Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if my EX-L gets your Touring
Old 01-12-06, 07:54 PM
dlomshek
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks RoRo nice report and congrats on your breaking into the 13's.
Old 01-12-06, 11:54 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice post!
Old 01-13-06, 12:48 AM
RoRo
Driver

Originally Posted by keeeeez
I wonder if my EX-L gets your Touring
I don't understand??

dlomshek. and everyone else. I am far from being done with this vehicle. Hopefully soon, you'll be congratulating me on breaking into the 12s and then some.
Old 01-13-06, 02:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Just for clarification...it's TRAC/VSC disable aka DYNO MODE. There is no such thing as a VDIM disable.
Old 01-13-06, 03:17 PM
RoRo
Driver

I removed some things from the car today:

I did put some things back on though. The stock set up is an X type where 2 pipes go into 1 and then into a y-pipe and out to 2 mufflers to the rear. This new set up is just 2 pipes back to the 2 mufflers and new tips in the rear.

And finally a shot of the rear of the car since I debadged it and with the new exhaust tips:

I was going to take the front and rear L off and paint them black and put them back on, but i'm still undecided if I'm going to do that or not. I'm going to get dark tint put on the windows later today or possibly tomorrow. I'm calling to get another dyno scheduled for today to see if I might have picked up a few horses with the new system. It feels faster, but who knows. The theme i'm going for with this one is obviously black and chrome. I'm calling my tire/rim hook-up to see about getting some black 19s with a nice fat chrome lip in the rear and a smaller lip in the front. I was thinking I wanted 5 stars of some sort, but I saw a Bimmer sitting on some nice black multi-spoke rims earlier that might look very nice.

For the performance crew, don't sweat it, this would just be the rolling around town set-up. I still plan on taking a ton of weight out of this thing and taking it to the drag strip every chance I get. I've already got a set of BFG drag radials on hold for it whenever I call them up to order them. I'm still researching multiple lightweight rims though so it might take a few more days.

Oh yeah, the power to weight ratio of this thing stock was:

3527 lbs (once again using Edmunds estimate)/306 hp at the crank = 11.526

3527/268.69 (hp at the wheels) = 13.127

Taking that exhaust off and putting two pipes on today added 8.5 lbs. I took my scale with me as you can see in one of the pictures. Don't worry, i've already got a journal going on this car and i've already taken out 88.5 lbs. Not to worry.....I haven't butchered it up (YET). I just started with the trunk and carefully and gently removed all of the lining, the spare tire, jack, and misc plastic parts. I also removed all of the covers from the engine bay. I'm not throwing them away this time.

So my latest power/weight ratio is:

3447 lbs/268.69 hp = 12.829 lbs per hp.

The next step is the rear seat and door panels. I'm hoping to get about 450ish pounds out of this thing and get the power/weight ratio down into the single digits. It should be easily accomplished as I know Lexus puts a ton of crap into their cars to virtually eliminate all road noises. I am also looking into getting a custom intake made for it, which should add a few ponies. The stock air intake looks very restrictive, with the air having to make several u-turns and up and down motions before it gets to the throttle body. When I had the G35 coupe a couple years ago, I took the stock intake off and replaced it with the stock intake from the 350Z, that gained almost 9 hp to the wheels, so i'm hoping for similar results.

Well, I just got back from the dyno and I gained 4.75 hp and 7.41 torque at the wheels. Here's the dyno sheet from today. The red line is today's dyno compared to the blue line, which was the baseline dyno.

Latest power/weight ratio is:
3447lbs/273.44 hp = 12.606
Old 01-13-06, 07:40 PM
erock901
Rookie

Go Ro Ro Go! I've got to say that I've never thought about modding my IS350 but your posts are inspiring me! Thanks for taking the time to post all this info. Please continue to do so.
Old 01-13-06, 07:46 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoRo
I

The next step is the rear seat and door panels. I'm hoping to get about 450ish pounds out of this thing and get the power/weight ratio down into the single digits. It should be easily accomplished as I know Lexus puts a ton of crap into their cars to virtually eliminate all road noises. I am also looking into getting a custom intake made for it, which should add a few ponies. The stock air intake looks very restrictive, with the air having to make several u-turns and up and down motions before it gets to the throttle body. When I had the G35 coupe a couple years ago, I took the stock intake off and replaced it with the stock intake from the 350Z, that gained almost 9 hp to the wheels, so i'm hoping for similar results.

You're a sick , sick man! lol What kind of exhaust is that?
Did you remove the cats? They look like straight pipes to me...
Old 01-13-06, 08:04 PM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Wow RoRo, you are a busy man!

Can you post sound clips of the exhaust please? Your gains are pretty realistic as your baseline wasn't sandbagged.
Old 01-13-06, 08:52 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you have any holes when taking off the emblems?
Old 01-14-06, 06:18 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats-good to see someone experimenting with the IS already. Props to you for taking it to the track and dyno.

that exhaust looks like it breathes much better.
Old 01-14-06, 07:30 AM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RoRo
I don't understand??

dlomshek. and everyone else. I am far from being done with this vehicle. Hopefully soon, you'll be congratulating me on breaking into the 12s and then some.
LOL - I was referring to our Odysseys on the track in a race (yours Touring edition, mine EX-L edition). To put this post back on subject: Very nice times and great dyno numbers, thx for the info and keep it up.
Old 01-14-06, 12:30 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Whats next? The 4.8 L V8 LS engine for your IS ?
Old 01-28-06, 07:04 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1
You're a sick , sick man! lol What kind of exhaust is that?
Did you remove the cats? They look like straight pipes to me...
Too bad I can't do the same thing in Chicago. They look for and test the cats. Immediate fail without the darn things...

Percy
Old 02-02-06, 06:42 AM
RoRo
Driver

I took out another 59 lbs by removing the rear seats and various panels. The latest power/weight ratio is:

3388/273.44----------------------> 12.390 lbs per hp

My goal is to get that number into the 10s

Quick Reply: The IS had a busy day today