IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The IS had a busy day today

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 09:36 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoRo
I took out another 59 lbs by removing the rear seats and various panels. The latest power/weight ratio is:

3388/273.44----------------------> 12.390 lbs per hp

My goal is to get that number into the 10s
Are you that wealthy that you can rip apart a brand new IS350???

What made you buy an IS350 if your so into having a "pure sportscar?"
Why not an old supra turbo or a 300zx tt? they are much easier to modify,
and almost limitless in the HP you can achieve.. They also handle much
better just in stock form.. Just curious on your though process here.. :
Old 02-02-06, 10:19 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1
Are you that wealthy that you can rip apart a brand new IS350???

What made you buy an IS350 if your so into having a "pure sportscar?"
Why not an old supra turbo or a 300zx tt? they are much easier to modify,
and almost limitless in the HP you can achieve.. They also handle much
better just in stock form.. Just curious on your though process here.. :
I'm assuming he just wants to be unique. I respect that.
Old 02-02-06, 10:29 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He probably wants to see what the car can do. It's a new platform and he probably wants to push the limits of what it can do. A pioneer of sorts. Had to happen with the old Supras, 300zx, etc. Somebody had to do it first. If he pushes hard enough, he will probably become "the man" when it comes to the car. Not a bad thing if you ask me.

My challenge to Ro...go as fast as you can without any turbos or any supercharger or NOS. Would like to see what the motor can do. heck, blueprint the engine and push 400, 500, whatever you can out of the motor. It's one heck of a car and just needs the right person to push the limits, and debunk a few myths at the same time.

Percy
Old 02-02-06, 11:44 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, thats nuts!
Old 02-02-06, 11:53 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I'm assuming he just wants to be unique. I respect that.
or maybe he just wants to be fast.

I can understand taking stuff like that out for going to the track, but I personally wouldn't remove my back seats permanently.
Old 02-02-06, 03:02 PM
RoRo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is not my daily driver, I would never tear apart the inside of a daily driver. It was bought for the sole purpose of racing. My motives are to make the car as fast as possible, do something nobody else has done (IS350), and I chose the IS350 because it is a great platform to start from. I was going to do this to a new GTO, which I bought last June, but I just didn't like the car overall so I got rid of it. I am happy overall with this car and how it has started. My next goal is to get an intake, drag radials, and of course remove some more weight.
Old 02-02-06, 11:00 PM
her99rx300
Driver School Candidate

That's all nice but...

Tell us more about the 997 S. Quarter mile times/speeds, etc
Old 02-03-06, 02:23 PM
RoRo
Driver

I haven't run the 997 S down the drag strip yet. I got it in August and take it out on the weekends. It only has 1450 miles on it. It is much faster than the IS right now, but i'm working on that.

I took out another 47 lbs out of the IS today. I removed the stock battery (42 lbs) and replaced with a lightweight Optima battery (15.5 lbs) I took out the rear door panels (16 lbs) and the floor mats and various panels (4.5 lbs). The latest power/weight ratio is:

3341/273.44 = 12.218

I ordered the LMS intake from Steve today. That should be here by next Tuesday and I can hardly wait. I will have a dyno set up for Tuesday evening so I can see what gains in HP the intake gave me. I also talked to Steve for quite some time today and he has convinced me that I lost a ton of back pressure by taking out the second set of cats, resonator, and rear mufflers, and replacing them all with straight pipes and two smaller mufflers. So I called my local muffler shop and am going to take the IS in to have a small resonator put on each straight pipe. I will then take it to the dyno shop again and see if I picked up a substantial amount of HP from adding the resonators. I'm pretty tight with the muffler shop manager and he's agreed that if I don't see any gains, then he will not charge me. All I have to do is take in my dyno sheets and he'll work something out with me. Thicker head gaskets might be in order for the future of the IS to run lower compression so that I can run more boost in the long run whenever I do finally add a supercharger. Let's just say that a trip out to Cali to drop off this car is in the very near future (within 3 weeks). Oh yeah, I also have decided that I want to go with a set of Volk LE 28 N wheels in black with a polished lip. 17" only weigh 14.7 lbs. I'm almost ready to order them from a shop out in Cali, but I want to do some research and make sure the company is legit first.

Let me know what you guys think.....
Old 02-03-06, 02:29 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RoRo
I haven't run the 997 S down the drag strip yet. I got it in August and take it out on the weekends. It only has 1450 miles on it. It is much faster than the IS right now, but i'm working on that.

I took out another 47 lbs out of the IS today. I removed the stock battery (42 lbs) and replaced with a lightweight Optima battery (15.5 lbs) I took out the rear door panels (16 lbs) and the floor mats and various panels (4.5 lbs). The latest power/weight ratio is:

3341/273.44 = 12.218

I ordered the LMS intake from Steve today. That should be here by next Tuesday and I can hardly wait. I will have a dyno set up for Tuesday evening so I can see what gains in HP the intake gave me. I also talked to Steve for quite some time today and he has convinced me that I lost a ton of back pressure by taking out the second set of cats, resonator, and rear mufflers, and replacing them all with straight pipes and two smaller mufflers. So I called my local muffler shop and am going to take the IS in to have a small resonator put on each straight pipe. I will then take it to the dyno shop again and see if I picked up a substantial amount of HP from adding the resonators. I'm pretty tight with the muffler shop manager and he's agreed that if I don't see any gains, then he will not charge me. All I have to do is take in my dyno sheets and he'll work something out with me. Thicker head gaskets might be in order for the future of the IS to run lower compression so that I can run more boost in the long run whenever I do finally add a supercharger. Let's just say that a trip out to Cali to drop off this car is in the very near future (within 3 weeks). Oh yeah, I also have decided that I want to go with a set of Volk LE 28 N wheels in black with a polished lip. 17" only weigh 14.7 lbs. I'm almost ready to order them from a shop out in Cali, but I want to do some research and make sure the company is legit first.

Let me know what you guys think.....
Resonators aren't going to add any backpressure. They're just there to quell the exhaust harmonics so it doesn't drone. I'd be really surprised if you see a change on the dyno.
Old 02-03-06, 03:19 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

RoRo, you're the man... that is awesome. I can see it now, if you get beat in the 997 and you tell the guy im coming back to race you in my IS... Id love to have a 997 daily driver and IS racecar. I wanted to ask if you took out all the sound proofing material when you removed the backseat? you might be able to shed a few pounds there as well. The only other suggestion I have is to scrap the Supercharger and go with a pair of ball bearing turbochargers.
Old 02-10-06, 09:57 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Bump. So that I can aid a future IS350 buyer.
Old 02-11-06, 12:33 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Deleted...........

Last edited by newr; 02-11-06 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-11-06, 03:00 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

I want to see turbo on this engine
Old 02-11-06, 05:42 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by heffergm
Resonators aren't going to add any backpressure. They're just there to quell the exhaust harmonics so it doesn't drone. I'd be really surprised if you see a change on the dyno.
Resonators can cause some noticeable backpressure depending how they are designed. My 05 GTO had a perforated metal can resonator that caused turbulence in the exhaust velocity and increased backpressure. Many of the first mods performed on those cars is to delete the resonator with straight pipe or add an X-pipe.
Old 06-14-06, 06:51 AM
RoRo
Driver

I fly out to cali this Friday night to pick the car up from LMS. The IS350 is finally done and I can't wait to get back into it. It's been 4 months since i've been racing. I'm tweaking.

Quick Reply: The IS had a busy day today