IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

which provider and which phone work with the 2006 IS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 10:05 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhoo
Bichon, would you please provide a link to the piruschat on where they are transferring entire phone books from computer to car. I too am using a RAZR V3c along with an SCH-i730. Thank You.

I think this link would benefit many and save all from the tedious task of entering each name and number.

Cheers!
Okay, fortunately I bookmarked this one. http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=6017&hl=

DOC file with instructions is at beginning of thread. Haven't tried it with my Lexus, but it looks like it ought to work. As for syncing the phone with Outlook, there are lots of programs (e.g. MPT, Datapilot, etc. that can do that)
Old 01-13-06, 05:44 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
good guess but your carrier basically has nothing to do with what works and what doesn't work. so i work for sprint, have been for many years, and have been working on sprint bluetooth phones before there ever was a company called cingular. of course bluetooth is not in every phone, doesn't need to be because we were producing phones before bt became popular in cars.
If you go back and READ my post you will see that i didnt say that the phone carrier you use has anything to do with what works and what doesnt work in your car... My statement was that Cingular and Tmobile are GSM carriers so they will have a BIGGER selection of bluetooth phones. After all ericsson is the company that the invented bluetooth and ericsson is a gsm only phone manufactuer.

Orignally bluetooth wasnt invented so you can talk handsfree in your car while doing 90 mph down the highway.... bluetooth was invented to use a handsfree headset so your statement about not needing bluetooth cause cars didnt have it is BS....

I was using a bluetooth phone and headset 4 yrs ago with my cingular phone... if you do your research both CDMA carriers (verizon & sprint) just put out their first bluetooth compatitable phone about 1 yr ago.

Its funny you say youve worked for sprint for yrs and never heard of Cingular lol ... Cingular has been around for yrs, maybe in Kanas it was At&t but now its all Cingular and they remain to be the #1 carrier in the US.
Old 01-13-06, 04:29 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMgs300
if you do your research both CDMA carriers (verizon & sprint) just put out their first bluetooth compatitable phone about 1 yr ago.
http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=1620
Old 01-14-06, 12:15 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Orignally bluetooth wasnt invented so you can talk handsfree in your car while doing 90 mph down the highway.... bluetooth was invented to use a handsfree headset so your statement about not needing bluetooth cause cars didnt have it is BS....

bluetooth was not invented for phones or cars. bluetooth was invented as a shortrange wireless network for computers and peripherals. its basically irrelevant because of wifi. not as irrelevant however as the old irda ports.
Old 01-14-06, 08:28 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Since when has sprint had a CDMA system? I was under the impression
that Verizon was the only carrier to have the CDMA.. ? Then again the last
time i looked into that was about 3 yrs ago.. Did Sprint finally upgrade??
Old 01-14-06, 09:10 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tony1
Verizon, Sprint, Alltel and US Cellular are all CDMA carriers. Sprint has used CDMA for as long as they have had digital phones. You were probably just confused by the terminology, as Sprint uses the terminology "PCS". Sprint PCS is CDMA on the 1900Mhz band. Verizon's digital network is dual band CDMA 800/1900Mhz. As a matter of fact, Verizon and Sprint even roam onto one anothers networks in some locations.
Old 01-14-06, 09:17 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tony1
Sprint had a CDMA system before Verizon Wireless even became the wireless company that it was today.
Sprint had the very first GSM network in the US before Cingular was even a GSM company.

Trust me, I was working at Sprint when all of this happened. Doesn't exactly mean Sprint is the best....
Old 01-14-06, 09:46 AM
pearl85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best?

In your opinion what is the best and why? Is it network, most used locations, CDMA vs GSM etc and thanks to kensteele for insight
Old 01-14-06, 01:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pearl85
In your opinion what is the best and why? Is it network, most used locations, CDMA vs GSM etc and thanks to kensteele for insight
I'm biased so I can't really give you a fair opinion on "the best", maybe others should weigh in with their experiences. But I can tell you that in the past Sprint has been dedicated to working with car manufacturers and the the companies that manufacturer their bluetooth kits to maximize the compatibility. Unfortunately I don't think Lexus is at the top of the list (like Chrysler, Acura, and some others) but now with Sprint Nextel, things might be changing a bit.

Also now that I drive a Lexus (used to drive the Acura), I will do my best to make it known that Lexus is the most important now.
Old 01-14-06, 03:26 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I've had Cingular, Sprint and Verizon, and I'd rate them, worst to best, in that order. Yes, Verizon has the highest prices, no 7:00 evenings or rollover minutes, heck, they even cancelled their policy of giving free calling on holidays. Their latest and greatest in phones, the Razr, was on Cingular and T-mobile a year ago. But their network, at least in the places I travel, blows the other companies away. And for me, the ability to make and receive calls anywhere, without dealing with dropped calls and incomprehensible speech, is my most important criteria.
Old 01-20-06, 02:25 AM
IS2Sav
Rookie

my verizon motorola v710 works just fine...
Old 01-20-06, 06:12 AM
Goldglv
Driver

I have Verizon and just recently purchased the Blackberry 7130e and it works fine. I haven't tried to sync the phone book, from what I understand you can only do that with a cingular plan. I used to have the Motorola V710 and that worked ok but a lot of times the bluetooth connection would say it failed. Now, as soon as I get in the car, it connects to my Blackberry 7130e right away.