IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 02:29 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 Manual

Is there anything out there that is hinting that a manual 350 will be available in '07? I am in the market to buy a 350 in May or so, but don't want to buy an auto if a manual will be available in the fall. Anyone have any info?
Old 01-11-06, 03:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
Is there anything out there that is hinting that a manual 350 will be available in '07? I am in the market to buy a 350 in May or so, but don't want to buy an auto if a manual will be available in the fall. Anyone have any info?
Not a peep yet. I don't even think the new 3.5 has a manual offering in ANY Toyota or Lexus. If so please correct me, b/c I smell swap
Old 01-11-06, 03:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No word yet about a manual 350. Perhaps it will show up for the coupe? I think the IS will be "old" news with the new LS taking all the limelight...
Old 01-11-06, 04:02 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not a peep yet. I don't even think the new 3.5 has a manual offering in ANY Toyota or Lexus. If so please correct me, b/c I smell swap
swaping is too expensive.. just trade yours in and buy one. that way you won't have any problems...
Old 01-11-06, 04:14 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With what the 0-60 time is with the IS350 , i don't see how manual would
make that big of difference.. Right now it's at about 5.3 seconds (so i read).
do you guys really think with a manual tranny, a 3,600lb. non v-8 car with only 306 hp
is going to break into the 4 second range? I doubt it,, Unless you just like
the hassle of shifting gears, for whatever reason.. I personally would only
choose manual if i were in the market for a pure sportscar, IE. corvette, M3, etc..

Instead of complaining that lexus doesnt offer a manual, we should be thankful
that they made an auto, that is able to achieve such a great 0-60 / 1/4 time, just think
of it as we get the best of both worlds
Old 01-11-06, 04:17 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as i remember....

even the IS250 auto gets about the same or even better gas mileage... than the IS250 manual??
Old 01-11-06, 04:18 PM
RA010324
Driver

Originally Posted by Tony1
do you guys really think with a manual tranny, a 3,600lb. non v-8 car with only 306 hp
choose manual if i were in the market for a pure sportscar, IE. corvette, M3, etc..

that they made an auto, that is able to achieve such a great 0-60 / 1/4 time, just think

Ummmm........NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shifting gears is not a hassle....it's called driving.....hence the term "sport" sedan. You want a slushbox, get a cadillac or a Lincoln. Not putting a manual in the IS350 was a HUGE **** up.
Old 01-11-06, 04:57 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Low J.
Ummmm........NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shifting gears is not a hassle....it's called driving.....hence the term "sport" sedan. You want a slushbox, get a cadillac or a Lincoln. Not putting a manual in the IS350 was a HUGE **** up.

I don't think the time and money it would of cost lexus to add a manual to
their lineup would of paid off at all, After all, most ppl choose auto over manual
and especially with lexus, their target customer is more luxury oriented..
Do you really think Lexus didn't do their homework on what their main consumer targets would be??
Old 01-11-06, 05:19 PM
RA010324
Driver

I don't think the time and money it would of cost lexus to add a manual to
their lineup would of paid off at all, After all, most ppl choose auto over manual
and especially with lexus, their target customer is more luxury oriented..
Do you really think Lexus didn't do their homework on what their main consumer targets would be??

Yeah, those manuals available in BMW's sure doesn't pay off

Somewhere around 40% of all 3 series are sold with a manual and the 3 series cars make up 60% of BMW sales. Until Lexus puts the manual in the IS350, they'll sure get traditional lazy auto-tranny luxo-commuter lovers.....but they won't steal sport sedan buyers away from BMW.
Old 01-11-06, 05:45 PM
Cleric
Driver

Somewhere around 40% of all 3 series are sold with a manual and the 3 series cars make up 60% of BMW sales. Until Lexus puts the manual in the IS350, they'll sure get traditional lazy auto-tranny luxo-commuter lovers.....but they won't steal sport sedan buyers away from BMW.
I too wish the IS350 would be offered with a manual tranny, but I will also say that it is not the goal of Lexus to steal market share from BMW or their customers. You would be surprised how humble Toyota is as a company when it comes to aknowledging the competition and to addressing the wants and desires of their customers. Toyota truely does make a good effort in designing for the customer, but at the same time they will not make a poor investment decision. If demand for a manual in the 350 is high enough (They keep track of how many 250 manuals are sold. This data is used for something right?) don't be surpsrised to see one in a future model year.
Old 01-11-06, 05:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Somewhere around 40% of all 3 series are sold with a manual and the 3 series cars make up 60% of BMW sales.
You may be right if you're talking about world wide, since vast majority of Europeans drive manuals, it's just the opposite in N.America, even for BMW.
The problem with Lexus is that the IS 350 isn't even offered in Europe now or in the forseeable future, they will not have the volume like the 330's worldwide to justify it.

I would like a manual IS350 too, but I won't be holding my breath . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-11-06 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-11-06, 06:31 PM
RA010324
Driver

Originally Posted by AmethySC
You may be right if you're talking about world wide, since vast majority of Europeans drive manuals, it's just the opposite in N.America, even for BMW.
The problem with Lexus is that the IS 350 isn't even offered in Europe now or in the forseeable future, they will not have the volume like the 330's worldwide to justify it.

I would like a manual IS350 too, but I won't be holding my breath . . .

In Europe it was something like 80%
Old 01-11-06, 07:34 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a MT would drop 3-4 tenths off the 1/4 mile time.
Old 01-11-06, 07:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Huh. They stole you apparently.
Old 01-11-06, 08:26 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Well if the IS350 were as slow as the 330i, then of course more ppl would choose
manual!

Quick Reply: IS 350 Manual