the IS?! Come on be honest, you want to do what Tuner Transformation did to the 330i auto, and put an M5 6speed box in it and spend $17,000 in mods to make look, feel and handle like a car from Need for Speed
That is why I really wanted a car that I would be happy with keeping it stock. I thought that if I got an automatic and a car without a large aftermarket then I would be able to resist the mod bug, but that just isn't so. I really can't wait for i/h/e and suspension components to be released and I am sure that will help me enjoy this car more. And maybe if a 350 manual is released in the next couple years I can just do a swap (if I still have the car ).
Old 01-14-06 | 11:37 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by Low J.
OK, here's more for you since my last post full of data and opinions gathered from automotive professionals still won't set you straight.........S2000 comes in third in this Motortrend shootout......RX8 comes in first.......performance data is just about dead even across the board.....again. We should make you get an RX8 avatar as much as you've been owned on this.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ee/index7.html

And yes, the Impreza is an econobox.....it's Suby's Lancer/Sentra/Cavalier and they start at like $16k, not $20k.
are you old enough to drive? owned? You jus degraded this argument to a teeny boppers forums.

Don’t pick the only one review of the S2000 in 15 that that the mag rated better then S2000 and put it up as a fact. You can even look at their statistics and the S2000 pummeled it in everything except braking. It makes more since when you note that that review was done right as the RX8 was released and the mag had a 15 page paid for advertisement for the Rx8 with it.

Besides the fact that you are an arm chair computer magazine racer. Go look in the real world at real tracks.

Don’t forget that the "econobox" sti won Motor Trends reader choice car of the year in 94 OVER the RX8. Calling an Impreza an econobox clearly shows your lack of car understanding, have you ever sat in one?

I saw 3 RX8's yesterday... all women... the Sti and S2000 is a mans car, your Rx8 is for hairdressers

Those Rx8’s were released here in my area and the same 8 sat on the lots for 6+ months after the car was released.
Old 01-14-06 | 11:43 AM
tim817
Intermediate

No offense to anyone here that have RX8 but 80% RX8 i've seen are driven by women..

Quick Reply: already sick of the IS